Quantcast

Horrible way to go.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Something else you are just plain not going to do is make a headshot on a hostile bear, so the idea that your round has to go through its skull is just plain invalid. The idea that if you are that panicked you would have that ability is just plain wrong no matter what firearm you are using.
That wasn't the point, yes, you aim center mass, but the round may have to go through/shatter bones and still be effective. That's a big reason that a .45 just isn't the right tool. I have also seen what a .45 230g will do, and it was amazing how easy it was stopped. Having shot many different calibers and types of rounds at objects, the theme was that the .45 just wasn't a great penetrator. The reason is it's a bit fat slow round. It''s subsonic for sakes in it's regular form. Even +P it's big fat and slow compared to other +P.

This kind of goes back to what the original purpose was, the military used (and still uses) ball ammo and with that in mind, .45 is a larger hole than .354, so more bleeding out, as opposed to even 9mm. That's great, but it doesn't translate to big game, where you need penetration, in excess of what works on humans (which are relatively soft targets).

So back to my original point, taking an insufficient weapon into the wilderness is irresponsible. Just like the guy that unloaded his full AR magazine into a bear a few years back. The bear crawled off, died a few hours later. Hours. After emptying a full magazine into the bear. Why? Those tiny 5.56 rounds fragment and just don't carry enough energy like a bigger .30 caliber round. Same problem as before. Damn shame for an animal to have to bleed out over several hours. Also allows a big chance the animal may still mow you down even though you've shot them several times.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hmm, you still seem to be stuck that I am using a fragmenting round. The CD, is an expanding round. It's used quite frequently here for big game hunting, because of its ability to stop big game fast. We use it here heavily in weapons restricted zones. Elk are on the ground and dead in about ten feet with a single breadbasket shot.

May want to cruise over to the Hornady sight and check out its actual capabilities before discounting this one.

Again, would love to discuss it more if you want over in the Mac and cheese forum. Technologies change and get better...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Apparenty the Rider collided with the bear on a blind corner. Bear decided it was being attacked and reacted as bears do. Unfortunately for the rider that meant killing its percieved attacker
Wow. One of the drawbacks to mountain bikes is that we're relatively fast and quiet. Crazy all the hating on this guy on the comments in the local paper. I'm sure these Sierra club shit heads would love it if we were truly loud enough to avoid situations like this. You can startle a bear on a blind corner on foot, so I don't think slowing down is a legitimate solution. RIP :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow. One of the drawbacks to mountain bikes is that we're relatively fast and quiet. Crazy all the hating on this guy on the comments in the local paper. I'm sure these Sierra club shit heads would love it if we were truly loud enough to avoid situations like this. You can startle a bear on a blind corner on foot, so I don't think slowing down is a legitimate solution. RIP :(
We all ride with bells in AK, making a shitload of noise (sometimes I wonder if it's going to cause me permanent hearing damage). But at least we usually don't surprise the bears, they know we are coming. It kind of readies them for flight, vs. fight, rather than everything happening at once.

I use a hope hub for an extra safety measure (because everyone hates bees).

The moose are far more dangerous than the bears though...

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
The dinner bear doenst always mountain bike but when he does he rides on hadley hubs. Loud hubs will not keep you safe from the dinner bear. Also bike bells sound like dinner bells, these will actually draw in the dinner bear even though its not dinner time. That suit though will keep you safe if you choose to not eat dinner.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
sometimes when I ride solo I whistle. It's usually the old theme from The Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson. It's been stuck in my head since about '92.

I haven't been attacked yet. Therefore, using science, I believe predators prefer Letterman. :nerd:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Last time we got scared by a large animal in the dark, we sang "this is the song that never ends" for a long time as we exited the woods.

....aaaand you're welcome for introducing that into your day :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
We all ride with bells in AK, making a shitload of noise (sometimes I wonder if it's going to cause me permanent hearing damage). But at least we usually don't surprise the bears, they know we are coming. It kind of readies them for flight, vs. fight, rather than everything happening at once.

I use a hope hub for an extra safety measure (because everyone hates bees).

The moose are far more dangerous than the bears though...
Hey look, we can agree on all of that.

Last time we got scared by a large animal in the dark, we sang "this is the song that never ends" for a long time as we exited the woods.

....aaaand you're welcome for introducing that into your day :D
I pretty much hate you right now