Hood Mussel...

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
downhilryder said:
my friend Kevin rides a red hood with a 888 on the front
it is so ill
yeah I was all set to do a red one till Jimmy told me about Kevin's bike.
argh.

going to Jimmy's shop tomorrow to drop off the Avalanche shock and check on production of my #15 frame! (i'll see if i can snap some spy photos of the frame being built)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Jimmy at Hood was the toolmaker at Spooky. He and FTW co-desgined the Mussel. The first run of Mussels was actual built at FTW's shop (by Jimmy) as well. Jimmy has his own shop now.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
well that clears that up. Frank was telling me he was going to build a steel X. I never saw it but when the Hood deal came out I just knew that it had to be connected somehow back to Spooky.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
zedro said:
man, first people are stealing other peoples designs, now they're stooping to stealing their own designs....where will it end!

fraser will get rid of his orange and will force them to build him a bike based on your design ;)

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Sh*t scared who has being replying to this thread has just got his, number 15 i think, in chilli yellow. Its sick, theres pics on pink bike of it but its not my place to post em, he might have some grand unveiling planned :evil: Im sure hell appear with it at some point

mike

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
went to visit the birthplace of Hood Bikes to see production of my Mussel..

here's a shot of the 6 pound swingarm!

i can't friggin WAIT for my bike!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bullitboyz said:

Holy Geezus that's massive - how much will the complete frame weigh?

Got a 20mm front wheel?
:D oh yeah and I'm serious.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Bullitboyz said:
Very nice. Were you able to get any more pics of your frame or other hoods?

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
RD3 said:
Very nice. Were you able to get any more pics of your frame or other hoods?
indeed.

that last photo shows Jimmy holding his prized pighead scepter...made from some old BMX chainstays ... highlights include a Nuke Proof carbon hub!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
holy crap!

that's my old pitboss behind the mussel. the cream/green one. i figured that was in some landfill by now. the thing broke in like '00 or so.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Are they sharing space with an auto service shop?
Nice lift in that one pic there. And I don't think those Interstate's are for any bikes. lol

Cool pics! long live the small fabricators!!!

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Wow, it looks nice in yellow. When you get the seismic hub are you going 24" in the front also?

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
I´m not entirely sure just jet, i like the handling as it is, and like the fact that i could put on of those Surly Large Marge rims on the front (65mm rim!). Hoever, If i do go 24", it´ll be on a doublewide so the tyre fits properly. Did you change yours to 24" in the end?

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
DAMN that looks hot in yellow!!! I tried snagging that frame but you scooped it up a couple days before me. :eviltongu

try the 24" up front though unless you're downhilling...
the 26" with the stock-crowned 888 seems to 'chopper' it out a bit. it'll steer quicker and climb better with the smaller front.

HOOD BIKES RULE!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Bullitboyz said:
DAMN that looks hot in yellow!!! I tried snagging that frame but you scooped it up a couple days before me. :eviltongu

try the 24" up front though unless you're downhilling...
the 26" with the stock-crowned 888 seems to 'chopper' it out a bit. it'll steer quicker and climb better with the smaller front.

HOOD BIKES RULE!

Climb better ??? Are you kidding ??? Monster, seismic, steel frame, dw rims, huge tires......is that a climber ?

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
DHS said:
what brake lines are you running? Sh*t
why are they red?
nice bike btw
They are Red Goodridge Braided hoses, with standard Hope connectors. work superbly, and cost jack sh*t!

Oh, and after trying with my mates Avy MTN´s I far prefered the stiffness and rigidty of the monsters :confused:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, - I have both ridden the Monster and now have a MTN......and I would never go back to the Monster....I find the MTN a much better fork in any way. Comp/rebound/plushness/smal bump plushness/shorter/ and I (but it might depend on how big you are) find it as stiff as the Monster