Quantcast

Hope Pro II hub question

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I am ordering a rear hub and am wondering which one I should order.

I know I need a 32 hole 135mm, but would I order the single speed hub or do I get the one that accepts casettes and run a single speed with spacers? I think I saw the single speed only comes with QR, or am I just not seeing something?

I have 14mm dropouts which I will need to spacer down to whatever size is available from Hope... hopefully a 12mm would be an offering.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
single speed hubs have wider flange spacing than hubs that accept cassettes. This will give you less dishing, and a stronger wheel.

Hope does make a 12mmx135 hub, but disc only.

What frame is this going in? If you have 14mm dropouts, I would recommend getting something intended for that, instead of trying to space up a 10/12mm axle.

I'd recommend Profile since you need 14mmx135mm. They come in single speed, 6 speed, and 8/9 speed. Disc and non. Plus, their new 204pt engagement hubs should be available soon.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'll drop a vote for a 6 speed hub. Hope and profile both make single speed hubs with a short freehub you can get 6 cogs on. This gives you a dishless wheel and the ability to run a few gears or fine tune your chainline.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Its going onto a Nighttrain, but this isnt the frame I plan on keeping forever either. Thats kinda why I am going to do the spacer thing for a while. I will probably buy a new frame this winter so I want a wheelset thats going to be good for whatever frame I choose and from what I have seen 12mm seems to be about the most common dropout size.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
12mm is definitely not the most common dropout size. Its become much more popular for DH and some freeride bikes over the last few years(part of that is due to more than one or 2 companies making hubs with 12mm axles), but they still haven't overtaken 10mm. There's also still the debate as to whether or not 12mm buys you much strength over 10mm (specialized doesn't think its worth it, supposedly they have done testing proving that there is no strength difference between the two, which is why the demo's are still using 10mm axles).

Don't forget that if you are looking for a dh/fr bike to use in the future (I'm assuming that because you are looking at a 12mm axle) that the frame might be 12mm compatible, it may also take a 150mm spaced hub, not a 135. At which point compromising on what hub you buy now will not have worked out.

Also, if you are going to buy a new frame this winter (which is knocking at the door), why not just wait and then get a good hub for that frame? Another option is buy a good hub specific for your nighttrain (14x135 ss), and then sell it once you get whatever your new frame is. Good hubs (like profile, hope, hadley) have good resale value, especially if they have seen little use or have been very well maintained.

Sep 12, 2004
if you can afford it - get the hope pro 2 trials hub

its single speed hub (builds a dishless wheel) and you can put on 6 cogs if you really want on the back. the trials hub actually uses wider (and therefore stronger) pawls than the standard hope pro 2 hubs and they have 48 engagement points vs. the 24 that come on the standard hope pro 2 hubs

the hope pro 2 trials hub comes as a bolt on only option and is really the best single speed hub under the chris king which is $$$. the bolts fit in 10mm dropouts which is the most common single speed "mtb" frame size. if you go to a 12mm slot frame - i guess you can run adapters or get some chain tugs that will take up the gap

ive got one, my buddy has one...theyre awesome

http://www.thetrialsinshop.com/images/wheels/hope_pro2.jpg