Quantcast

hope bulb DH

dyno

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Anyone used a Hope Bulb DH for trials? I read that it has 36 engagement points, and comes with a titanium freewheel housing. That doesn't seem bad at all to me. Plus it's half the price of what a Chris King would cost me. This is for a beginner trials bike (my first full on trials bike). Any opinions? I can't afford a Chris King right now (there's no way around it), so I need some kind of rear hub.

-dyno

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
I dont know much about the hope bulb DH, but I rocked a normal hope for a couple of months. It performed just fine (never skipped), but the al freehub was torn to pieces in no time at all. It then blew up on me (IE no engagement points at all) about a month ago. It performed well when it worked, but I was sorry that I didnt just shell out the money and go for the king in the first place. I have a king now and love it. The freehub body seems to be staying together just fine and it has only skipped once (scary as phuck). If you really cant go with a king right now I would opt for a cheap shimano hub (lx or deore) and then save up for a king.

I know what you mean about the kings though, they cost lots of $$$.

J

JRB

I don't ride trials, but have trashed 2 xtr freehubs. I have some hope XCs and they are great. No wear on the engagement teeth or the freehub. You can get them and upgrade the freehub body for like $80 if needed. XCs can be had on the cheap. I think the difference in them and the bulb is the freehub being Ti. I never had one even consider skipping and the maintenance is stupid easy. They are pretty detailed at hopetech.com.

dyno

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Would the Titanium cassette hold up better?

In terms of the learning curve for trials, would it better to spend the little extra money on a Hope now (over a shimano) for the purpose of having more engagement points, knowing that it will likely break down the line? Will extra points make it worth while for learning?

Thanks for the reviews.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
dyno said:
Would the Titanium cassette hold up better?

In terms of the learning curve for trials, would it better to spend the little extra money on a Hope now (over a shimano) for the purpose of having more engagement points, knowing that it will likely break down the line? Will extra points make it worth while for learning?

Thanks for the reviews.

Just to clarify since I didnt above, I had the hope xc hub on my trials bike only. I am a mid to upper sport level rider who is decently smooth.

To be honest Im not sure how the titanium freehub would hold up as compared to an al one. You would probably be able to find someone over on Observedtrials.net that has tried it. You should know, though, that most people on OTN will likely give you the same answer as me - get a king.

I dont think that engagement points matter very much in learning trials. It would be better to put more money towards better brakes or tires instead. Once you are sure you want to continue with trials (and can spend the money) switch to a king and never look back. In the mean time just be aware that you may have to replace the freewheel in a few months.

dyno

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
For the information of the forum, I've decided to go with a hadley. It's going to cost me about $100 and I've only read about 1 or 2 stories of them failing (due to regular use, not crashing). I'm usually not very hard on stuff (I think the most I've really broken is a chain and few derailleurs). We'll see. I'll report back with a review of the hub sometime. I'm going with the "trials" version.

Thanks again for the help.
-dyno