Quantcast

Horse Blockade

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
Hey I'm in the midwest trails take sometime to dry out. Ther is no real enforcement of trails open when dry. So the urban bikers and the horse people really make a mess of the wet trails. The horses leave "POST HOLES" which hold water and when dry leave craters.
I'm looking for a horse blockade to discourage them from going on the trails when wet. Gates and signage don't work some trails have been wrecked this spring season. I don't want to harm the horse just discourage them from useing the trails. Any PROVEN methods?
Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What about a cow grate? Mark it clearly, but I doubt a horseback rider could get their horse thru without alot of coaxing:

I think the riders will get the message to stay out!

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I was thinking about this thread while on the trail today.

You're not going to get them to stop, and really they have a right to be there (unless the trail is officially closed????). Why don't you set up a trail work day/weekend for late spring when the trails start to dry out. Make it open to bikers, hikers and equestrians.

That's probably the best way you're going to get the trails to be less treacherous when they dry out. Good luck.

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
fire fighter "PIN HEAD" go ride your key board somewhere else.
I was thinking of a corduroy bridge similar to the cow gate. That is the best option?
As far as a work day ideally yes but realisticly not going to happen the amount of damage and length on some trails is several hundred yards.
Thanks for your help to both of you.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Welcome to my world. I have watched some Corps trails nearly trashed with erosion from horses and mud riding. The horse divots are so bad I took my rigid fork off after one ride. I come from a horse background, but absolutely despise trail riding. Nothing good comes of it, other than a little self satisfaction from the horse owner.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Welcome to my world. I have watched some Corps trails nearly trashed with erosion from horses and mud riding. The horse divots are so bad I took my rigid fork off after one ride. I come from a horse background, but absolutely despise trail riding. Nothing good comes of it, other than a little self satisfaction from the horse owner.
I hated hiking on trails after the horses had been in there in the winter....they completely trashed the trails (and they complain about mountain bikes causing erosion :disgust1:). That gate idea looks promising, but a fair amount of work...if you make it narrow then they can't negotiate it on a horse

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If the trail is open to horses there is nothing you can do to keep the equestrians off short of getting the land manager to close the trail to all users when it is wet.

Ultimately, gonfirefightin is correct and what a group of us have resorted to. There is a multi-use trail that sees wet weather horse riding here. We got approval to build a bike only trail in another section of the park. Let the horse people have their crap trail.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
You guys remember the Race Face freeride video challenge with the guy who had the riding montage where he talks about horses smelling like **** and not being able to ride bridges and drop off of them?

It was an old one from maybe... 2002?