• I typically pay full retail

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Originally posted by Silver
Part prices in Canada at the LBS seem to be a lot higher than they are in the US (specifically Socal, but that could be because of competition from Supergo). I'm always shocked at what stuff goes for in Alberta when I visit the family.
Yeah, thats where I live. If you shop at local bike shops, you almost need to know some of the guys working there (which is pretty common here I would say).

About the king hub being $700, that is actually slightly under canadian retail.. we are getting ripped off on king parts.

One thing is, there is alot of mtbers out there that seriously couldn't shop online. Its amazing how many people couldn't tell you their seatpost size or bb shell legnth, these people will almost always shop at their lbs.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i hate threads like these. they remind how much money i've spent paying full retail...paying over $1.25/spoke at a shop i've been going to frequently for four years, being told a King cog would put me back $50, being denied a job, then spending a considerable amount of time fixing the poor build i got on my last bike from there.

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
I made up and maintain a website for my LBS, now I get everything I need for free :) a nice CK rear hub for my trials bike this season so far

... on the other hand, I suppose I still do pay for it, but with easy work

RaID

Turbo Monkey
if you support your LBS
ive found that they naturally hook
you with good deals just for being
a regular customer

so you never pay whats on the price tag
of the various items.

Like if something heaps cheaper online
ill get it, and stuff from overseas that i cant get locally ill get online

but like ppl have said, you support your LBS they'll support you if you need specific tools or little stuff that online just cant do.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
here in Tx, no bike shop carries DH stuff and only a few carry freeride/trailbike stuff. i cant and dont blame them at all. these LBS guys are soo cool and I'd love to support them but they dont carry the stuff I use. If the LBS has to special order something that is niche', I think it should be at "online" prices. I dont think that a retailer who has to order a niche part is worthy of collecting a 50% markup for making a phone call. Sell it cheaper if they are not able or willing to keep it in stock. That also helps gurantee that they will install/service that part.

I also wish my LBS would offer some sort of annual "club" membership. Buy stuff at cost + %. The membership would cost $xx.xx annually. The idea would be to have your customers consolidate all their buying through you for everything cycling, from frames through clothes. That would go ALONG way towards getting your retail customers to stop buying online.

I go to the LBS in a saturday and sunday and see all the non-cyclists buying retail and not thinking twice about it. They are buying $500 trek's and getting matching helmets and water bottles. They are happy as hell! Tuesday and Wednesdays are the days when the avid cyclists come in to round up the necessary good for that weekends race or whatever. I just think that the LBS should treat us different and have programs or specials to give us a hookup.

joel

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
yeah the membership idea is a good one.

I work part-time at my lbs as i'm a student so i get trade price of anything + VAT. However it normally takes longer to order stuff in that way, and i'm pretty impatient when it comes to bike bits, so i often just go and order on-line / mail-order for something a bit more expensive but guaranteed next day.