Quantcast

Hong Kong Phooey!!

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Sup guys, how ya goin.
I am over here in HK on my way down under.
I have had to extend my stay another week as an atm machine swallowed my card, and I have to wait until tuesday to get it back.
Anyhoo I met this local DH'er named Ben a couple of days ago and he took me riding. One of the coolest people I've ever had the chance to meet. He came and picked me up, took me riding to a couple of spots, and showed me around. It was an awesome day. He maintains a website here and posted some pics from the ride. You should check it out:
http://www.mtbunited.com/9-11-05.html
If you guys think we've got it bad at home with WIM closing doors, you should see how hard this guy works to keep the scene alive here.
Check the site out, look around, maybe it will put some things in perspective for all the WIM bashers.

Out

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Lars, dont give us yanks a bad name in HK. I will be there in a month or so, and I wanna be able to go hit the starbucks on my way home...

If im lucky were gonna check out Disney HK. I wish i had the time to hook up and ride there, that looks cool. I actually have a map of HK on my desk and see where TAI MO SHAN is... Maybe if i get more trips a year i can stash a bike...

Also, If you have some more time to kill go check out Stanley on the bottom side of the island. I got so trashed there last trip, the only thing I remember from the ride home is waking up in the tunnel that goes under the harbor to Kowloon.

Have fun in aussy land, Find a computer there and give us a report.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Nice pics bro! But what the hell are you doing in Hong Kong? And your on your way to Australia? Nice!!!!!!!!! Thats cool you are getting to meet the locals and do some riding. I'm jealous. Have fun on your trip.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Cool pics - looks like you're having a great time. Post more photos when you can. Are you planning on doing some races down under?

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Yeah we'll see there was a national round in Nannup near Perth next weekend I was planning to attend but due to circumstanses I will not make it. I'm sure there will be another random race I can find however.
I have a to n of pics already and have a site I can load them on, I just need to stop being so lazy.
And D I went to Stanley already and shopped and drank, that place is cool. I never saw the tunnel, but maybe I needed to drink more.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
ride said:
Sup guys, how ya goin.
I am over here in HK on my way down under.
I have had to extend my stay another week as an atm machine swallowed my card, and I have to wait until tuesday to get it back.
Anyhoo I met this local DH'er named Ben a couple of days ago and he took me riding. One of the coolest people I've ever had the chance to meet. He came and picked me up, took me riding to a couple of spots, and showed me around. It was an awesome day. He maintains a website here and posted some pics from the ride. You should check it out:
http://www.mtbunited.com/9-11-05.html
If you guys think we've got it bad at home with WIM closing doors, you should see how hard this guy works to keep the scene alive here.
Check the site out, look around, maybe it will put some things in perspective for all the WIM bashers.

Out
How long are you visiting for Lars?

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Hey if you go back to where those sweet jerseys are hook me up with an old suzuki jersey.....Have fun bro!!! bigger than those little sizes!!!

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I'm selling my bike in Australia, that's how.
My grandfather turned 90 in september. My brother and I were the only two members of the family that couldn't attend.
Now I've been given an opportunity to go there and most likely see my grandpops for the last time in my life.
You're damn right I made the irresponsible decision to go.

Mike I don't know you, so I can't pass judgement. And I hate when people get into this isht on some ghey intranet forum.

But you sure sound like an ass.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
MMike said:
Most people here would agree with you.... as would Simon I'm sure..... but I still think my question is valid....(And I know for a fact not I'm not the only one wondering the same thing)
Why do some people like creating anomosity? Why do you post stuff if you know people are just going to think your a dick. Lars - Hope your having fun thats the trip of a life time, Austrailia, Winter, Nationals. Rip it up.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
ride said:
You're damn right I made the irresponsible decision to go.
But racing DH at a pro level without medical insurance is.

I'm mostly a lurker - but when I read this thread I pretty much had the same thoughts as MMike. Especially after going back and re-reading THIS THREAD.

Perhaps that for the ones of us who have full time jobs, sometimes working in excess of 80 hours a week (but being paid only for 40) just make both ends meet, it’s harder to understand! You know..working hard, but would rather be on our bikes riding than sitting at a desk for 14 straight hours.

I’ve also been unfortunate enough to mess myself up pretty bad riding a bike – few nights at the hospital, 5+ hour surgery, many follow up visits, etc… so I know how expensive that can be. If it wasn’t for my medial insurance, I would be in debts for the rest of my life. Yeah okay, selling your bike AU might help you recover SOME of your travel expenses, but be realistic here: although I don’t know exactly how much your medical bills are, selling your bike won’t help much..

With that said – enjoy the time with your family and have fun in AU! I’m VERY jealous. I wish I could be there riding my bike rather than being here dealing with the corporate bull sh-t day in and day out. But that’s the decision I made – I got to pay the bills one way of the other ;)

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I don't expect the sale of my bike to cover any of my medical bills.
It is making my trip possible however.
Irresponsible in the fact that I should be at home phoning and faxing regarding my recently aquired medical expenses.
But I consiously made that decision.
Thank you for the wishes, I realize I am very fortunate for the opportunity to go. I am taking lots of pictures to share when I come home.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Dudes, this tread was about riding in HK....not about what happened last summer.

Honestly when I saw Lars riding again I was really happy for him and didn't even think about the accident or the medical bills until MMike mentioned it.

When Rhino was riding the year after his accident I don’t remember ppl questioning his financial situation.

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
LARS! SARSSSS!

You ****head, I am in Hong Kong toooo! Where are you??? Im not kidding...i will be here for 5 days! EMAIL ME!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Orfen said:
But racing DH at a pro level without medical insurance is.

I'm mostly a lurker - but when I read this thread I pretty much had the same thoughts as MMike. Especially after going back and re-reading THIS THREAD.
Kind of a weird situation you started here Lars.

Donations ONLY 3 months ago for hospital bill and then a spendy trip....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Certified Drunk said:
Why do you guys care where the money came from? and why should Lars explain himself in a public forum? More power to Lars for being able to go!
If you can't answer this question for yourself....

This is the same public forum that was used to solicit funds to get him out of medical debt. It seems appropriate that he at least preface this thread with some sort of explanation as to the main purpose of his trip (to see his dying family member) etc. If strangers are kind enough to lend you hand in a time of need, it not the best idea to throw it in their faces by posting up pictures of your amazing overseas vacation (that was essentially paid for with their money) only a few short months later.

I don't know the guy from Adam and what little I know of the situation is only what I've read in this thread, but I can say that it strikes me as awkward to say the least.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'd just like to point out that Lars never asked for charity. His friends did. I don't think the donations even came close to covering the bills. They helped get him home and back on his feet. If your friend fell down, would you help him back up?

Take care of your pops and do what you need to do Lars.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Thanks T.

Ok here's the deal. This is the last time I am going to comment on this thread regarding this. I know how these things spread like wildfire on internet forums, and being that I am a professional athlete I feel it is in my best interest to try and clear some things up.

I would like to thank all of my friends once again who rallied and helped me out of a tight spot. Apparently more people were aware of my crash, and then it seems more so my medical bills than I realized. I did not recieve massive amounts of cash to cover my hospital stay, and have now gone on holiday with the loot. Of the 10 or so people who helped me, I know 9 of them personally. And see them at nearly every mtn bike function in the region. Which is why I think they did kick down.
I was able to pay for some prescriptions, cover the two of the three weeks I was off work, and buy some groceries at my moms house for letting me sleep on her couch and eat some home cooking.
I think my friends that asked for help publicly (sp) were trying to do just that. And man I'll tell you it made that week alone in the hospital in Loops bearable, to know my friends were there for me and had my back.
Yes I do have a massive hospital bill, and guess what? I'm dealing with it myself. So now if I want to go and see family in Australia, and ride my bike a bit as well, while being in debt to the hospital, it's my choice to do so. Who knows maybe I'll pretend to be a 16 year old girl on the internet and won't have sell my bike to get back.
Now that D, was a good idea.

Lars

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Lars,

Glad i could help you find a way home. Remember, Your name is Cindy, your 16 and your all alone, and want a nice man in the states to take "care" of you..... all expenses paied of course....

Enjoy the trip.............

D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lars/ride, do you have insurance now to cover your overseas hijinks?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
An explanation is all we asked for. No one bad mouthed Lars. We were just curious. I dont know Lars personally but I have seen him ride a few times.

Your trip has to cost a fortune though. Hope the hospital isn't listening.... :);) Thats a joke Lars.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I went looking for a Suzuki one the other day and they only have Fox and or Honda. We'll have to make do good bud.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MMike said:
Oh of course not. It doesn't make it a good idea though. Not to mention you'd think one would learn a lesson......
I'm not saying it's right to ride without health insurance, I would never do it, but I'm not Lars and he's not me.

Until everyone knows the whole story about his trip they should all shut it.

benbmx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
T-town
Ride hard Lars. I’m very happy to see Lar’s out riding. Just because he got hurt and some of his friends helped him out doesn’t mean he has to stop until people think it’s an appropriate time for him to ride. I think 99% of us are glad Lar’s made such a quick recovery and never even thought about $$$.
There are tons of people in the world who don’t have insurance and cost everyone a lot more than a couple bike crashes. I think some people need stop criticizing other people and respect that Lars is out eating Ramen and riding his heart out on a budget and your stuck in a cubical all f’ing day.
Spend less time worrying about what other people are doing and focus on reaching your 10,000 post mark on the Monkey.Anyone who has made it to the top in a sport makes sacrifices. I’m sure Lars has medical bills to pay as a reminder of not having insurance. Just because some of us don’t have the balls to put it all on the line doesn’t mean we need to point out why we might think it’s irresponsible to not have insurance. Tear it up in AU Sternberg.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snacks said:
I'm not saying it's right to ride without health insurance, I would never do it, but I'm not Lars and he's not me.

Until everyone knows the whole story about his trip they should all shut it.
it's not about the trip. i don't care about that at all, in fact. continuing to ride dh without insurance (as is the implication from the lack of response to my question) is the point in question. size of balls and this trip are both equally irrelevant.