Quantcast

Hood Mussel...

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
that's one kickass ride!

I rode it this Summer with Scott LaPanne when he had the Avy fork and dual 24x3.0 Nokians.. it was the best friggin drop bike i've ridden... It was incredible given the 55 pound weight, that thing would climb the hills of Lynn Woods like a scalded monkey! manuals were a breeze too... can't figure out why, but like Sh*tscared, i'm in the process or getting one of these for myself. If anyone has a valid way for me to contact Jimmy, please let me know cuz his email address doesn't work anymore.

again, AWESOME bike!

(anyone wanna buy a couple Sinister R9's???) :p

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
sh*t scared said:
Thanks mate, i´ll run with lots of Neoprene and no pulley. Any other tips or techinques i should know about??
If you are buying a new Hood frame it will probably come with the stuff that is particular to this bike, the custom tuned avalanche shock, hadley 160mm wide rear hub with 15mm aluminium axle, and a set of profiles with bottom bracket. If you are going to use it as a jumping / hucking bike consider the dual 24" wheels with 3.0s. If you are going to run 26" wheels, syncros has some really nice new 2.7s tires out with some meaty tread. If you want the only bars that match the frame's strength contact chris at thick bikes he will custom make you the best 4130 dh bars in the world.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
sh*t scared said:
er, yeah, chrome is being done 2nd of Jan on my steed. so I guess that´ll be 2 chromo´s then!
D'OH!
:mumble:

well that helps narrow down my choices!

definately post up some pix when that's done.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OMG, climbing anything on a 57lb DH bike with 24" wheels and 3" tires....pulley or no pulley it hurts just to think about it.

But anyway looks sweet in that monster garage kind of way.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
sh*t scared said:
yeah, will do mate. Welcome to the chrome club!!

What spec are you building yours to?

Scot
well i just got my new Avy shock yesterday..
up front will be the Avy MTN-8
wheels will be black Hadleys with Atomlab 36h DHR hoops... probably Nokian 24x3"....unless i go with some Arrows
instead of the Profiles and MRP i'll probably go with Deity cranks and E13 SRS guide. Haven't spec'd the brakes yet, but i'm liking that huge cromo handlebar!
what the hell, with that huge frame and a 14 pound fork, what's a little more weight.

as for color, I think i'm leaning towards either battleship grey with orange lettering or Army green with the same ... subject to change violently and without notice. :thumb:

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
I reckon the only brakes to use are the new HOPE 6Ti´s. Hope now sell different coloured piston caps, so you can go for the complete co-ordinated, or stealth look, and they work superb too. I like the sound of the cranks, very flash, and as for colours, If mine wasn´t going to be chromed, i´d try to get an urban camo thing on there!!

Keep us posted!!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Bullitboyz said:
well i just got my new Avy shock yesterday..
up front will be the Avy MTN-8
wheels will be black Hadleys with Atomlab 36h DHR hoops... probably Nokian 24x3"....unless i go with some Arrows
instead of the Profiles and MRP i'll probably go with Deity cranks and E13 SRS guide. Haven't spec'd the brakes yet, but i'm liking that huge cromo handlebar!
what the hell, with that huge frame and a 14 pound fork, what's a little more weight.

as for color, I think i'm leaning towards either battleship grey with orange lettering or Army green with the same ... subject to change violently and without notice. :thumb:

Looking forward for pics on that one !

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
TimeBomb said:
Mussels are SICK !

Hey BB, what about the raw finish ?
Yeh raw is sweet, ive been told that on steel that it tends to go a funny yellow colour after a while, thats what i was gonna get my tmx done in.

mike

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
TimeBomb said:
Mussels are SICK !

Hey BB, what about the raw finish ?

yeah i talked to Jimmy about the raw finish..
1st of all, it's already been done on a Mussel... but also he says when the steel oxidizes under the clear or if it gets a nick, the rust looks like crap..
it probably oxidized a little under the regular PC, but you can't see it!

i dunno, i got a frient who custom paints helmets who can do anything i want as far as color or design, but i think it'd be a lot less durable than powdercoating... so i can't get AS crazy...
i really like the black though...dammit.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
RD3 said:
Thanks. The Mr Dirt Quad Bypass fork is great. This was the last version of the fork that Bob Barnett made. I still think it out performs a lot of new mass produced dh forks. It is super smooth and tracks great. It lacks the dampening technology of newer forks, but makes up for that in many other ways. Stock it uses a 17mm axle with the Mr Dirt 17mm hub, but I have adapters that let me use a regular 20mm hub. It also has an adapter to work with hope brakes, they came with a hayes 22mm mount. It is super high quality (like avy and wb), all machined parts, no plastic junk. It is very easy to take apart and the seals last for ages. Mojo suspension in the uk is making a new version of this fork with ti internals and other improvements.
Back to the forks for a sec. RD, where did you get the 20mm adapter? I'm running this fork aswell and even tho the Mr Dirt hub hasn't broke yet, I want the ability to run a DT FR 20. I think the original Mr Dirt was a 110mm spacing. Did you have to use some sort of shims to center the 100 hub on the axle?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Pau11y said:
Back to the forks for a sec. RD, where did you get the 20mm adapter? I'm running this fork aswell and even tho the Mr Dirt hub hasn't broke yet, I want the ability to run a DT FR 20. I think the original Mr Dirt was a 110mm spacing. Did you have to use some sort of shims to center the 100 hub on the axle?
Any machine shop should be able to make them for you, they slide into each side of the 20mm hub allowing the 17mm axle to fit.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
how do the hood mussel bikes ride and how come the hoodbikes.com website is down.will it ever be back up :nuts:
also i cant beleive thee is only 15 in the world,acually how long have they been made for anyway
cheers

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
so it rides good with the pivot like that or does the shock help with bob.as it looks like it would bob up and down a lot or does the design stop it ding that

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I got to ride my friends hood w/ an 888 (stock crowns) for a few runs at Jimminy Peak out in western mass. Although the shocks weren't setup right at all (really soft and incredibly slow rebound...i dunno what he's smoking...), it actually rode really well. Took a while to get used to, but once you've been on it for a couple minutes you can really rip. The thing plowed through everything, rather than being flickable (but that might just be me, he dirtjumps like a son of a....), and I felt it was kind of sluggish, but again that might be the suspension setup and me not being used to the bike. I took it off a moderate 8' drop, and the thing gobbled it up like it was no-body's business. Bottom line, i thought it was a great bike, somewhat heavy and more of a plow through bike, but very solid. If you ride a lot of rock gardens, you pretty much let go of the brakes and smile, the bike takes care of everything for you.

-Adam

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
overall the opinion is very good on it mate why do you say the shocks havent been set up when there is only one shock :rolleyes: got any pics of your mates
cheers

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
konastab01 said:
overall the opinion is very good on it mate why do you say the shocks havent been set up when there is only one shock :rolleyes: got any pics of your mates
cheers
By shocks I meant the 888 and the avalanche in the rear.

I'm not one of those commie canadian guys that say 'forks'... :nuts:

-Adam

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
zedro said:
amazingly it rides 10lbs lighter than it really is....
Yep, just like Screams do. It's called the "I bought this pig so now I'll refuse to admit any shortcomings" effect.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
mate im sure it weights about 55lbs bike only which isnt that bad but it might be a bit more

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
has anyone got hood cycles number it would be greatly appricated if some one did
cheers