Quantcast

Honey I shrank the camera.....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Posted in another thread that I'd picked up the EOS M and 22mm f/2.0 prime for the screaming price of $299, well, here's a size comparison to my current XTi:

And here are some of the first shots out of it, from our trip to our local brewery. Needless to say, I'm utterly LOVING it.

Zero PP done, although I think there's already some adjustment going on in the camera. A couple more photos here:

http://kumicho.zenfolio.com/p859756129

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I assume (hope) you updated the firmware...

Glad you like it. Some of the reviews I've read of it basically tore it a new asshole.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I assume (hope) you updated the firmware...

Glad you like it. Some of the reviews I've read of it basically tore it a new asshole.
Firmware was already updated to 2.02 (the faster AF speed), and switching off Continuous focusing helped a ton. Most of the complaints I'd read about were:

Too expensive (fixed, bought for less than half what it retailed for when it was released)
Slow AF (mostly fixed, but not really expecting DSLR performance anyway, and especially not for $299)
No VF (don't care)

The thing is built like a tank, which is good because on the ride home from the brewery I gave it to my wife to put in her (open top) pannier. She's had it for almost 4 years, and it's NEVER come off even though it just hangs on the top of the rack........................ Plus I'd had it in my pocket for the ride out, but it's a bit bulky to ride with it there so I gave it to her to carry back.

Well, long story short there are a couple of small scratches on two of the corners and that's it. So the price, the build quality, the amazing 22mm lens, the IQ, all add up to an amazing deal, at least in my eyes. If I'd had to pay $800 when it came out, and the AF took two times as long I don't think I'd have been that happy.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Adapter showed up. 100mm f/2 goes from a small-looking lens on a DSLR to being a big lens on this thing.

Takes it from being kinda-pocketable to "not" pocketable, but definitely a cool option for those of us with lenses. Will probably keep the 22mm on it and then bring the 100mm with the adapter for special situations.