Quantcast

Hope mini for DH

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I am going to be building up a V10 and want to build it up as light as possable, I am about 130 and was wondering if I would be good running some minis

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i use minis ( the old type) in my dh bike, the power is good if you use 8in discs and different pads will help too. but then agian the m4s are only about 100 grams more then the mono minis and lighter then the old type minis. how much you weight also? i would stay away form them unless you are reasonably light.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ghettogt76 said:
Run it, you idiot, you're so light that you could pinch your rim with your fingers and stop just fine.
Ya but when I am riding my bike you are usualy simultaniously riding me so maybe I should go with M4s

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
go with the m4s if you in dought(sp?) not much of a weight penalty... you could prolly save more on something like cranks and going tubeless. dont forget to post pics when you are done!!!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ghettogt76 said:
Well in that case, I'd reccomend a corvette brake system to stop my fatass.
You are pretty fat, maybe you should get that canfield and ride that down the mountian and save riding me for after N* and back at the condo after whistler this summer

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
dhkid said:
go with the m4s if you in dought(sp?) not much of a weight penalty... you could prolly save more on something like cranks and going tubeless. dont forget to post pics when you are done!!!
I am doing anything I can to save weight, middleburns, ti spokes (maybe), carobn bars, light tires (not sure on tubless), I'm even spending the extra money to get the ano to drop more weight (as soon as my lazy boss orders the thing) O and there will be pics

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
TheMontashu said:
You are pretty fat, maybe you should get that canfield and ride that down the mountian and save riding me for after N* and back at the condo after whistler this summer
I like riding you down the mountain more, you have more suspension travel, and more "cushion" so when I am "pushing" really "hard" in a "fast" corner I stay in control.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ghettogt76 said:
I like riding you down the mountain more, you have more suspension travel, and more "cushion" so when I am "pushing" really "hard" in a "fast" corner I stay in control.
No thats how it is when I ride you, I am totaly rigid, its all skin and bone

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
TheMontashu said:
I am doing anything I can to save weight, middleburns, ti spokes (maybe), carobn bars, light tires (not sure on tubless), I'm even spending the extra money to get the ano to drop more weight (as soon as my lazy boss orders the thing) O and there will be pics
****... ti spokes? thats a bit nuts, coz they snap quite easy even for trailriders. i would rather go with dt revolutions with alloy nipples, they are nearly the same weight (around 10 grams more) as ti with brass nipples. just that you would be changing nipples quite often, just that chaging nipples are nothing compared to chaging spokes. look into tubeless, make a huge difference even more if you use single ply tires.
edit:why dont you get a boxxer wc while you are at it... lighter then the fox 40.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
dhkid said:
****... ti spokes? thats a bit nuts, coz they snap quite easy even for trailriders. i would rather go with dt revolutions with alloy nipples, they are nearly the same weight (around 10 grams more) as ti with brass nipples. just that you would be changing nipples quite often, just that chaging nipples are nothing compared to chaging spokes. look into tubeless, make a huge difference even more if you use single ply tires.
I was planing on using ti spokes with alloy nipples but will consider a light double butted spoke. As far as tubeless goes I ride alot of tech stuff and do not want to pinch my tire, If I do go tubeless it is going to be in the fron tire only

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude DT Revolutions suXXors they're uber flexy. If you really want to get some gay love going on you should run Sapim CX-rays cause you can go faster and the blades will penetrate your buddies fat rolls.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
You don't want to use alloy nipples, they with probably snap off from braking. Plus I would just go with a light weight steel spoke. As far as power for brakes, you're probably better off getting M4's but at your size you may be able to get away with Minis. However I'd still go M4.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
My chick team mate (110-120 lbs) ran a set of mono minis. They wroked great almost all year. I (160lbs) did a run after they were broken in at the start of the year. They were great, just enough power, great feel and modulation. I was riding on a small hill, so I don't know how well the would handle heat build up.

How ever she was saying they felt bad at St. Anne. I tryed them in the parking lot, felt like poo. I don't really know why. I would guess the brake lines had air in them, from the feel.

When they worked the worked quite well. If you easy on your brakes (ie not alot of long draging) then I would try them.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Brian HCM#1 said:
You don't want to use alloy nipples, they with probably snap off from braking. Plus I would just go with a light weight steel spoke. As far as power for brakes, you're probably better off getting M4's but at your size you may be able to get away with Minis. However I'd still go M4.
I am thinking of using a light weight steel spoke. As far as alloy nipples go I work with the guy who one norba DH for semi pro and didn't have ny problems using alloy nipples. I am still not sure on using the M4s or Minis maybe a mini inf the rear and an M4 in the front

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Brian HCM#1 said:
I had alum nipples on my trailbike, which saw plenty of rocky dh, and my 190lbs couldn't snap them. I bet he'd be ok so long as they were well built wheels.

And to the OP: what exactly is your fear about running tubeless on the rear? NO pinchflats b/c there is nothing to pinch...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
^^yea i had alloy nipple on a complete bike i bought a long time ago..they lasted about a week and i was not very good or agressive back then

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I got rid of the Mini's (1st generation) on my xc bike because they would completely go away on long descents. The fluid would boil and the levers would just go to the bar. I flushed and bled them with fresh fluid but to no avail. I could revive them by spraying the calipers with water from my camelback. I was thinking of rigging up a pair of emergency syringes, when I gave up and just bought some Hayes Mags.

Mike

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
sbabuser said:
I had alum nipples on my trailbike, which saw plenty of rocky dh, and my 190lbs couldn't snap them. I bet he'd be ok so long as they were well built wheels.

And to the OP: what exactly is your fear about running tubeless on the rear? NO pinchflats b/c there is nothing to pinch...
A trail bike is a bit different from a DH bike since all it see's is rough/rocky terrain. Plus this bike I'm assuming will see mostly Northstar, which is not a very parts friendly place, it's where bikes/parts go to die.:cool:

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
TheMontashu said:
I am going to be building up a V10 and want to build it up as light as possable, I am about 130 and was wondering if I would be good running some minis
Me like Mini!

I would suggest M4 on the back. The oil expands a lot when Mini on the back.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Zutroy said:
My questions is if you obsessed about getting a light weight DH bike, why are you getting a v10?
Exactly. The mini's will be fine with seven inch rotors for you Loren. I ran them on every course exepct Durango and then I needed the eight. You'll be fine with the mini's but the V-10 is a bit much. Go single pivot.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sbabuser said:

There is something to pinch..... its called the tire

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Heath Sherratt said:
Exactly. The mini's will be fine with seven inch rotors for you Loren. I ran them on every course exepct Durango and then I needed the eight. You'll be fine with the mini's but the V-10 is a bit much. Go single pivot.
I don't want a single pivot unless it is a DHR, but I can't get one so they are out. I don't like the new gracias I think its so much travel for a single pivot. Heath you are not going to get me on a Cdale for DH, A V10 may be to much for me right now but I do ride DH atleast once a week, and am going to be in whistler next summer for 10 days as well as north star alot.

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
If you want a light DH bike you need to look at bikes like the Orange 224 or the Cannondale Gracia. If you want to build a light V10, then saving weight on the brakes is not the answer. Hope m4s are the most you need but they may be the least you need. the weight difference is negligible and in many races, out braking the competition is the ticket to victory. A mini in the rear would be ok but not in the front. If you don't race then disregard what I've said, sort of.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
RobsterCrw said:
If you want a light DH bike you need to look at bikes like the Orange 224 or the Cannondale Gracia. If you want to build a light V10, then saving weight on the brakes is not the answer. Hope m4s are the most you need but they may be the least you need. the weight difference is negligible and in many races, out braking the competition is the ticket to victory. A mini in the rear would be ok but not in the front. If you don't race then disregard what I've said, sort of.
I am not going to spend all that money to get a 223, its a single pivot and way over priced. Like I said in my last post I dont want a a gracia, I don't like them. If they are anything like the geminis they are to high for my liking

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
TheMontashu said:
There is something to pinch..... its called the tire
3.5 years of running tubeless, I've never seen or heard of a tire getting snakebite, and that's anything from Maxxis dh treads to WTB superthin sidewall trail tires. Now cuts I've seen, but there's no way a tube would prevent a flat in most cases, anyway.

I ride in the Denver area, I know all about rocks... :cool:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
AlexYuen said:
Me like Mini!
by any chance have you tried the old type mini. if so how does it compare to the new mono mini? and how does the m4 compare to the mini up front? ie power and modulation?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dhkid said:
by any chance have you tried the old type mini. if so how does it compare to the new mono mini? and how does the m4 compare to the mini up front? ie power and modulation?
The power of the older Mini I find is a little better, the M4 is a better option for the front.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
looks like my all-mtn AS-X is becoming a mini-DH bike... 6 inch slider DC up front, mono minis, 200 mm rotor in front 180 in rear. mmm.

As for old minis vs. new minis: There was indeed a bit more power in the old ones. The feel is SO much better on the new ones. It feels to me like the pads in the new ones aren't the best, and I am waiting for some 3rd party pads to come out so I can try them.

Another issue is on a single-pivot you can't be dragging the brakes all the time, because it will make the rear wheel stop tracking. Float over the section and jam the brakes at the end to make the turn.

I wouldn't run mono minis on a proper DH bike, but I think they will be perfect for my mini-DH.