Quantcast

Hope freehubs - what would you change?

What would you want in an upgraded Pro II freehub?

• More engagements - 24pt is for peasants

• More engagements - 40pt is for peasants too

• Steel reinforcement/inserts to prevent cassette-induced spline damage

• Better seal between freehub and hub body - plastic is for plebs

• Just some stickers will be fine thanks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
children, children, please stop e-fighting. if you don't like what someone has to say, feel free to add them to your ignore list. This is an open forum and we should try our best to be cordial to everybody, unless they ride 29ers and fat bikes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah and I'd just like to add that English isn't everyone's first language (it certainly isn't mine!) nor is it compulsory that it should be, so it's nice to be understanding of that on an international forum.

cordial to everybody
I hate cordial and now you, welcome to my ignore list.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Sticker POI would be 100% - ASSuming the entire item has adhesive.

...and now some jagoff is going to point out at at some level of magnification, it will show that the sticker surface is not totally flat, and that the adhesive only contacts at the high points...so we are back to what is the POI of a sticker...:nerd:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I like the idea- but I'll throw another potentially nonsensical idea out there.

Judging by peoples problems with axles, gripes about hub shells, and of course free hubs... Why not make the whole thing? I know it wouldn't be easy, but if you have the capability to make a decent freehub, I'm sure you can do the rest?
I'm looking at this thinking it would be hard to for me stomach another $100 on top of a hub that is pretty nice and not cheap (or even putting that into an old hub). But I would be more willing to bite the bullet if I knew that everything was dialed.

You could do cool things like narrow freehub bodies, wide shells, rootbeer anodizing, strong axles, speed holes, etc.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
speed holes, etc.
NOW we are talking! Making it 9.25 grams lighter by using speed holes and to keep the mud out cover the holes with stickers. Weight savings and upgraded appearance....win-win! :triniti:
Road version with fake carbon stickers....the possibilities are endless. :D

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Oh sweet! Wrench flats.

My vice grips keep slipping on mine.
Reminds me of this idiot kid who cut a hub off of a wheel without removing the freewheel and wanted our shop to remove the freewheel so the wheel could be rebuilt. Some vintage POS where he wanted the hub intact. Somehow I managed to remove it without damaging the shell, but those wrench flats sure would have helped! ;)

Last edited: