Quantcast

hope mono ti 6 vs magura gustav m

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I currently ride a 2006 rocky mountain rmx and I am looking for a better brake than the one that I currently have (xt 4 pot, to much fade). I weigh 200 pounds and I do long dh descnets .
The two main brakes I am considering.
are the 2005 Hope Mono 6ti and the 06 Magura Gustav m.
I have already visited the site, mtbr.com and I got a lot of excellent information from it, however, I just want to make sure
that I am making the correct decision since this is a major purchase.
I know that the Hope 6ti is lighter than the Gustav and that the Hope has a floating rotor which will help offset the warping
of the rotor when it gets hot during long descents and that the modulation is bar none however, the Gustav has more stopping power
and a five year leak proof warranty, which wont help me cuz ill get second hand, still shows its a great brake .
Since both brakes are very similar in price within a couple dollars of each other, I was wondering if the Magura brake is really have more power and for longer for longer with no fade compare to the ti6.
Please help me make my decision as I want to buy these brakes so I can ride once the snow melts.

which brake will be fade free?

thanks alot

james

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I have run mono6ti's for a few years now.

They have worked superbly for me and were great in the alps suffering no fade or loss of performance on the long descents there.

Power wise they are probably overkill for me at 70kgs on a 40lbs bike - very progressive brake though with great modulation.

I would definatley reccomend them but have to say my formula oro's with 203mm rotors work just as well (And are leagues ahead in terms of weight)

Rick

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
not sure about the 6 pot, but i ran a magura gustav on my sunday and HATED THEM, put on hope mono mini (yeah the xc brake) and they worked so much better. If you can set up hopes they are the best brake out there.

BUY HOPE

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Formula has a new brake coming out this year called the One. It is very powerful and super light. I have ridden most of the brakes out there and live in one of the biggest lift accessed bike parks in the world (Champery of the Portes du Soleil) so I feel like my friends and I know what works regarding brakes. The One is the most resistant to fading and most powerful brake we have ridden. Here are some pics of mine.

BTW, I regularly ride 3000 to 6000 vertical foot runs so they would have plenty of opportunity to heat up but they don't. If you want Hopes then I would look at the Moto V2 instead of the 6Ti which have a poor trach record around here.

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I have run mono6ti's for a few years now.

They have worked superbly for me and were great in the alps suffering no fade or loss of performance on the long descents there.

Power wise they are probably overkill for me at 70kgs on a 40lbs bike - very progressive brake though with great modulation.

I would definatley reccomend them but have to say my formula oro's with 203mm rotors work just as well (And are leagues ahead in terms of weight)

Rick
2 piston win over 6 is awesome. ill look into it

im not locked on any brake system. offers are always welcome and appreciated :)

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Formula has a new brake coming out this year called the One. It is very powerful and super light. I have ridden most of the brakes out there and live in one of the biggest lift accessed bike parks in the world (Champery of the Portes du Soleil) so I feel like my friends and I know what works regarding brakes. The One is the most resistant to fading and most powerful brake we have ridden. Here are some pics of mine.

BTW, I regularly ride 3000 to 6000 vertical foot runs so they would have plenty of opportunity to heat up but they don't. If you want Hopes then I would look at the Moto V2 instead of the 6Ti which have a poor trach record around here.

i wish i had the money for a new brake system.:disgust:

which brake will you recommend for long descents between the 2 i mentioned, it should be reliable and easy to bleed and maintain

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've been using gustavs for 3 years. Great stopping power, they fade only if you completely burn your disc. Very little issues with them, easy to maintain and hard to break. But if you want stopping power formulas + goodridge hoses + ebc brakes might be very good as well.

