ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
They make the best looking products, the craftsmanship is amazing

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The moto2 was the worst hope brake i have ever seen. I had a team rider on them and he went through 4 sets in one season. The first 2 would simply not bleed, there was something wrong with the caliper and the distributor KNEW this when they sent them out. "Oh ya, there was a bad batch but only some of them were affected"?? WTF

So the continuously replaced them until he got a set that worked. These leaked heavily out of the lever. It took ages to get them to him as well, it was ridiculous. He finally used a set of juicies he borrowed from someone and decided to stay on them as they just felt better, were lighter etc.

Normally hope stuff is rock solid, but those dual disc moto brakes were horrendous. I advise staying away and going with another brake, either from Hope or someone else.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
The Hope products I own work amazing. Ive had the Mono 6 for about 4 seasons and they still feel the same as when I bought them. Also ive emailed them a few times with questions and they always get back to me within a day or so.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bpatterson,
Can you tell me a little more about your time with the Motos? Did you use vented or floating rotors?

I've had non-mono m4s on my bike for a while. They were very hit or miss, but had an awesome feel when set up properly, and hope makes such a nice lever that you don't need to worry about dangerboy or anything. They had to be set up right though, spaced properly and bled well, as air got trapped in the calipers often. The pads are just too small and heat up then fade.

From what I've read, the lever feel on these is incredibly solid, and hope has somehow managed to design their brakes to bleed like every other hydraulic system in the world, while most other manufacturers require you to wear special helmets and attach 9 syringes to the system just to get the air out.

Oct 14, 2007
Bpatterson,
hope has somehow managed to design their brakes to bleed like every other hydraulic system in the world, while most other manufacturers require you to wear special helmets and attach 9 syringes to the system just to get the air out.
im not a fan of the bleeding technique...were you use air from a tire to push the oil...doesnt work in most cases and is a pain tried to use the hose of another bleed kit and the problem is that the bleed nipple is way to think....darn

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Bpatterson,
Can you tell me a little more about your time with the Motos? Did you use vented or floating rotors?

I've had non-mono m4s on my bike for a while. They were very hit or miss, but had an awesome feel when set up properly, and hope makes such a nice lever that you don't need to worry about dangerboy or anything. They had to be set up right though, spaced properly and bled well, as air got trapped in the calipers often. The pads are just too small and heat up then fade.

From what I've read, the lever feel on these is incredibly solid, and hope has somehow managed to design their brakes to bleed like every other hydraulic system in the world, while most other manufacturers require you to wear special helmets and attach 9 syringes to the system just to get the air out.
I had the V2 Moto with Vented rotors. They were rediculously strong.
Way too much brake IMO. If your looking for the strongest brakes EVER, these are the brakes for you. I have had all types of the Hope brakes (M4, M6ti, Mono Mini & V2's) Never a problem with any of them. ALWAYS super easy to bleed and easy to upgrade or replace the lines. I love Hope brakes. I have heard of other people having issues, but I was lucky I guess. Strong, but modulate well IMO. I never experienced fade in almost 2yrs old riding on them. They worked well for a guy my size. I'm about 6' 215. I had 203mm Rotors Front and Rear. I can only say positive things about them. They were flawless for me.

The hope bleed kit with giant canister and chuck is hilarious. Attach to inflated tire to create pressure to bleed the system.:rofl::rofl: Straight british wonky stuff.
I know the hope stuff is hit or miss. When they are on they feel awsome, but way to much of a pain to bleed or find parts if they break.
I read some where that the older jaguar car's had 50+ moving parts for the throttle assembly alone.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
My '07 Moto V2s were awesome, just too powerful so I ended up selling them. Now I am dealing with my hit-or-miss M4s that used to work well... I only had the floating rotor but they were ridiculously strong, could definitely do with less than a 203mm in the back.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i find hope stuff hit or miss any of there stuff i've owned has been a pain in the ass great untill you had to work on them and then constantly having to work on them from then on. I have mates who swear by there m4s but I personally never have had much luck with them. They are very easy to bleed and no need for the fancy bleed kit. In my own experience i've found shimano brakes to be the only fit and forget brake i've ever had. Formula and avids have always been a pain for me

