Quantcast

Hope Pro II Front 20mm play?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Hi there,

Even after I have changed the bearings I still have some play in the hub. Any ideas what could solve the issue?

Thanx

MK

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Worn bearing "bed"?
Check the wheel with different axle and different fork.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
The Hope hub might have unfixable play on some front axles, as the bearings sit directly on the axle, rather than having a sleeve between the axle and the bearings like most 20mm front hubs have. The bearings and the axle can't have a very tight fit because the axle must slide through the hub pretty easily.
With the sleeved design the sleeve is clamped between the fork legs, and the sleeve and bearings can have a tight fit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've noticed this play as well. On my hub, it is a very tiny amount of play, though. The only time I ever notice it is when I first pull the bike out of the shed, usually dragging the front wheel sideway a bit. This is with a Fox 36 fork too.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
The Hope hub might have unfixable play on some front axles, as the bearings sit directly on the axle, rather than having a sleeve between the axle and the bearings like most 20mm front hubs have. The bearings and the axle can't have a very tight fit because the axle must slide through the hub pretty easily.
With the sleeved design the sleeve is clamped between the fork legs, and the sleeve and bearings can have a tight fit.
Thank you for the inside!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I've noticed this play as well. On my hub, it is a very tiny amount of play, though. The only time I ever notice it is when I first pull the bike out of the shed, usually dragging the front wheel sideway a bit. This is with a Fox 36 fork too.
I have another wheelset with Hope Pro II as well and there is zero play, and I notice the play when riding ........