Quantcast

Horses officially kicked off the trail

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, it looks like its official. Horses have been given the boot by the local county in this one forest, on certain trails.

YAY

Found these new green signs out on the trails today.

Got home and started to read about it. It sounds like horses are no longer allowed on those trails. There is a little bit of a shit show to get there though...

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/7623016-mountain-bike-club-under-investigation-for-drinking-in-dufferin-county-forest/

equestrian rider Stewart Dunkley referred county council to images of mountain bikers drinking beer in the parking lot, cooling alcohol in the snow and people in gorilla suits handing beverages to cyclists during events.

“Does the gorilla have smart serve? Does he check for ID?” Dunkley asked. “Now, I enjoy a beer myself but I don’t drink in the parking lot nor on the trail. … They drink openly. In fact, it’s advertised on their site.”
https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/7595292-horse-riders-want-ombudsman-to-investigate-dufferin-county-forest-decision/

I was also reading the actual by-law, and it says in plain text that horses do a lot of trail damage. Almost spit my beer out when I read that, I think thats the first time I've ever read that on anything official to do with trails. And it says that horse riders should kick the poo off the trail! LOL

https://www.dufferincounty.ca/files/content-pdf/county-forest-by-law-consolidated-june-2018.pdf

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wait wut? Is that a step up? If not I was gonna ask why the landing is so lippy :imstupid:

The run out for the lander looks like it's uphill though
The landing is basically flat. There is nothing after it.

This is the trail leading up to it. That stepup in the pictures above is where they end on. The valley keeps going, but there is shitloads of downed trees to remove.

The gaps at the end are even bigger now... Pretty much just balls out fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLUo1lBAiiy/

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The landing is basically flat. There is nothing after it.

This is the trail leading up to it. That stepup in the pictures above is where they end on. The valley keeps going, but there is shitloads of downed trees to remove.

The gaps at the end are even bigger now... Pretty much just balls out fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLUo1lBAiiy/
bruhhhh

That second hit was for real. Did not expect that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
XC jumps, yes!
Who is the land manager?
Crown land?
The land isnt crown land, but it is public land under control of the county.

The trails in those videos are "secret" in an unused section of forest.

The marked and legal trails are maintained by a small local club; same club mentioned in one of the articles above who had a guy in a gorilla suit handing out beers on the trail. :rofl:

holy. fucking. shit.
whoever chose that soundtrack deserves to be locked in one of drumpf’s family separation facilities for all eternity.

My bad. Highly recommended to hit the mute button...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
bruhhhh

That second hit was for real. Did not expect that.
It comes up fast lol.

There is another trail not in those videos, which is almost vertical; need to hold onto trees to hike down it. Vertical turning dirt trail, that falls into a wooden drop, then followed by two wooden booters... Only know one person who has ridden it.

I wish I had a good picture of the run in. I slid down it on my ass before taking this.

Well, it looks like its official. Horses have been given the boot by the local county in this one forest, on certain trails.

YAY

Found these new green signs out on the trails today.

Got home and started to read about it. It sounds like horses are no longer allowed on those trails. There is a little bit of a shit show to get there though...

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/7623016-mountain-bike-club-under-investigation-for-drinking-in-dufferin-county-forest/

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/7595292-horse-riders-want-ombudsman-to-investigate-dufferin-county-forest-decision/

I was also reading the actual by-law, and it says in plain text that horses do a lot of trail damage. Almost spit my beer out when I read that, I think thats the first time I've ever read that on anything official to do with trails. And it says that horse riders should kick the poo off the trail! LOL

https://www.dufferincounty.ca/files/content-pdf/county-forest-by-law-consolidated-june-2018.pdf
e-Horses...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How'd this get bumped?

Either way, rode these horse free trails last night. Its nice not having to dodge mountains of horse poop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Different forest, but horse related...

In other horse news, I saw some horses today on some steep single track. I wish there was some etiquette or rule that encouraged them to stick to double track or something.

And on many other trails, there is quite a bit of new damage from them. Even saw their holes going up a trail named "Copeland DH".

Hoof holes.

Hard to see as people have ridden on it, but all this loose shit is from horses.

But yeah, they'll tell you that they don't cause damage.

And there must be a relationship between where they scoop up the trail and where the sandy spots magically appear.

Let's not even mention their poop...

:rolleyes:

/endrant

In other horse news, I saw some horses today on some steep single track. I wish there was some etiquette or rule that encouraged them to stick to double track or something.

And on many other trails, there is quite a bit of new damage from them. Even saw their holes going up a trail named "Copeland DH".

Hoof holes.

Hard to see as people have ridden on it, but all this loose shit is from horses.

And there must be a relationship between where they scoop up the trail and where the sandy spots magically appear.

/endrant
We were encountering horse shit and hoof prints when we were riding yesterday...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Hoof holes.

/endrant

personally speaking, my 6" travel trailbike needs absolute baby butt smooth between roots. If there's a grain of soil out of place my manager is going to hear about it! I don't ride long travel traibikes to cruise over uneven surfaces dammit!

any horse rider without a shit bag should be turned into glue while the horse watches. With you on that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not about having to ride over divots, it's the permanent damage that they cause.

The soil there is very sandy, so if it gets disturbed it loses its ability to hold moisture and turns into pure sand.

Riding down some sweet single track and hitting a sand trap mid corner sucks.

Also no horse back rider is coming back to fix the shit they dig up on trails maintained by bike riders.

They also have no regard for muddy or new trails. At times it seems like they purposely set out to put hooves on fresh or weather sensitive trails.