Quantcast

Hope Mini or Avid Mech for DJ / Street

Campy

Chimp
Oct 22, 2004
I currently have a Avid mech on the rear of my bike and want to get a front brake.
Should I go with Avid mechs or Hope Hydro Minis?

I am currently borrowing a hope mini for the front now but have to return it soon.
I noticed it(hope) does have more modulation then the Avid Mech, which is very grippy, not much modulation.

What do you think, go the cheaper way with the mechs.
Am i missing something with thes mechs? or do hydros have more modulation?

G

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd personally run Avids over anything for street. Cheap, they work really well, and nearly indestructable. If you are having trouble with modulation, use regular housing. Compressionless sucks for brakes because it makes them feel notchy without any feedback.

Campy

Chimp
Oct 22, 2004
How do I tell what housing I have, other then getting new

hucker13 said:
I'd personally run Avids over anything for street. Cheap, they work really well, and nearly indestructable. If you are having trouble with modulation, use regular housing. Compressionless sucks for brakes because it makes them feel notchy without any feedback.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
To get better modulation out of your avids adjust the caliper so that the inner pad is farther away from the rotor. If you can see that the rotor is bending slightly as it's pushed toward the stationary pad you'll get about as much modulation as you want, if you position the caliper so that the rotor is right next to the stationary pad you can get that instant lock up feel or anywhere in between. I'd stick with Avids and play around with the red knobs on the caliper until you feel like you're getting the right feel. Also if you've got the levers with the adjustable leverage it seems like you can get more modulation by moving the cable stop closer to the brake pivot.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Hopes are very strong for street. They are also hard to maintain. I suggest the Avid Juicy 5's. My buddy just got them and they are powerfull, but peeerfect for any type of riding.

Campy

Chimp
Oct 22, 2004
THANKS!!! This worked, and I ordered a new front brake and two linear cables. Glow in the dark ones!

Thanks Kornphlake.

Kornphlake said:
To get better modulation out of your avids adjust the caliper so that the inner pad is farther away from the rotor. If you can see that the rotor is bending slightly as it's pushed toward the stationary pad you'll get about as much modulation as you want, if you position the caliper so that the rotor is right next to the stationary pad you can get that instant lock up feel or anywhere in between. I'd stick with Avids and play around with the red knobs on the caliper until you feel like you're getting the right feel. Also if you've got the levers with the adjustable leverage it seems like you can get more modulation by moving the cable stop closer to the brake pivot.

m88tow

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
weman788 said:
Hopes are very strong for street. but peeerfect for any type of riding.

Most people choose not to run hydro's on a street bike because they break to easily during riding, but if they work for you thats great. I prefer Avids, cheap and powerful.