Quantcast

Hope tech3 e4

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Has Anyone experience (for DH) with this brakes? any performance Issues?
I know that the v4 are the DH especific but they are a little bit expensive for my budget :banned:

thanks!!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just went through the brake thing.
Was considering a few, but ended up robbing a bank and went with the Hope Tech 3 V4.
Same lever, just a bit smaller caliper vs E4

If it is for the big bike, find the extra few bob and get the V4's.
One of the best bike purchases I have ever made, and by far the best brakes I have used.
(and you just never get tired of looking at them)

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
thanks!! I might aswell go for that route but right now the shop made me a very good deal on a pair of e4

A friend of mine has de v4s and are exceptional :)

Dec 9, 2015
I have been waiting to get some Hopes too. One thing that I think they hit the bar on (from what I have read from others) is there bite point adjustment. Will be getting my own in the near future.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have been waiting to get some Hopes too. One thing that I think they hit the bar on (from what I have read from others) is there bite point adjustment. Will be getting my own in the near future.
The reach and bite adjustments are to die for.
Nice heavy click on each position with a firm positive stop.
(...and if you sell a kidney, you can buy the adjustment screws in various colours to up the bling even more....)

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd probably get the V4s for a DH bike, the E4 has less power (same lever on a significantly smaller slave piston area).

I think the bite point adjuster design is good but the lever throw is quite long so everyone I know runs those adjusters fully in anyway (which renders them essentially useless).

Nice brakes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I use both for DH and the E4 has slightly less power but still handles Champéry laps.
V4 has 13.28% more power according to my spreadsheet.

E4 saves some weight with the regular hoses over the heavy braided ones though.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm currently running the V4 on the rear and an E4 on the front. Also, the Hopes are the only brakes I prefer the organic pads over metallic. I get way more bite out of the organic pads with less force at the lever. Maybe I got some bad sintered pads...not sure.
13.28% sounds about right.

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Thanks! to all who took time to answer, you´ve been really helpfull with your theory and practical experience :cheers:
I they are ok for champery laps the would be ok for me, so.... Im going to pull the trigger on the e4s, considering the deal the b shop made me
Ill report in a few weeks to tell how it went!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I weigh 220LBS and have ridden both brakes down long like 10-15 minute trails. Keep in mind my speed is probably half of BUCK's but I never felt fade in either system.....I can feel the power difference though.