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ive never used a fancy bleed kit on my Mono 6ti's and they bleed perfectly. Sometimes I find my back brake is harder to bleed, I get these very small air bubbles that are hard to get rid of.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ive never used a fancy bleed kit on my Mono 6ti's and they bleed perfectly. Sometimes I find my back brake is harder to bleed, I get these very small air bubbles that are hard to get rid of.
That's where the bleed kit comes in. You need gravity to help get the bubbles out of a rear line, which usually means removing the caliper from the frame or spinning the bike on the stand. With the power bleeder you don't need to do that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had to tap my rear caliper on the ground after it was removed from the frame. the number of bubbles that came out was scary, but the brake worked soooo much better afterwards. There's something to be said about getting it right.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
There are some minor changes to the 09 V2 caliper (its not exactly the same as the 08). The V2s are quite powerful as others have mentioned above. The m4's got a bit of an overhaul as well.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
That's where the bleed kit comes in. You need gravity to help get the bubbles out of a rear line, which usually means removing the caliper from the frame or spinning the bike on the stand. With the power bleeder you don't need to do that.
Hmm never thought of the spinning idea. Im talking very very small bubbles, like the size of the end of a ball point pen, but theres quite a bit of them. What part of the process would I spin my wheels?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i think he is refering to moving your bike more vertical on a bike stand, not actually spinning the wheels. so that the calipers are facing upwards more then horizontal.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ahh I get what your saying, because the front calipers are obviously up due to there positioning on the fork. Ya that makes sense, thanks alot.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ahh I get what your saying, because the front calipers are obviously up due to there positioning on the fork. Ya that makes sense, thanks alot.

Two other things you can easily do to help with the little bubbles:

1 tap the caliper with a screwdriver handle or similar to knock the bubbles loose....then tap the line, working up to the lever keeping any bubbles moving up due to boyancy. When you have worked up to the lever, squeeze the lever and then let it snap to return....the more violent the lever return the better. THis dislodges any air in the M/C seals /assembly.

2 when bleeding, squeeze the lever hard with the bleed nipple closed...then open the bleen needle fully FAST! The velocity of the fluid will help dislodge and flush the air pockets. Repeat this several times to flush and clean the entire system of old fluid.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
i think he is refering to moving your bike more vertical on a bike stand, not actually spinning the wheels. so that the calipers are facing upwards more then horizontal.
Yep, that's what I meant. To properly manually bleed the rear brake you need to have the line vertical, so rotating the bike on the stand helps.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
I bleed mines once, 3 years ago, they never fade, most strongest brakes ever, I'd learned how to bleed brakes with the shimano's XT four piston, they were good too, but you had to change the brake fluid every year. not with Hopes, I'll get the V2 Tech they look awesome. can't run floating rotors on marzocchi's tho.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I have never had a Hope disc brake fail on me, always found them to very powerful and they are one of the easiest brake systems to work on. I can not say the same thing about any of the other brakes I have used. This includes a fair bit of alpine riding and even a mega avalanche or two. I have had a fair few different sets from the original black closed to last years silver minis and cant fault them. My original set is on a friends bike still and are still going strong. My Ti6s are on my play bike and my minis are on my XC bike. I did get a Hayes for my DH bike some time ago but they proved a pain to work on and quite problematic if you did not look after them. I had a set of Avids last year that I truly hated. I had never felt a brake that has so little feel. I have old type Saint on my race bike at the moment and they worked fine but just lack power compared to the others. Though I am getting a new 4 pot front caliper and some goodridge hoses that should hopeful help.

Oct 14, 2007
I have used Hopes (M6Ti and M4) for the past 2 years and to be honest, I am going back to my good old hayes mags for '09.
Cant find anything wrong with the Hopes, i jusst like my mags better.
you got jokes...but seriously...mags have to be the worst brake i've ever user ever:nopity: