Quantcast

Horizontal or Vertical

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hey, i was just wondering, because so many really good bikes come with both horizontal and vertical dropouts, which would be better on a DJ/Urban bike and for what reasons... Just curious to see what everybody thinks...
cheers

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
plan on running singlespeed?

yes = horzontal
no = vertical

plan on running discs?

yes = better off with either adjustable veritcal drops, or vertical drops, though some frames claim a little adjustment with horizontal drops (i.e. Endless Lifetime)
no = horizontal

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Singlespeed=horizontal
Geared=vertical
I've never really seen a need for gears on a dj bike...unless it's an all around bike that you use at the trails, as well.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
horizontal and vertical like my dna, imo the best damn system invented. so easy lossen 6 bolts tighten one till desired chain slack is taken up, tighten bolts again and your money. disc never has to be messed with

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i really, really, really like the dropouts on the DNA i'm selling. the pre-05 type, with the brass knob you turn. i like it better than the system on my DOC. can you get a picture of your dropout setup?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i promised myself that i wouldnt take any pics till the parts from all my sponsors show up (mid next week) trust me its like your old system only 100x sicker

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
my Identiti has adjustable dropouts too, i like them a lot, although ive never run it ss, so it doesnt really matter what i think. If you go with adjustable though, make sure to tighten them pretty often. I cased a jump pretty hard once and one came loose

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
escapeartist said:
my Identiti has adjustable dropouts too, i like them a lot, although ive never run it ss, so it doesnt really matter what i think. If you go with adjustable though, make sure to tighten them pretty often. I cased a jump pretty hard once and one came loose
try doing something other than a dead sailor next time you loser! :sneaky: