Quantcast

Hope Pro II problems

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
So I have had my Hope pro 2 for a while now and it's been great. Last night I felt a bunch of play in my cassette and decided to take a look and I could not get the cassette off, so the entire thingy popped off..Whats it called, the carrier I think (the gold peice). Few of the pawls were free floating in the hub (I'll just assume they came off when I took the gold peice off)..anyways, was unable to ever get the cassette off so I just tossed it back on after putting the pawls and what not back into place. Put the wheel back on the bike and it will not freewheel (I think its called that) Where the cranks spin with the hub. It only does this in the higher gears and is fine if my weight is on it. If I pedal backwords I get chainsuck or whatever...(the chain becomes all slack) I dont know...any ideas?

Im sorry, I suck at thinking right now so if this makes no sense thats ok. I will re-write it tommrow.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The seal (the large plastic ring) around the freehub body is not sat correctly. Remove cassette/freewheel again. Seat seal using fingers. Make sure it's in all the way around. Replace freehub body/cassette.

Incidentally, I've found the way to remove a jammed cassette is to use a flatblade screwdriver between the sprockets. Some firm twisting usually pops 'em off! ;)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The seal (the large plastic ring) around the freehub body is not sat correctly. Remove cassette/freewheel again. Seat seal using fingers. Make sure it's in all the way around. Replace freehub body/cassette
Could be this, or it could be missing the freehub spacer that sits between the main hub body and the freewheel in order to prevent it jamming up. If you dropped that when you pulled it off, you need to find it and put it back in there. It's just a small washer basically.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Hope this helps. Check to make sure number 9 and 10 are in there correctly. If the cassette is stuck good, you may be able to pull the screw out of it from the rear ( with freehub body off) and separate the cogs individually.

Attachments

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm betting against the spacer being the problem. In my experience if you leave that out the wheel locks solid once the dropouts are tightened. In this case the OP claims it freewheels ok in lower gears. Plus, MOST people have the common sense to keep track of what comes out upon disassembly. If something doesn't work and you have parts left on the floor when all's said and done, chances are the left over parts were necessary!

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Alright thanks for the help, it still dont work but atleast the thought was there. What I think is that it is the drive side seal (10 on the PDF thing ________) posted. That peice is warped and will not fit snug into the groove between the pawls and the hub body.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So you've got excessive play in the freehub body, and lots of drag when trying to freewheel/ backpedal?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i reckon its the seal causing the problem. If you cant get the cassette off the free hub (the gold bit) it will be difficult to get the seal to seat correctly when ur reinstalling the freehub. Even with the cassette off its tricky enough to fit correctly id imagine its impossible with the cassette still on the freehub body.

If your having trouble getting the cassette off its probably due to the cassette cutting into the soft alloy of the freehub. If you can get the first or smallest sprocket off the free hub so you can hold it still. Id probably use a swan neck pliers or something similar to hold the freehub and then use your chain whip to rotate the sprockets counter clockwise to loosen them from the freehub and they should slide off.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Based on your knowledge of bikes maybe you should take it to a bike shop to have it looked at.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Based on how stupid you are maybe you should shut your mouth and never speek again?

Alright back to the topic: I can get the five smallest cog's off but cant get the last 4 off, I dont think it breaks down anymore then this. It's a Ultegra CS-6500. The seal does not fit tight around the carrier and that is what I think is causing the problem.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
either tap the cassette from behind with a punch and hammer (lightly) or get 2 chainwhips and rotate the frozen cogs counter clockwise, as they've likely just gouged themselves into the freehub body.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Ok I was able to get all the sprockets off but the seal is still warpped, I cleaned out the little grove it sits in aswell.