Quantcast

Honest mechanics...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It is so hard to find an honest auto mechanic. Atleast here. My regular mechanic died. I had to find a new as my truck was running rough.

I found one the had the right computer for my truck but had no experience working on my truck and was honest about it. He charged $75 and hour though. Kind of pricey for around here. I searched for another guy.

The next guy I found had experience and said he didn't need the computer for my truck as he had a "friend" who had one if he needed it. He gave me a reasonable price for a tuneup and stated that is most likely what it needed. I couldn't even buy the parts as cheap so I was going to go with him.

Then a friend of mine said I had to get a second opinion from his "greatest" mechanic. I brought my truck there. He drove it and hooked it up to his computer for free while I waited. He said I needed a bunch of work as my records stated that I hadn't done this and hadn't done that. He said that even though I could get away with not changing out some stuff. But felt that I should "buck up" and not cheap out on my ride. He recommended starting form zero as he was now my new mechanic?? I felt uncomfortable with him. He kind of stated that he didn't really have experience on working on Toyota trucks it was basically still a truck. His arrogance turned me off.

I called up the garage around the corner from my house on a whim. He said he owns a Toyota truck (his wifes truck). He said he knew exactly what the problem was and I should bring it right down. He plugged in a vacuum line that had been pulled/worked out. He charged me nothing. My truck drives awesome now. I am loving life now.

jdcamb

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
www.ttora.com + Autozone for diagnostics.

AutoZone will plug in the OBDII and read the codes for free.

most of the "problems" i've had with my Toyota could have been taken care of by myself, like the O2 sensor i was told was bad by the auto mechanic. :rolleyes:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Corey over at carriage house performace is really good over on clifford ave. Nice guy and honest, usually does the work right there while I wait if I get there in the morning and its nothing major.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
GumbaFish said:
Corey over at carriage house performace is really good over on clifford ave. Nice guy and honest, usually does the work right there while I wait if I get there in the morning and its nothing major.
I need more work. I may check him out.... Thanks.