Quantcast

Horses!!!

fartloud1

Chimp
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Havasu City
So this past month, an out-of-town company moved in and is now giving horseback tours on our trails. I have never seen single-track destroyed at such an exponential rate. Oh and don't mind the steaming piles of poo everywhere. Also, never mind the sign at the front gate of the park that states dog owners can be fined $2500 for not cleaning up their dog's poo. Any of you ever been involved in any type of protest of the heavy metal-footed beasts? We were supposed to have a Q&A session with our city and local BLM office on Saturday, but they cancelled that day and moved the meeting to Weds morning. I can only assume that was some BS strategery on their part. I know I've ridden other trails where hikers/bikers are allowed, but not horses. I need some solid arguments/cases. :mad:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Learn the History of the trail. What level of government initially approved it. See if you can access the plans or a older trail map. Become friends with the Land Manager. Jump through hoops to nail him/her down. Arrange for a inventory hike and point out problems and assets of the system. Make your point about the horses, but try not to be inflammatory to any other users. Around here tactics run afoul fast. Take lots of pictures, but be fair. If cyclists are cutting a corner or going off trail and building stuff, you will get called out on it. If cyclist are not an authorized user find this out now. Be patient, polite, and reasonable.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good stuff from jdcamb.

Also, look into whether they need a permit to operate these tours, and if so, if they have one. If they do, check out the requirements, limits on volume, etc., to see if they are following the rules, and go from there.

Unfortunately, as a cyclist, you need to be careful about arguments in favor of excluding other user groups. Those arguments can come back and bite you in the ass, particularly other users and the equestrians get together and start trying to deny access to bikes. That said, you might try to align with like-minded hikers who are similarly opposed to all this horsing around.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good stuff from jdcamb.

Also, look into whether they need a permit to operate these tours, and if so, if they have one. If they do, check out the requirements, limits on volume, etc., to see if they are following the rules, and go from there.

Unfortunately, as a cyclist, you need to be careful about arguments in favor of excluding other user groups. Those arguments can come back and bite you in the ass, particularly other users and the equestrians get together and start trying to deny access to bikes. That said, you might try to align with like-minded hikers who are similarly opposed to all this horsing around.
might be a good idea to take the approach that you want them to help manage the property and undo the damage they are causing. Horse diapers might also be useful.