Quantcast

Horrible way to go.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I saw 8 bears in about 2 weeks a month ago. Some of them I came on pretty fast as I rounded a corner and they were either running down the trail or walking UP towards me. Even a mom and a cub that "froze" as I passed about 10-15 to their right. I watched The Renevant on an airliner shortly after, thinking the entire time "oh goddamn, that could have been me".

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I saw 8 bears in about 2 weeks a month ago. Some of them I came on pretty fast as I rounded a corner and they were either running down the trail or walking UP towards me. Even a mom and a cub that "froze" as I passed about 10-15 to their right. I watched The Renevant on an airliner shortly after, thinking the entire time "oh goddamn, that could have been me".
Are you talking grizzly bears? Cus if so holy shit that sounds scary. I am a little obsessed with bears encounter stories for some reason.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are you talking grizzly bears? Cus if so holy shit that sounds scary. I am a little obsessed with bears encounter stories for some reason.
Black bears. We have brown too, haven't seen any...I think. I think the bell I ride with does a damn good job though. They don't seem to be surprised when I come around the corner, sometimes they are running away from me already, I think the worst situations happen when you surprise a bear. We kind of take all this for granted up here, in terms of we ALWAYS ride with bells, but in other places where there are bears, people don't.

We did have one low-achiever on a big group ride a few weeks back that brought a big can of "wasp spray" instead of bear spray. I know it says on the can "kills on contact", but I'm pretty sure that's not for something as big as a bear. Seriously, wasp spray? Are you retarded?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
lol@wasp spray.

It would indeed suck to have a grizz go renevant on you while out for a ride :(

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My only encounter with a Grizzly was while out riding in the Chilcotins in the 2006... We were riding the local trails, so fairly close to homes and ranches. Our guide said to be careful with horses blah blah blah... so at one point my buddy and I wound up ahead of the guide in a DH section and came upon a horse in the trail, maybe 30-40 yards ahead. So we stopped. Then the thing turned to look at us and it was a bear. the thing was so friggin' big we thought it was a horse... I know you're not supposed to turn your back on a bear, but fear got the best of us. I've never climbed so fast in my life!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My daughter never wants to eat her dinner. So my wife made up the "dinner bear" he comes around and smells left over dinner and will get you!!!! Well this worked a little too well and scared the crap out of her. So ive had to tell her that the dinner bear was caught and put in the chicago zoo. Which was ok, but then she stoped eating her dinner and the dinner bear escaped. Well she started eating dinner again. But wouldnt shut up about the fucking dinner bear. So hes back in the chicago zoo with a bigger cage. But still she wont shut the fuck up about it. She is always asking questions and telling people about the dinner bear. People must think we are crazy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My daughter never wants to eat her dinner. So my wife made up the "dinner bear" he comes around and smells left over dinner and will get you!!!! Well this worked a little too well and scared the crap out of her. So ive had to tell her that the dinner bear was caught and put in the chicago zoo. Which was ok, but then she stoped eating her dinner and the dinner bear escaped. Well she started eating dinner again. But wouldnt shut up about the fucking dinner bear. So hes back in the chicago zoo with a bigger cage. But still she wont shut the fuck up about it. She is always asking questions and telling people about the dinner bear. People must think we are crazy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Society has already created myths to scare children into obedience.

Tell her god will send zombie Jesus after her if she doesn't finish her food.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
All my bear encounters have been at whistler. Mostly they seem like docile lumbering dolts. but theyre bears.

I was walking back to our condo once behind the blackcomb lift closest to whistler village and there was a maybe 7 foot incline into the woods next to the trail, all of a sudden like 2 feet from be a cub sat up in the grass next to the trail. scared the fuck out of me. I frooze for a second and was like whew a cub. then he and I both were like oh him. he took off running up the embankment yelping. I stood there like whats all the noise about dude.

Then I remember little bears typically have bigger bears for parents. Looked around for a second, didnt see mama or papa then bounced right quick.

All the ones i've seen on mountain are usually 20-30 feet away and sitting watching or walking in the woods when on the lift.

This little dude scared the shit out of me as I've never been in arms reach of the dudes. X marks the spot fonzi and i high fived. Arrow marks the direction I french'ed it out.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Better dinner bear than pedo bear I always say.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Society has already created myths to scare children into obedience.

Tell her god will send zombie Jesus after her if she doesn't finish her food.
I would never use something as crazy and stupid as god and jesus with my child. Shes three and way to smart for that shit anyway. She knows bears are real and still asks if the dinner bear is real. I mean think about it if santa is real, dinner bear is real.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Pedo dinner bear even worse.

No bear required at home. I'll gladly eat their dinner if they will not and then they get to go to bed hungry. No second chance on dinner.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Thre wasp spray and dinner bear stories are hilarious! I've had a few close encounters with black bears, but my first outside of whistler has to be the most noteworthy/ retarded.

