Chimp
Jul 3, 2010
well ive gone and entered in the mega this year,

so do you guys have any hot tips for training, bike set up etc etc

cheers

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have never tried racing on any Avalanche race, but I've been riding on Alpe d'Huez Mega Avalanche track/trail.
What I can tell you, is that for sure you need lots of endurance for such kind of race. It is crucial that you get in front of the pack/peleton the the start. Otherwise, you won't be able to pass many riders, as Avalanche tracks are rather singletracks, then open wide hills.
At mega, you've got several qualifying tuns on ca. 20k trail. AFAIR 50 riders from 200 ppl run advances to the finals (which means riding with prequalified PROs). So, it's not that easy.
As for the bike. If your skills are good/very good, 160/160mm AM bike is perfect. Coz there are a lot of pedaling, even up the hill.
If you are not sure about your skills, light DH bike will be fine, too.
For sure, both must be equipped with adjustable seatpost.

Good luck!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
train, train and then train some more. Ive done it twice and it doesn't get any harder. Technically its not too bad but if you get stuck with slower riders your going to be walking the trickier parts anyway. The qualifier is probably the best bit. Its a more technical track and shorter so u push it a bit more. Although try not to let the red mist get the better of you when the tape gets lifted as the last time I did it I was involved in 3 pile ups within the first 3 corners and lost alot of time and places. Bring some sort of light warm jacket that you can put into ur hydration pack. It gets fierce cold hanging round on the top waiting for the start, or better yet one of those space blanket things would be pretty good too. As for the bike something 150/160mm a 1 x10 setup would be the job for simplicity but youd want to be pretty strong to get the most out of it. A remote dropper post is a must although i know plenty who have done very well without one. It really depends on how good a rider you are and how fit you are. But most will benefit from one.