Quantcast

Hope Trials?

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
66
0
Seattle, WA
You shouldn't since they have aluminum pots that will not do so well with heat acumulation. They are trials brakes for a reason.
 

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
102
0
manhattanprjkt83 said:
didnt even know they made a trials brake :confused:, what is the advantage of an aluminum pot over other materials?
Yep, standard Mini lever with a different caliper (larger). 160mm rotor and steel braided brake lines. Supposidly a more "on/off"feel than the mini's.
 

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
5,100
0
Sand, CA
yea felt those before. they are actually lighter then the regular mini's yet have more power and are bigger. just for trials though. thats why they are called that....
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,146
577
Nilbog
but how do they accomplish the more "on off feel", different pads? I mean the larger roater would translate to this a bit, i dont understand the advantage of an aluminum pot though, would it just be the weight, and they can get away with that because they will not heat up? Im just curious...and why not run steel braded lines on all models, esp those for dh use?
 

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
102
0
manhattanprjkt83 said:
but how do they accomplish the more "on off feel", different pads? I mean the larger roater would translate to this a bit, i dont understand the advantage of an aluminum pot though, would it just be the weight, and they can get away with that because they will not heat up? Im just curious...and why not run steel braded lines on all models, esp those for dh use?
This is just especulation, but modulation/lever feel/piston force on the pads all have to do with a few things:

1. They probably tightened some tolerance in the mono design, the hydraulic piston ratios were probably changed to give better mechanical advantage.

2. The aluminum pot would have a few advantages for trials use.
Aluminum is generally stiffer than the stainless steel (I could be wrong but i think the pots are stainless steel on the other hopes). With a machined aluminum caliper and aluminum pot you would have a stiffer overall caliper. True the aluminum does not disipate heat as well as SS, but you don't have long braking efforts with high heat generation from a spinning rotor like you would have on a DH bike or a XC bike for that matter. Plus you get some weight savings with aluminum, especially with a larger size.

3. Stainless steel brake lines will lessen the amount of expansion in the brake line when the fluid is pressurized compared to regular lines. In trials you are constantly holding the brake at full pressure. The fluid is being compressed and trying to release itself at the weakest point, usually the brake lines. You might not notice this during normal breaking but during intense braking, like in trials, a stiffer line will hold a more constant pressure because of less expansion of the line. SS lines are more expensive and not a necessity for XC or DH uses, but do make a nice upgrade for DH.

So with different piston ratios, stiffer/larger caliper and stainless steel lines you are getting a brake that 'holds' much stronger, perfect for trials use, but not a good thing for xc/dh.
 

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
2,052
0
alex. va. usa.
the pot in the caliper is like 3-4 mm bigger than the regular mini. they are way more powerful and have to use a special by-directional rotor. i would attemded to use them on a none trial application in fear of breaking other parts in the bike(ie: the beark tabs in the frame)
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,146
577
Nilbog
Palilla said:
This is just especulation, but modulation/lever feel/piston force on the pads all have to do with a few things:

1. They probably tightened some tolerance in the mono design, the hydraulic piston ratios were probably changed to give better mechanical advantage.

2. The aluminum pot would have a few advantages for trials use.
Aluminum is generally stiffer than the stainless steel (I could be wrong but i think the pots are stainless steel on the other hopes). With a machined aluminum caliper and aluminum pot you would have a stiffer overall caliper. True the aluminum does not disipate heat as well as SS, but you don't have long braking efforts with high heat generation from a spinning rotor like you would have on a DH bike or a XC bike for that matter. Plus you get some weight savings with aluminum, especially with a larger size.

3. Stainless steel brake lines will lessen the amount of expansion in the brake line when the fluid is pressurized compared to regular lines. In trials you are constantly holding the brake at full pressure. The fluid is being compressed and trying to release itself at the weakest point, usually the brake lines. You might not notice this during normal breaking but during intense braking, like in trials, a stiffer line will hold a more constant pressure because of less expansion of the line. SS lines are more expensive and not a necessity for XC or DH uses, but do make a nice upgrade for DH.

So with different piston ratios, stiffer/larger caliper and stainless steel lines you are getting a brake that 'holds' much stronger, perfect for trials use, but not a good thing for xc/dh.
:thumb:

I started to read this and thought "damn this guy is good" then I realized who it is "DW junior"

so are we gonna ride sat or what?
 

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
102
0
manhattanprjkt83 said:
:thumb:

I started to read this and thought "damn this guy is good" then I realized who it is "DW junior"

so are we gonna ride sat or what?

can't dude, the marathon owns me at this point :devil: ...after October 15th back on track... :thumb:
 

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
79
0
UK
i have one.

no modulation!
it really is on or off. amazing for street / trials use, very sketchy for trail riding, i tried!

mine are lined up with goodridge hoses though.