Quantcast

Hope M2 180mm enough for all-mtn and freeriding?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my rear hayes keeps crapping out, i've rebled it and re-hosed it more than once now, so it's either leaking from the caliper or master cylinder, both of which I don't want to deal with.

I'm thinking of either combos;

Hope 180 M2 up front and 180 M2 in the rear;

Hope 180 M4 up front and 180 M2 in the rear.

Mostly be used for agressive XC/All mtn, but ocassionally freeriding and I do like them descents, so the real question is will the M2s hold up without too many fade/heat issues? Or should I go for the heavier and more powerfull/fade resistant M4 up front? Bike is a turner 6-pack built up for all-mtn type stuff.

Asking this question here because I know there's a few obsessive hope fanatics....

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The weight difference isn't all that much - if you're hooked on Hopes I'd just go for the M4s so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have an mono mini on the rear of my dh9, pumps up a bit on longer steep tight sections. the m4 won't fit, not sure about the m6.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
joelsman said:
I have an mono mini on the rear of my dh9, pumps up a bit on longer steep tight sections. the m4 won't fit, not sure about the m6.
For some reason I thought I could get an M2 with a 180mm rotor for the rear. I re-checked QBP's website and it turns out I was wrong. I'm not going to do a 160mm M2 in the rear, so I'll go with the 160 M4 instead.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Brian HCM#1 said:
Very purdy, you going to make it to N* this summer?
No. I'm likely shipping out to florida in a few weeks to a month or so for navy officer canidate school to become a naval flight officer. So not really. Riding here in arizona is pretty good. Duststar would be nice to visit, but I guess the next big priority is whistler, and I could end up stationed in the seattle area.

I'm just sporting a "pack" right now, enough for northstar when I get a better fork put on, but I don't think I'll be doing the full on DH-bike thing for a while.