Quantcast

Hope Mono mini question...weird piston action.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
When I pull on the rear brake lever it builds up, then with a "click" it releases. After this threshold point the brake works perfectly.

Is this the same problem someone had with an air bubble behind the bladder?

It seems that one piston moves more easily than the other. This only happens after the pads are worn down to a certain point and the pistons have to move out further to make contact. I pulled the pads out and pushed the pistons all the way in, then I reset everything back up and it worked fine for 1 ride.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
It could just be a sticky seal. Pump the piston out, make sure it's clean and drip on some brake fluid before pushing the piston back in.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
MisterMental said:
you sure it aint the spring between the pads thats making the clicking noise?
It's not so much the sound I'm concerned with. The piston feels like it's sticking or binding up or something weird, then it clicks and feels normal. The feel throws you off when you're riding.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if the sound is coming from the pistons, just clean them out and push them in all the way before you put the pads in again. i had the same problem with my old mini a while ago. it seamed to fix the problem.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
check the pins on which the pads slide, I usually rub a pencil on mine to lube them without contaminating the pads.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Eurotrash said:
check the pins on which the pads slide, I usually rub a pencil on mine to lube them without contaminating the pads.
Good call, that is a possibility. The spring could be locking up with the pads, and then breaking free.