• I get regular hook-ups/discounts/deals

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • I typically pay full retail

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Saw the thread on "how much does your bike cost" and it got me wondering how many people actually pay full retail for stuff. So, if you get any sort of deal on a regular basis (pro deal/bro deal, EP, sponsorship, friends in the biz, etc...) click hook-ups. Otherwise, if you consistantly pay full retail, click retail.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Full retail is kinda vague, though, seeing as how there are so many e-tailers that sell products super-cheap (almost as cheap as QBP and BTI).

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I think that full retail in this post should mean, LBS or Online place, a hook up is when you get stuff free, EP, wholesale, or at Sponsorship discount

I for one can get all my parts/gear/clothes free, EP, wholesale, or at Sponsorship discount :D Its the only way to go

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I work for a living, and I have to pay if I want to play.

I don't mind, somebody has to pay full retail so that somebody else can get the deal, in this case I'm the one that pays full retail, whereas if you wanted a high end plumbing inspection system you'd pay full retail and I'd get a considerable discount.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I pay an online shop full retail. That just happens to be about 25 to 50% off of any price I can get in stores.

I sometimes get hookups if offered...but never ask as that is rude (unless it is an ongoing agreement).

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Hopefully I'll be getting hookups soon! Until now I've been saving lunch money for retail(I'm only 15.:rolleyes: ) but, last night actually I got the confirmation from Soul Cycles that I'll be sponsored by them. Not fullride or anything, but deep discounts on a lot of stuff.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Kornphlake
I work for a living, and I have to pay if I want to play.

I don't mind, somebody has to pay full retail so that somebody else can get the deal, in this case I'm the one that pays full retail, whereas if you wanted a high end plumbing inspection system you'd pay full retail and I'd get a considerable discount.
Same here, except I design spinal implants - so I'm all set if I crush myself on the DH trails!!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Once you have a hook-up, you can never go back to full retail. When I'm in a jam and have to go to my LBS and pay full price, I'm always in sticker shock. I don't think I could afford to ride if I had to pay full price for everything. That said, I could see myself paying full price on that new Evil soverign.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I get some discounts from my LBS, but nothing like a sponsorship or EP hookup. I'd still shop there if they didn't because of the customer service.

Kornphlake's rationale is dead on the money.

I do have a hook up for some softgoods though, and that is nice.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Slugman
Same here, except I design spinal implants - so I'm all set if I crush myself on the DH trails!!!
I'll be your plumbing equipment hook up guy if you'll be my spinal implant hook up guy :thumb:

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
I cant remember the last time I paid full price on anything, even before I started weekends at my local shop I got good deals from being on the team. What this does rub in is that I have been part time at my LBS for 6 years this summer....and still only 22! This summer I might have to get a real job and start paying full prices:(

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I worked at a bike shop for 5 years all through highschool and part of college, now i have a GOOD job/student, but the shop i worked at still lets me buy everything at cost and i can still EP stuff....so im pretty happy about that

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
How about
USED

Unless it is a replacement for a part I broke, or an upgrade, I almost always buy bieks that are used for one season.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Interesting... I'd say that ridemonkey is a fairly accurate representation of serious riders as a whole. So by the results of the poll... a solid majority of serious riders (or at least downhillers) don't pay retail prices.

If this is true, maybe companies/shops should stop offering EP and all these other deals and just sell stuff at better prices?

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I dont have specific hookups, but I do try to get the best deal on anything I buy. This isnt even focused on bikes. I try to get a good value in anything I buy. That being said, some stuff you just pay retail for (lube, small items, etc).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Where's the option for a little of both?

Sometimes I pay full retail, sometimes I get a hook-up. I don't go looking for a hook-up, but if it presents itself I'll take it.

I really don't pay full retail that often because I go looking for sales. I'm not picky. :p

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
did pay full retail.... on used stuff...

but now that im on a team, ill still be paying the same prices, just for new stuff :D

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Shmoe
EP/Cost.

If I didn't work at a shop, id buy online. I want my money to go as far as possible.
At least your honest, looking at the poll results I can only really come to the conclusion that almost all of the online stores are killing the industry shop at your lbs people don't actually pay lbs prices themselves. Got to wonder how many of them would be shoping online if they didn't get a hookup at their shop.

I'm a retail person myself, mostly online retail unless I need something really quick.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't get ep or insider deals. But I am a frequent buyer and tend to get better than retail prices on most everything. The trade off is I pay a little more than I would if I got the same thing online, but I support my local shop that I love and I get service that is the best in the industry for it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by oly
I have a folder full of EP forms.... Too bad i dont have a wallet full of $$.
Well, I have a wallet full of $$. Have your people call my people: we'll do lunch.

;)

Originally posted by jimmydean
I don't get ep or insider deals. But I am a frequent buyer and tend to get better than retail prices on most everything. The trade off is I pay a little more than I would if I got the same thing online, but I support my local shop that I love and I get service that is the best in the industry for it.
It's amazing how much people don't understand that you CAN get better prices at your LBS, if you just support them. They look at the retail sticker, go into shock, and walk out rather than asking the guy there if he can do better on the price.

I just got a pair of Michelin Comp24 2.2's for $100 from the LBS - that's $20 under what he had them on the shelf for, about 17% off. Okay, so I probably could have done better somewhere online, but next time I need a BB spacer and he hands me one and says "no charge", or he lets me use one of the expensive tools (headset press, for instance)... It's worth it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by binary visions

I just got a pair of Michelin Comp24 2.2's for $100 from the LBS - that's $20 under what he had them on the shelf for, about 17% off. Okay, so I probably could have done better somewhere online, but next time I need a BB spacer and he hands me one and says "no charge", or he lets me use one of the expensive tools (headset press, for instance)... It's worth it.
That's what I'm talking about! Shop tools, experience, knowlege, and cool folks. I get none of that through a shop online.

