Quantcast

Hot Hot Hot... Bonk!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Jesbus, I went on a ride at 3:00-5:00 on Sunday. Planned ride was about half climbing and half technical pedal pounding. After 45 minutes of climbing it was all over for me. I couldnt even maintain a good spin without feeling dizzy, what with the heat index putting us at 110 with absolutely no wind whatsoever.

One of the most miserable rides that Ive ever had. I'm still trying to recover. At one point I had a little washout and I didnt have the energy to recover so I just slid out and laid there for a min or two.

In 2 hours I drained my entire 100 oz of water.

No more 3:00PM 100+ degree riding for me :nope:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have noticed that even after a 1 hour ride I am feeling really tired.. at first I thought I was sick or something but I realize its just too hot out. I've been pushing for night rides more and more

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I did a half century road ride yesterday, and was dying about half way through. The roadies were doing 24mph, uphill, into a headwind, and the temp was about 100 f. I almost won a couple of sprints, but the longe sustained climb was not good...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
golgiaparatus said:
Jesbus, I went on a ride at 3:00-5:00 on Sunday. Planned ride was about half climbing and half technical pedal pounding. After 45 minutes of climbing it was all over for me. I couldnt even maintain a good spin without feeling dizzy, what with the heat index putting us at 110 with absolutely no wind whatsoever.

One of the most miserable rides that Ive ever had. I'm still trying to recover. At one point I had a little washout and I didnt have the energy to recover so I just slid out and laid there for a min or two.

In 2 hours I drained my entire 100 oz of water.

No more 3:00PM 100+ degree riding for me :nope:

I had one of those rides a few of weeks ago. It was 95 with no wind and humid as hell. I went out around noon, after some pre-hydrating. I didn't feel physically tired or anything at the start. About an hour into the ride, I started climbing a tough hill. About 2/3 way up, my body just decided it was time for a break. I had nothing. I took a 10-15 minute break. Ate a bunch of honey roasted peanuts, and drank more water, and finished the ride. Never had it happen before or again, so hopefully I just temporarily overheated. Not a pleasant experience for those 10-15 minutes. :confused:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Went out Sunday afternoon for a road ride, 5-9pm, starting out it was around 90. Bonked on the flats with 12 miles to go before I got home. Ended up stopping at a gas station for gatorade and a snickers bar....god those things are good.

Ended up finishing fine, but I was close to falling asleep on my bike before I hit up the gas station. Gotta start carrying more food on my rides. An energy drink might be a good idea too

The Ito

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I went out Saturday after noon about 2 to do a 2+ hour road ride, the heat index here in Little Rock was upward of 107 that day. I was fine until I did a long switch back climb, which when I got to the top I was pooped more than I usually am. I stayed hydrated throughout the ride and the heat didn’t aggravate me as much as the sun, if felt super intense that day – so I called it quits at an hour and 45 minutes.

Yesterday afternoon I mowed for 2 hours, heat index of 109.

Tonight I’ll probably do another road ride………………..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what about wearing a synthetic base layer with a cotton top layer and pour cold water on yourself every five minutes?

I pour water through the vents in my helmet... seems to help.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
LordOpie said:
what about wearing a synthetic base layer with a cotton top layer and pour cold water on yourself every five minutes?

I pour water through the vents in my helmet... seems to help.
If I'm carrying water, I'm drinking it.

(It really does you more good to drink it then it does to pour it over your head.)