Quantcast

hope facing?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i was reading up on MTBR that unless you face the tabs on hopes before installing them, they have sucky performance. But, i just shimmed/bolted mine up right out of the box, and they work fine?!? :think:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
mcA896 said:
i was reading up on MTBR that unless you face the tabs on hopes before installing them, they have sucky performance.
Shows what a bunch of dimwits there can be over there, why would someone face the brake? :nuts:

The only time I face the disc mount tabs is if there is a lot of squealing from the brakes. I have found it can help to quiet the brakes.

J

JRB

mcA896 said:
yeah, i know. but when 10+ people have posted that they sucked without facing, i should believe what i read
Don't believe much of what you read on MTBR.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
using a cutter to make sure your disc mounts are flat and exactly parrallel to your axle.

we had a hope facing tool in my shop, never had to use it on anyones brakes. only time it ever came out the box was for people who specifically asked for their brake mounts to be faced, doubt it made much difference to be honest.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
360 said:
using a cutter to make sure your disc mounts are flat and exactly parrallel to your axle.

we had a hope facing tool in my shop, never had to use it on anyones brakes. only time it ever came out the box was for people who specifically asked for their brake mounts to be faced, doubt it made much difference to be honest.
Exactly, that's the main reason to face is allowing the caliper to sit straight on the rotor. Sometimes the powder coater can get a little too much on the tabs not allowing them to line up properly.

We had some Trek-FX bikes(Road frame/straight bar/disks), come in w/the disk mounts so crooked, you could see it before even puting the wheel in!!! The boss was ready to go through the replacement sesscion, when I convinced him to get me a HOPE facing tool!!! I faced the mounts(took off a good 2mm), but in the end, they worked great!!! The HOPE facer is a great tool(though a bit spendy, I was lucky to get whole-sale)!!!

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Urban FR'er 666 said:
We had some Trek-FX bikes(Road frame/straight bar/disks), come in w/the disk mounts so crooked, you could see it before even puting the wheel in!!! The boss was ready to go through the replacement sesscion, when I convinced him to get me a HOPE facing tool!!! I faced the mounts(took off a good 2mm), but in the end, they worked great!!! The HOPE facer is a great tool(though a bit spendy, I was lucky to get whole-sale)!!!
Same boat as you. We are also a Trek dealer and find ourselves having to face the majority of their MTBs' disc tabs. We have the Hope tool too. Very nice tool.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have that tool. i use to use it a lot at the lbs i worked at. never seem to use it with any of the bikes i own though...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mcA896 said:
i was reading up on MTBR that unless you face the tabs on hopes before installing them, they have sucky performance. But, i just shimmed/bolted mine up right out of the box, and they work fine?!? :think:
You've probably gathered this, but just in case you haven't, the facing is done on your frame, not on the brake calipers. It's a matter of the frame's construction, nothing specific to Hope brakes themselves. (Although, it's arguable that the postmount system can deal with poorly-finished IS mounts than the shim system...)

MD