Quantcast

Hot Metal

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The finish is raw, just plain raw. :)

I had initially planned on putting color on it, but the welds and haz looked so cool, it stayed raw. I considered clearcoat, but it looks good for a while until you get little spots of corrosion underneath.

I have a couple different waxes on it now to give it some protection. I have to make sure it is dried off before I put it away if its wet out. I frame savered the inside of the tubes.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Frank always has cool projects going on, whether its bikes, custom parts for his VW hill climber, or top secret projects like this. ;) He stays busy, thats for sure.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
great looking ride. reminds me a bit of EWR from the old days.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
great looking ride. reminds me a bit of EWR from the old days.
"Old days" ? Or, NEW days as well? :cheers:

A similarity is obvious per the downtube and seat tube to downtube bracing. But, if I had to say, it looks like a Jones and an EWR OWB got together for a night of sweet, sweet, luvin'! :biggrin:

The compact, low rear triangle, and the twin TT design...

One can make those observations all day long but the fact of the matter is....This is one unique bike that addresses a LOT of the things that folks like myself (I'm 5' 7" with a super short inseam of like, 28-29") never liked about frames with big wheels. I ride a size Small EWR 26" to give you a perspective.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
"Old days" ? Or, NEW days as well? :cheers:

A similarity is obvious per the downtube and seat tube to downtube bracing. But, if I had to say, it looks like a Jones and an EWR OWB got together for a night of sweet, sweet, luvin'! :biggrin:

The compact, low rear triangle, and the twin TT design...

One can make those observations all day long but the fact of the matter is....This is one unique bike that addresses a LOT of the things that folks like myself (I'm 5' 7" with a super short inseam of like, 28-29") never liked about frames with big wheels. I ride a size Small EWR 26" to give you a perspective.
Plus add some Mussel for east coast hardcoreness ... and you have a winning combination! :biggrin:

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I thought that you were going to keep that thing a secret forever. Nice to see some pictures posted up.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Most excellent thread. What's a Hope Power Clamp? Looks like some dealeo that's mounted by the banjo fitting.
The two piece Hope mini calipers would flex a little at the top. The clamp goes around that part of the caliper to keep them from flexing (see photos).
Most two piece calipers tend to flex some.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I never saw your geometry for this build....so let's have it! :)
We began with the geometry for a Simon Bar as a reference and started changing things till it was juuust right for my riding style. We didn't start with numbers set in concrete, just ideas. I can say riding technical trails with it is like hitting the "easy button".

SyT

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
That is a seriously beautiful machine, love the way the raw finish looks with that frame design.
That's some seriously wacky handlebar angle, but to each his own...

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
That is a seriously beautiful machine, love the way the raw finish looks with that frame design.
That's some seriously wacky handlebar angle, but to each his own...
Thanks!
The bar angle really isn't that weird on a 29r. The bars are Salsa with an 11° bend. I tilt the bars forward some so that the sweep of the bars also becomes rise. They feel like a riser bar, just without the extra height of one.