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I've been using gustavs for 3 years. Great stopping power, they fade only if you completely burn your disc. Very little issues with them, easy to maintain and hard to break. But if you want stopping power formulas + goodridge hoses + ebc brakes might be very good as well.
no i dont burn my rotors any more.

so the Formula ORO K24 Breakset will be better then the 2 i mentioned?

im little tight on cash, after buiilding my baby rmx, ill upload a pic later

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well formulas will have less stoping power but if you set them right(dunno how much it would cost the way I did is as I'm euro) they should be enough and will be much lighter.
But if you don't want to play like that then go for gustavs. Even used ones should be in great shape. Very durable.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I may be the minority but I say buy anything but hope. I ran their mono trial brake on my trials rig (supposed to be THE BEST in the game) and 2 of the 3 that were sent to me leaked. One really bad, and one slowly. Granted, once they were set up and fixed they worked well, I still don't necessarily feel great recommending them.

My buddy also runs the 6 piston hopes and I hate them. Lots of power, yes, but terrible, mushy, lever feel and tons of drag. I have also heard of fade problems with them.

Thats my experience and none of it has been with me riding them on a DH rig so take it at face value...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Between the 2 go HOPE 6ti. I weigh 240 and ride hard long NW descents in the passes as well as LONGF STEEP single tracks (Slate creek lookout) and till I rode my formulas nothing compared to my tried and true 6tis. If my formulas fail back to the 6tisd I go, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!
The guy I bought them from was having problems and comnplaining about themn yaddy yaddy "whatever", So I got them from him for a good price replaced the (kinked Line) lines with SS and bled them. They were perfect, most complaints are either need to be bled a little or someone kinked the line and that is with any brake........

HOPE 6TI

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
dude, champery is steep terrain.....like steeper than anything i've ever seen......i can see why you want good brakes....damn......this probably doesn't sound like much help but i've had awesome luck with avid codes.....and the new mag ones are 120grams lighter per set with some improved lever internals.....i would think those would be your best bet.....i've never felt power like that on a brake when you needed it, but still been able to modulate it

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
If hopes are fitted, adjusted and bled correctly the lever feel is rock solid, there is no drag and performance is fantastic: I think your freind needs to spend sometime setting his brakes up.

My oro's did take very little time to setup/install etc which is a bonus - but i am yet to try my oro's on 'alpine' descents where my m6ti's performed flawlessley run after run.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Can anyone tell me what the weights of the brackes are?
magura gustav m
oro 24
avid?
Per set? (including rotors and all?)

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
dude, champery is steep terrain.....like steeper than anything i've ever seen......i can see why you want good brakes....damn......this probably doesn't sound like much help but i've had awesome luck with avid codes.....and the new mag ones are 120grams lighter per set with some improved lever internals.....i would think those would be your best bet.....i've never felt power like that on a brake when you needed it, but still been able to modulate it
ya i know there great

i didnt like the leaver feel tho

and if ill get some it will be 07.
from what my friends sey. they arnt that great "for the long run".

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
thanks alot for all the help :clapping:

from what i read , its all about a good bleed and adjusting them right.

i like fixing my bike and built each part by my self.
ill have lots of time till snow melts to make them feet right.

i think ill go for the ti6 then.

any special problems i should check, they berley have a scratch

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
tell you to buy brakes other then Gustavs. I have had a pair on three different bikes and beat the **** out of them with no problems what so ever. Just change pads when the wear out and bleed every year or so. They have two issues with them. One they are expensive to change adapters on and they are tough for small hands to use. On the other hand they have the most stopping power, the most reliable and toughest brakes out there. Magura has not changes the caliper in 0ver 10 years,. why because it is bomb proof and does the job, Don't go with the flavor of the year go with the DH brake of the decade Gustav's

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
not sure about the 6 pot, but i ran a magura gustav on my sunday and HATED THEM, put on hope mono mini (yeah the xc brake) and they worked so much better. If you can set up hopes they are the best brake out there.

BUY HOPE
:shocked:
WHAT?
What did you hate about them? I have a set on my V-10 and I've never felt a better brake!! Modulation, power out the wazoo...