My buddy and I were hiking into a ghost town, checking out these small gage mining tracks and it was really cool. He was like 30 feet in front of me, and out of nowhere he comes running back and says "run!!"
I turn and start running, yelling "what's going on?!" And all he'll say is "just run!!" So we ran...
Apparently he came face to face with a large black bear, and without thinking just ran. He's a super bright guy, and totally knows better, but I guess teh fear got the best of him.

I also got to walk home drunk in Rossland BC at 2am with a black bear paralleling us on the sidewalk across the street with my buddy yelling "HEEY BOO BOO!"

I think my friends are more dangerous than the Bears! :rofl:

That being said, as fascinated as I am with them, I'll be happy to never see a Grizzly in the wild!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sucks, I was always super careful riding/camping up near the Flathead/Glacier area. I even slept in a stinky pit toilet up near Whitefish once as camping would have been too sketchy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i once nearly hit a bear at plattekill. was riding one of the forgotten trails, came around the corner, bear was barely 2ft off the trail. based on how fast it took off, think its a safe bet to say it was just as scared as i was.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We don't have many bears in the city, because, well, it's a city, but there are a lot of bears in areas that have fairly dense human presence, like many of the trail systems on the edge of the city. Biologists say that in these areas, the bears are "normalized" to humans, so pass within 6 feet minding your own business, even between a mom and cub, they don't care. Stop 6 feet away because you noticed the bear or freak out, then you are going down.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Bears are quite prevalent here. My last three hikes have all had bear encounters. Two were black bears that ran away from us, one we are not sure, just saw the tree shaking like hell. The thing here is there are both grizzly and black bears. I do not worry much about black bears, they pretty much run from people and noise, grizzly's on the other hand, are quite dominant and territorial.

Of course up here the discussion about bear spray or pistol will be next. My take, neither make a difference if you cannot clear a holster in time. Both do a great job of giving people a false sense of security. Either chosen, you have to practice practice practice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Of course up here the discussion about bear spray or pistol will be next. My take, neither make a difference if you cannot clear a holster in time. Both do a great job of giving people a false sense of security. Either chosen, you have to practice practice practice.
IF one is going to carry a pistol, they need to carry the minimum caliber that is going to work. A pistol is a pretty poor way to start, most bear-guns are heavy hitting calibers out of carbines or rifles, for more velocity and penetration. A 300g .44 mag is considered the smallest that will work black AND brown, so a .40 glock or 1911 isn't going to impress anyone but yourself. Also, chest-holsters are the most common way to do it around here. Usually, guides and people go armed when they are going deeper into the backcountry, where the only way to get there is by aircraft (float plane usually). Otherwise, most people just use spray, but there's some bleed-over in both.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I had a few encounters with black bears in NH and CA.
I had a mama bear charge against my car once. Idaho, middle of nowhere, large wildfire, mama bear and her cub fleeing the fire along a road, I slowed down to look... scary. Luckily, no harm was done to the rental car.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
IF one is going to carry a pistol, they need to carry the minimum caliber that is going to work. A pistol is a pretty poor way to start, most bear-guns are heavy hitting calibers out of carbines or rifles, for more velocity and penetration. A 300g .44 mag is considered the smallest that will work black AND brown, so a .40 glock or 1911 isn't going to impress anyone but yourself. Also, chest-holsters are the most common way to do it around here. Usually, guides and people go armed when they are going deeper into the backcountry, where the only way to get there is by aircraft (float plane usually). Otherwise, most people just use spray, but there's some bleed-over in both.
But see that there is mis informative right there. Its more about the round than the caliber. 300 grain is over kill, a 230 grain critical duty plus p out of a .45 will penetrate more than enough for a bear, but more importantly, it will expand and send an lethal shockwave through the vitals. The issue with the big ones you listed is they are just plain too large of a weapon to be able to draw quick enough. I will keep my .45, I can place five shots by the time you can get one out on those large 300 grain plus calibers.

Trust me, for most people who actually do not understand nor train enough I say go for the spray, but if you are going to carry a pistol, you need to know how to use it, and need to use proper ammunition.

It would be nice also to see a refillable canister for bear spray practice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But see that there is mis informative right there. Its more about the round than the caliber. 300 grain is over kill, a 230 grain critical duty plus p out of a .45 will penetrate more than enough for a bear, but more importantly, it will expand and send an lethal shockwave through the vitals. The issue with the big ones you listed is they are just plain too large of a weapon to be able to draw quick enough. I will keep my .45, I can place five shots by the time you can get one out on those large 300 grain plus calibers.

Trust me, for most people who actually do not understand nor train enough I say go for the spray, but if you are going to carry a pistol, you need to know how to use it, and need to use proper ammunition.

It would be nice also to see a refillable canister for bear spray practice.
Haha, no.

