Quantcast

hope 6 pot

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
just wondering is hope with 6 pistones worth of money they costs ??

is big difrence from 4 and 6 pistones ???

now i am riding on shimano xt 4 pistones brakes and they are great...

not that i am gonna buy them but just for info. (maybe one day...)

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
IMO, all the new Hopes, Mono series, fade very easy. Power disappear/decrease when get wet. Get something else is my suggestion. I'm selling all my Hopes before next season.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Sverre said:
IMO, all the new Hopes, Mono series, fade very easy. Power disappear/decrease when get wet. Get something else is my suggestion. I'm selling all my Hopes before next season.
i believe that the best hope brake is the old DH04 / E4... with the 'pro' lever... i m not much of a fan of the monos... sold mine (thanks zah) and now i ride juicys... but the my original hopes (on a DOC) will never be sold... they are that good...

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Sverre said:
really? i have done rides in torrential downpours, with no fading, squealing, loss of power/modulation whatsoever.

i say get the M4's. cheaper, lighter than M6's, but still good power, modulation. no need to go overkill.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
mcA896 said:
really? i have done rides in torrential downpours, with no fading, squealing, loss of power/modulation whatsoever.

i rode mine at morzine and experienced a bit of fade at the end of long runs... serious altitude / MAD speed / long runs etc...

then again morzine / les gets isn t ya everyday riding... and if it is, where do i sign up for it ?? :)

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i really like mine up front and having the m4 in the rear i really like them. i would check out the magura gustav cause i hear they are amazing and right in there with the hopes. avids suck.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sverre said:
If the powers disapears when they get wet, you have the wrong pads.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Brian HCM#1 said:
I too actualy still prefer the older Pro levers
agreed... def'n much nicer feel than the 'mono' lever...

actually i need some spares for my DH04 / E4... got any diaphram seals for the top cap ??? pro lever ??

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2510

i d buy this but i don t fancy spending 15 US + shipping when all i need is the rubber diaphram... can ya help me out ??

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
Sverre said:

i have the stock pads and havent had a problem in the wet, even on the really tech downhill with lots of hard braking. im planning on getting some ebc pads when i do replace them and their suposed to be even better
(on a side note what pas should i get for my mono 6, do the reds wear super fast?)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
agreed... def'n much nicer feel than the 'mono' lever...

actually i need some spares for my DH04 / E4... got any diaphram seals for the top cap ??? pro lever ??

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2510

i d buy this but i don t fancy spending 15 US + shipping when all i need is the rubber diaphram... can ya help me out ??
I've got a seal kit here you can have but it's for the E4. Will it work on yours? I don't reckon you can buy that diaphragm seperately, I think you've gotta get the whole kit. I called Hope direct in Pommy landd and they sent one to me. Was 5 quid I think.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
D_D said:
You used to be able to buy the rubber diaphrams seperate. The top cap twists onto the rubber when tightening which often wore the rubber out so most hope shops would always keep a few. Shouldn't cost more than £3 if you can find some.

This might be them but it's hard to tell from the description.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Hope&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360007079&UberCat=0
Looks like it's the right one. :thumb:

Jun 16, 2004
Vancouver BC
julian_dh said:
i really like mine up front and having the m4 in the rear i really like them. i would check out the magura gustav cause i hear they are amazing and right in there with the hopes. avids suck.
I'm totally biased here since we have Magura as a vendor, but I have to agree:

the Gustavs are simply ridiculously powerful and have excellent modulation. Magura also has some of the best customer support in the industry. If you're looking for lots of power and still want great modulation, you simply can't beat the Gustav.

I would seriously check them out if you're looking for a very powerful disc brake.

Cheers,

Noel Buckley

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Brian HCM#1 said:
I too actualy still prefer the older Pro levers, however the design of the mini is better as far as durability goes in a crash.
I was enjoying the scenery a few weeks ago when I T-boned a large tree with my handle bar. I was amazed that the mini-lever wasn't damaged, I couldn't find any other points of impact, but it seemed that some part of the lever is what hit the tree, and it did just fine.

I've done some huge descents over the last couple weeks with my M4s, in terms of drop-vs-length. Steep enough that you have to be on both brakes for extended periods of time, because if you get going any faster you'll break traction and fly off the hill. The M4s are doing great on these things, and I'm not noticing any appreciable fade. 6" Avids and Hayes faded pretty bad on these descents, the avids being the worst. 8" avids didn't fade as much, but they sure went through pads fast and there was still some fade. I run a 180 mono M4 in the front, and 160 mono M4 in the rear, and I'm pretty happy with this combo. Good power and modulation for my 6/6 FR bike.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
yea its true magura has amazing customer service, my friend went through 3 pair of julie or some brakes and they would leak after every ride (xc) right from the lever. so he asked for his money back and they gave it and he bought a deore hydro instead.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Downhiller said:
so gustav is more powerful than hope m6 ?

gustav vs. xt 4 pistones who will win ?
Gustav is crazy powerfull. Feels like they could stop a train. Magura also has modulation usually dialed real good for their brakes. The thing I couldn't get over was their reliability, they were just shoddy in a lot of ways. They are also extremely heavy (the hope M6 is probably not very light thogh). The Gustavs did have a nice "floating" caliper design at one time, that was a pretty cool feature.

I've owned other magura brakes, and my experiences with the gustavs were pretty much mirrored with other magura brakesets that I used and owned. Not horrible, extremely good power and modulation. I wouldn't ever buy them though because of the good experiences I've had with hope. I had the DH4s back in '99 or whenever they came out, and they never did anything wierd on me and just remained great over a long period of time. Now I have the M4s and I am definitely happy with the performance. For me, the M4s have been a brake that I never have to think about, that just always "works". That's what I liked about my DH4s and I'm glad that the M4s are behaving the same.

There's always a lot of variables out there (proper bleeding, trying to take shortcuts to bleeidng, disc mount facing and alignment, etc), so take bad and good experiences with a grain of salt.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Brian HCM#1 said:
If the powers disapears when they get wet, you have the wrong pads.
I've tried many diffrent pads, but no luck.
The original Hope pads, (sintred I belive), is ok for normal riding, but fades when get hot. I mean HOT, not warm, but plastma-hot. They squeal and squeak like crazy in wet conditions, and fricton disappears too. Also tried the Shimano XT 755 pads, sintred, and I think this is the exact same pad as the Hope original. Also tried som Fibrax, not good either. The best I've tried on my Mono M4's are EBC red's they are SO much better than all the other I've tried, it's like getting another brake. But the EBC's wear out fast, and are not much better than the others when getting wet.
I'm tierd of trying pads, craching in races, and not be able to puch to the max because of my crappy brakes. So, I'm sorry Hope, I gotta let you go.

Sverre

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sverre said:
I've tried many diffrent pads, but no luck.
The original Hope pads, (sintred I belive), is ok for normal riding, but fades when get hot. I mean HOT, not warm, but plastma-hot. They squeal and squeak like crazy in wet conditions, and fricton disappears too. Also tried the Shimano XT 755 pads, sintred, and I think this is the exact same pad as the Hope original. Also tried som Fibrax, not good either. The best I've tried on my Mono M4's are EBC red's they are SO much better than all the other I've tried, it's like getting another brake. But the EBC's wear out fast, and are not much better than the others when getting wet.
I'm tierd of trying pads, craching in races, and not be able to puch to the max because of my crappy brakes. So, I'm sorry Hope, I gotta let you go.

Sverre
The sinthered Hope pads are aweful for everyday riding. I found the EBC greens and reds do work the best.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Downhiller said:
so gustav is more powerful than hope m6 ?

gustav vs. xt 4 pistones who will win ?

The Gustav beats the 4 piston XT's easily. My brother just made that switch. I've been thinking about relacing my Saint's with Gustavs but I'm not in any rush. I'll probably wait to compare how his feel at Whistler next year.

As far as durability/quality goes, I know a lot of Knolly riders that bought Gutavs and have had no problems so far after nearly a year.