Quantcast

Horizontal D/O length?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all...

I'm re-designing the dropouts/CS length on my current frame for this spring/summer... Now obviously, you can get safe with the dropout length by going with an inch or so.. But that seems unnecessary these days...

With that say, if I plan on running a half-link chain, or even a norm. chain with a half-link... What do you all think is the necessary length of adjustability in a horiz. dropout? Maybe someone could post up their frames length and if they feel is enough, too much, or not enough :busted:

Thanks all,
A Grove

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hey all...

I'm re-designing the dropouts/CS length on my current frame for this spring/summer... Now obviously, you can get safe with the dropout length by going with an inch or so.. But that seems unnecessary these days...

With that say, if I plan on running a half-link chain, or even a norm. chain with a half-link... What do you all think is the necessary length of adjustability in a horiz. dropout? Maybe someone could post up their frames length and if they feel is enough, too much, or not enough :busted:

Thanks all,
A Grove
the slot length on my '04/'05 Macneil Deuce Deuce it's 1 1/4". on my 2001 Standard STA it was 2" !

it might be interesting if someone charted out all the exact center cs lengths for different ratios with a particular brand of chain. it must be a recurring question over at empire and the other bmx/mtbmx retailers. a lot of kids ask what gear ratio they should run for the wheel to be "slammed" in the dropout. it's always trial and error as far as i know. (would be helpful too for converting a vertical dropout bike to know exactly what gear ratio to use if you didn't want to have to use a tensioner arm).

i've got 36/16 with a shadow half link chain and when it's pulled tight the cs length (center of bb to center of axle) is 15 15/16" or 15.93". i'm not sure how much +/- variation a half link would make.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
over a half-inch....
= approx. range of adjustability with half-link... and of course, things don't always line up exactly like that depending on your gear ratio...
I'd say just over an inch would be good... But remember, just because your slots are .5" doesn't mean you get that full space, unless you somehow feel comfortable running the axle bolt hanging off the edge of the drop-out end...

If you want small and smooth looking, look at the superstar new deal. I like the design and how they attach to the stays. Never be able to run pegs though.