I have to slip them dough sometimes for stuff because they don't let me pay for it.

Hell, I bought Thom (who built me one of the sweetest wheelsets free of labor costs) a $50 gift card to his favorite fish house for x-mas last year.

R

Rabie

Originally posted by binary visions

I would rather pay $3 for a bb spacer than $100 for tires.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Rabie
I would rather pay $3 for a bb spacer than $100 for tires.
:rolleyes: I hope that's a joke but it doesn't sound like it is.

The price wasn't unreasonable. I believe Jenson had them listed for ~$80 apiece, plus ~$10 for shipping, means I paid about $10 to support a local business, get free parts and service, and maintain a good relationship.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by D_D
At least your honest, looking at the poll results I can only really come to the conclusion that almost all of the online stores are killing the industry shop at your lbs people don't actually pay lbs prices themselves. Got to wonder how many of them would be shoping online if they didn't get a hookup at their shop.

I'm a retail person myself, mostly online retail unless I need something really quick.
Well I don't know about the states but I don't know how anyone can afford to purchase at a store and still be able to ride a bike. Take some of my recent purchases (keep in mind these are vancouver prices. Add another 15 to 20% in whistler)

1 - Diablous Stem = Retail store - 140 to 160 (onsale at 130), my online store sold it for 90$
2 - Thomson Seatpost - Retail Store - 150ish (depending on which store), my online store for 85$
3 - Hadley Hub - Retail store - 450 to 500ish, online store - 260$ on sale usually 320.

I had to learn how to do most of my labour myself as I couldn't justify paying someone outrageous amounts of money to do some very easy mechanical tasks. I am all for supporting industry and purchasing from small stores but the differences in prices in biking seems signifigant compared to other industries. I feel bad...but I like being able to retire at a reaonsable age and still buy my toys :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Part prices in Canada at the LBS seem to be a lot higher than they are in the US (specifically Socal, but that could be because of competition from Supergo). I'm always shocked at what stuff goes for in Alberta when I visit the family.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Online is where it's at!

I worked in a shop for a while and staff pricing is alright. In the end I don't know if you come out on top seeing as how LBS staff don't get paid that much. Now that I'm out of the shop, this year I've been doing everything over the net. Best way to go...I've saved a crap load of money by doing that. I'll only buy necessities from a shop (cables, lube...etc). I also know that where I used to work I wouldn't be able to get any sort of discount so there's no point...especially with the taxes we pay here.

edit: On the LBS's side, you better not walk in there and ask a bunch of techincal questions and then go online and buy. You also better be able to do your own work at home!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think that if you can find it cheaper go for it. I have no problem when I am in a hurry to grab something at the LBS and pay retail on it. By this point most of the stuff I get is either special order or they give a "bro" discount on it. I never ask though because I think it's rude to ask for a discount of some sort.

I look at things this way. I love the MTB sport. I have some $$$ but I am not rich. IF I can get things I need cheaper via online stores or Ebay then I'm gonna do it, simple as that. It has nothing to do with not wanting to support local business but my pocketbook ain't that fat! Atleast not yet :)

With me it boils more down to price and availiblity. I've been to the LBS and found what I wanted for cheap. I've also been there and thought I was gonna get reemed and IF I bought the product I would have. If I am in no hurry online works fine. DH stuff isn't cheap!

Overall I think this is what most do. In hurry situations the LBS is the only place to go. If you have all week to wait then online is ok. Being in SoCal there's tons of online places + LBS that can hook someone up quickly when needed. I just wish that LBS could make what they need to on parts and that the distributors gave them a better deal. I think it's sad when an Online store can get the products cheaper then a shop can. Kind of defeats the purpose of wholesale. I know some shops even go as far to order direct from places like Supergo etc.... Why not? They can make more on selling you a part then they would buying it from their distributor.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by ChrisRobin

edit: On the LBS's side, you better not walk in there and ask a bunch of techincal questions and then go online and buy. You also better be able to do your own work at home!
not saying anything about you personally chris but ive been razzed at *cough* a particular store for asking for spokes lengths even if it was obvious i was going to buy there.

btw, deals this year, or used for some stuff.

i paid retail last year for a lot of stuff, becuase my shop didn't carry it and because i had no deals. forks are expensive!

~SGD

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by S.G.D
not saying anything about you personally chris but ive been razzed at *cough* a particular store for asking for spokes lengths even if it was obvious i was going to buy there.
It wasn't me because I wouldn't of cared about something like that.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Silver
Part prices in Canada at the LBS seem to be a lot higher than they are in the US (specifically Socal, but that could be because of competition from Supergo). I'm always shocked at what stuff goes for in Alberta when I visit the family.
We get completely raped up here on some stuff...

A shop once quoted me $700 for a rear Chris King Disc hub :eek: ...That's without the 6-bolt disc adapter too!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Burnwood
We get completely raped up here on some stuff...

A shop once quoted me $700 for a rear Chris King Disc hub :eek: ...That's without the 6-bolt disc adapter too!
Keep in mind what province you live in. There's a BC-based mailorder shop (I forget the name) and a lot of their stuff is more expensive than my closest LBS which is known to be expensive itself.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Keep in mind what province you live in. There's a BC-based mailorder shop (I forget the name) and a lot of their stuff is more expensive than my closest LBS which is known to be expensive itself.
Theres only a few canadian online shops...bikeroom,johnhenrybike,unbeatablebikes and the most expensive bikecanada.com Wonder which one it is :)

personally 95% of all purchases are to bikeroom. David rocks.