Quantcast

hopping and stuff

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I just got a new hardtail, and I want to learn to do some trialsy street riding, but I am completely stuck. First of all, I can't manual, even though I've been trying to learn for a couple months. What are some good tips? Also, once I learn how to manual, how do you progress from a manual to rear wheel hopping and pedal kicking?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
hey, i've been riding trials for a couple months now, i can't manual at all. if i ever do, its always on accident. the basics to rear wheel hopping: slowly rolling forward, grab the front brake, rock forward, and shift all your weight back and pull up on the bars. this wil get the front end up, then just practice jumping. its tough at first, and can be frustrating at times. as you start to get that down, to pedal kick: with front end up hopping on your rear wheel, hop while letting go of the rear brake, and giving a quarter pedal turn. its awkword at first, trust me, but it will come with practice. try and go out riding with some other trials guys. you'll want to go out with people who are better than you, jsut go give you some pointers (I've found that it really helps you push your limits). but you'll also want to be able to ride with people yoru own skill level, so you guys can push eachother, and encourage eachother. the best thing is to just get out there and practice. even if its in a parking lot or on the sidewalk. just practice hopping and learning how to pedal kick. practice practice practice. another good thing to remember, as your learning, try and keep your knees and elbows bent, i have a really hard time with this because i learned with my arms and legs really stif instead of bent. i hope this helps!

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I learned how to do rear wheel hops long before I learned to manual. I'd learn how to wheelie first before attempting manuals. The problem that alot people have wheeliing or manualing is they don;t get their front wheel high enough. When your doing it right you are right on the verge of looping out. That right where your balance point is. It also helps moving aroung alot and thrusting your hips, just imagine balancing on a fence post or somthing with your arms streched out and butt sticking back. If your about to fall back push your waist forward and vice versa. Try that out, and keep practicing.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Personally I've also found it helpful to practice backhops by getting my front tire up on something like a picnic bench seat and then starting to hop and shifting my weight back a little to maintain that position.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the advice. Now here's my new dilemma: When trying to do back wheel hops, I grab my front brake and rock forward off my rear wheel, then lock my rear brake and rock back onto my rear wheel. At this point, my front wheel is off the ground, so I hop. However, I always land on both wheels--I can't stay up on my rear wheel. Do I just need to get my weight further back, or is there more to it?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
pull up and back harder. lean all your body mass back as far as possible. you just aren't getting the front end up high enough. its ok, i was the same way when i got into it. when you start rocking backwords, just rock as far back as possible. if you go back to far and fall backwords, its ok, because you can just jump off or put a foot out to catch you. it will all come with practice. another thing that might help is try not to hop so high, just practice small little hops. that might help.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by Happy
Personally I've also found it helpful to practice backhops by getting my front tire up on something like a picnic bench seat and then starting to hop and shifting my weight back a little to maintain that position.
Look at you posting the advice I gave you like it was your own idea :D

yeah, I would definately agree with this tip. It will save you from having to concentrate so hard on your balance when you rock forward then backward into the backhop position. Once you get the backhop down then work on just balancing on the rear wheel without hopping... this will help you with pedal kicks.

A really good way to get more comfortable with a manual is to wheelie down a small set of stairs. The more comfortable you become, the further back you'll lean until you almost are looping out. Once you get to that point you don't have to pedal anymore to keep the front wheel up and you'll be manualling down stairs :)

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Originally posted by oxygen_77

A really good way to get more comfortable with a manual is to wheelie down a small set of stairs. The more comfortable you become, the further back you'll lean until you almost are looping out. Once you get to that point you don't have to pedal anymore to keep the front wheel up and you'll be manualling down stairs :)
Just dont loop out on the stairs. :dead: I nearly destroyed my elbow doing that.

Back hops:
Every thing that has been said is good, practice is key.

Pedal kicks:
I learned these by doing it from a trackstand first and then using them when im backhopping. Just rock back and forth, to get balanced, then crank the pedals real quick a quarter turn as you pull up lightly on the bars (not quite as hard as you have to to get up on the rear wheel). Now roll a few feet and lock the rear brake right before you fall over backwards. Keep practicing until you end up fairly balanced over the rear wheel. You have just mastered the art of the pedal roll.

Practice this until you feel comfortable enough to throw in a hop right after you crank the pedals.

Hope this helps

Oh, and for the record, i can balance over the rear wheel almost indefinately but i still cannot manual - fricken hard move.

Jonathan