Quantcast

Hooked back on the 20"

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Has anyone else gone from 20 to 26 and back to 20 and felt that a 20" bike is way more fun in the skatepark? I find I'm smoother and much more comfortable on my new FIT S3 than I am on my SC Jackal. I always here of converts to 26, but I think I am a convert back to the 20" goodness.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree it's better in the park. But I just am NOT comfortable on a BMX, I tried riding one for a month and it just didn't feel right. In the park the 26 feels too bulky, though.

So I'm finishing up my 24" Fall Guy right now. I think I'm gonna like it a lot.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Alot of the comfort lies in frame size and bar choice. I'm sure as hell not comfortable on a 20.5" tt frame...but give me a 21" or even 21.25" frame and some taller bars (7.75"-8" rise) and alot of the discomfort and lower back pain disappear...and i'm almost 6'4. Then again...some just don't feel right riding a smaller bike...and thus the Fall Guy and similar bikes were invented.:cheers: and :picsstfu:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I love my 20, I'm comfy on my bmx and 26" DJ. As far as fun I have more on a daily with my 20. Still have a blast DJ'n and DH'n just further to get there so I don't get to do it as often.

I brought my 26 to the park once and yea it's too bulky for me too. If I had a 24 it'd prolly be better.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I've been reluctantly falling in love with my twenty incher. It's a crappy K2 frame with a 20.5 top tube, but I've tried to get it closer to mtb-ishness with eight inch bars. If I ever get a new frame (no doubt!) I'll be getting at least a 21 inch top tube.

It's great in the park and on the street. If anything breaks, it's cheaper to replace. However, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable DJing with it.

I rode some DH today on my big bike. Riding the bmx has helped me get a little bit smoother, and has definently helped me get closer to tabling my DH rig. I also feel a lot more comfortable hopping and jumping. Then again, that might be due to the fact that since I've gotten "into" bmx, I've been riding every other day. It's just so much more accessable.

Ohh and not to mention, a few of the local fastass DHers in my area have switched over to BMX. I've noticed a few cats end up getting into it, and then just stay in the scene because it's so much cheaper and, like I said, accessable.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Has anyone else gone from 20 to 26 and back to 20 and felt that a 20" bike is way more fun in the skatepark? I find I'm smoother and much more comfortable on my new FIT S3 than I am on my SC Jackal. I always here of converts to 26, but I think I am a convert back to the 20" goodness.
YES! I've been riding nothing but my 20" lately, and it's awesome fun. Plus I've been dialing in some tricks that I could not pull on the bigger bike.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
i ride 20's in the park and 26's on jumps. i find 20's and rigid is way more comfortable and predictable in the park. that said i can ride my 26 in the park too, it's just more difficult because it's so much longer and taller.