We are talking about bears, not street junkies. No one in their right mind around here goes into the wilderness with their auto-pistol, in fact, you just don't see anyone doing it. Now, Alaskan's are known to be somewhat stupid and hormone-driven, but the ballistics of .45 are a joke compared to .44 mag. Sure, a similar size round, but that's where it stops. Heavy clothes have been known to stop a .45, the main issue being, it simply doesn't have the penetration. Animals, bears especially, have thick skulls, bones and hides. It's not enough to just wound the bear, animals aren't as easily discouraged by pain and blood as we are, they'll keep going until you have caused either a massive loss of blood pressure or hit a vital organ. You don't want those crazy expanding jagged-edge spinning rounds for something like this, because the bear muscles, tendons, etc., are such that it just won't go through. There's a reason why they don't use those rounds for hunting, like boars and other game that can be taken with a handgun. On something like a bear, that takes serious perpetration, which is why a handgun is a poor choice, although with the right caliber it can be at least effective.

You're not going to "quick draw" a bear anyway. You do need the weapon accessible, so in a pack is completely out of the question, but this isn't a street-encounter. If the bear is within 10 feet and decides to rush you, you won't get any gun out in time. If this happens, you've already screwed up for losing situational awareness.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in the wilderness where there is big game, but you need to "reprogram" a bit from concealed-carry for thugs. It's not even close to the same thing, and if we are talking about bears, you need a weapon that actually works. Or just carry bear spray, as you say, it's lighter.

I have a compact .45 capable of shooting +P BTW, but here in the wilderness, it's not even worth taking. It might do better against wolves, but when there's wolves AND bears, you need something that works on bears.

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I just want everyone to know for their own saftey that bear spray and pistols don't work on the dinner bear. Only eating your dinner will keep you safe. I'm sure everyone here is safe. But he loves spicy food and is mythical so bullets won't hurt him. Also since I created him, only I can put him in or take him out of the Chicago zoo. FYI!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Um
Haha, no.

We are talking about bears, not street junkies. No one in their right mind around here goes into the wilderness with their auto-pistol, in fact, you just don't see anyone doing it. Now, Alaskan's are known to be somewhat stupid and hormone-driven, but the ballistics of .45 are a joke compared to .44 mag. Sure, a similar size round, but that's where it stops. Heavy clothes have been known to stop a .45, the main issue being, it simply doesn't have the penetration. Animals, bears especially, have thick skulls, bones and hides. It's not enough to just wound the bear, animals aren't as easily discouraged by pain and blood as we are, they'll keep going until you have caused either a massive loss of blood pressure or hit a vital organ. You don't want those crazy expanding jagged-edge spinning rounds for something like this, because the bear muscles, tendons, etc., are such that it just won't go through. There's a reason why they don't use those rounds for hunting, like boars and other game that can be taken with a handgun. On something like a bear, that takes serious perpetration, which is why a handgun is a poor choice, although with the right caliber it can be at least effective.

You're not going to "quick draw" a bear anyway. You do need the weapon accessible, so in a pack is completely out of the question, but this isn't a street-encounter. If the bear is within 10 feet and decides to rush you, you won't get any gun out in time. If this happens, you've already screwed up for losing situational awareness.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in the wilderness where there is big game, but you need to "reprogram" a bit from concealed-carry for thugs. It's not even close to the same thing, and if we are talking about bears, you need a weapon that actually works. Or just carry bear spray, as you say, it's lighter.

I have a compact .45 capable of shooting +P BTW, but here in the wilderness, it's not even worth taking. It might do better against wolves, but when there's wolves AND bears, you need something that works on bears.
Dude, just no. Have you read my posts here? You completely missed the point I was going after. I have seen first hand what a .45 caliber 230 grain critical duty does to large game.

So let me respond to this, I will give it to you, you are right you are not going to quick draw on a bear, with either your pistol or your bear spray.
Something else you are just plain not going to do is make a headshot on a hostile bear, so the idea that your round has to go through its skull is just plain invalid. The idea that if you are that panicked you would have that ability is just plain wrong no matter what firearm you are using.

I know up there in the Alaskan wilderness they like to carry some big ass revolvers that will never clear a holster in time, let alone allow for any kind of a follow up shot in time, but down this way most people have come to realize that today's ammunition in a lot of the smaller stuff just plain works better than it ever did in the past.

I do not need to "reprogram". I study this crap constantly, I know exactly what the different rounds do. I will take the ability to make multiple on target follow up shots over being limited to all my hopes on a single .44 mag anyway.

Now with all that said, if you want to continue the discussion on ballistics and lethality we can take it to the Mac and cheese forum.

As far as bear defense goes, I still stand by my actual original statement. Neither a pistol or bear spray mean jack shit if you are not ready to use, or if you are unable to get it out of a holster in time. With this last piece you should know, I carry both.