Quantcast

Hooray! We bought AIG!!!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, I wonder if the gummint is gonna relinquish ownership once the debt is repaid? A two year revolving credit facility of $85B at ~12% (Libor +8.5%) is brutal. That is $10,200,000,000 of interest alone in a year (using a simple calc, i know principal payments will tweak that number... now look who is oversimplifying).

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
One day I sat my cat on my keyboard and tickled it for 30 seconds.
What he typed made more sense than this.
now now. let's not make fun of people who have serious questions.

Answer: the American taxpayer is going to pay for this mess. many people will lose their homes that they couldn't afford in the first place. the executives of the banks will all remain rich and very few, if any of them, will go to jail.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Answer: the American taxpayer is going to pay for this mess. many people will lose their homes that they couldn't afford in the first place. the executives of the banks will all remain rich and very few, if any of them, will go to jail.
I fail to see how this is the calamity that some are making it out to be. IME people who couldn't afford their houses were DESTINED to lose them, no?

KOReric

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
banks were giving loans with sub prime mortgage so they could get paid. some loans were to illegal aliens knowing they couldnt afford them but get paid anyway.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
exactly..and those stupid enough to go w/ a variable rate w/ no money in their pockets got the inevitable.
but when are the public beatings of the executives, government "regulators" and other people who profited from this while knowing that there was going to be an ugly train wreck at the back end?

i'd actually bend my "i'll never do pay-per-view" rule to watch several hours of that on television.