And to Whitermx... I am running the XT 4pots on my 7pt and the gustavs are still noticably better. Also, you mentioned that the Hope 6's have a floating rotor, but you didn't mention that the Gustav's have a floating caliper that will do the same thing.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Formulas are awesome brakes, especailly as a lightweight option but I still like my 6ti's better. There's just a certain "finger-feel" that I just haven't found in any other brake. To me, the 'finger-feel' is just what it comes down to, unless it is severley lacking power like somethings broken or something.

nickfr2000

Chimp
Sep 28, 2007
I've got both brakes on my bikes. I have the Gustavs on my DH bike and the Mono 6 on my AM bike. The Gustavs pairs well with the DH bike since it's got more stopping power for the 45 lbs. bike + 225 lbs (my DH riding weight). However the Mono 6 Ti's superior modulation provides more than enough power to stop the 38 lbs. bike + 215 lbs
(my AM riding weight).

If I had to choose between the two, the Mono 6ti is better overall. More than adequate power, excellent modulation & lever feel, lighter weight, & bling factor. However if the Gustavs have better levers (like the Dangerboys) then I'd pick it over the Mono 6.

The lever of the Hopes encourages more single finger braking while you have no option but do double finger braking on the Gustavs due to the long levers.

Here are the pics :

nickfr2000

Chimp
Sep 28, 2007
I like the Shockwave better than the Sin. As a Full DH/Xtreme FR bike, the Shockwave excels in it's category while the Sin in just so-so for AM/light FR.

I saw some a Ebay previously for $65, but never bothered to spend because I got used to the levers. Also installing it is not as simple.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
will throw this out there. what about codes? i have a pair on my bike and never run out of braking. (240lb guy on bike) i practically rode my rear brake down tunnel (for the first time) and i still had brake left at the end. love these things, and some what cheap (code 5s)

Shane

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Several posters seem to think that a DH bike needs more breaking power than an XC/4X/DJ/whatever because a DH is heavier.

The weight has very little to do with it. The bigger brakes are mostly due to use (going DH) and also due to the much greater traction a DH bike has vs a bike with less suspension and smaller tires.

6tis are not worth it, heavy and not significantly more powerful than anything else (hope themselves claim the power is the same as the M4). Codes have more power and modulate just as well.

Gustavs have larger rotors (210mm vs 203mm) and more fluid capacity so they will resist fading better than other brakes.
Of the systems that have been around for a few seasons these are the best bet.

Another option is 220mm floating rotors with just about any decent brake. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18752

diamondratuk

Chimp
Jun 5, 2007
A, A
I've been running these for a year now and wont run anything else.

As for getting other lever blades:-
Only go for the DangerBoy levers if you want to pimp your levers up.
A lot of people don't know this, but you can get the 2-finger ally Julie lever blades that will fit into the Gustav Lever Body.
It is even listed as an alternate replacement part at the back of the Magura 2005 trade book. (I have one)
Part No 0721 317 (2x)

Just order a pair from your local bike shop.

I have got a set on my gustav's and they are real nice to use and less prone to crash damage as they don't stick out as much (plus I run my levers real lose so they can move).

whitermx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
lol

on my first run this year in vegas, i had a little slip on a rocky trail(bootleg canyon).
the right lever already got some play up/down !!

my lbs want 90 bucks for db blades.

do you know if db make the short levers for them? (1 finger)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I've run pretty much all the mono series on bikes over the last couple of years, and can safely say never again.

I've never run such a temprimental brake. Drove me nuts. Bled countless times, tried various different pads, still nothing like the performance I expected.

They were utter toot compared to the Saints & Formula's I have run since :)

I can only recommend the Gustav's, have only only ridden once with a set, they really are a monster brake, but pretty heavy (comparable to the 6Ti though). Magura come with a 5 year warranty too, which is an indication of reliability.

Tesla

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Splott
Im pretty much at the hope-never again stage, ive used most models
...the fiddling is getting old now, Ive got a set of bottom of the range shimano hydros on another bike and they piss all over the hope mono 4s I have on my main bike