Quantcast

Hot Rod Update!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Well, my hot rod project has been at a stand still for a couple months. Vacation, dirt bike season, an just life in general put things on hold for awhile. The last couple weeks though have yielded some progress. Early progress, but progress none the less!

THE CLEAN UP:
The '51 Buick was stripped of everything inside. Seats pulled, all the upholstery, headliner, door panels, dash, instruments, EVERYTHING!! I was concerned I was going to get hanta virus after this little part of the project. She had been living in a field for years and then next to the tracks under a tree. That sucker was a vermin motel!! Nothing alive of course, buy they built condos! The trunk was full of hazelnut shells, and old parts, including a second complete hood ornament and the missing right side hood pull! Score.

We spent a lot of time tagging, labeling, boxing and categorized all the parts so it's easier to put all back together later.

Once we got all the seats out we could assess the pans. Holy hell! And I mean HOLEY! There are three major rotted out sections in the floor pan, rear right foot well and seat area, right front foot well, and left side midsection. The Trunk is in need of some patching as well. Once we blast it and get ride of the bad metal, she may look like a cheese grater! But, we've decided to patch in new floor pans where needed and do a fiberglass coat to the whole bottom to strengthen it.

We also discovered that my little car had been in a couple fender benders. One we knew about as the right rear is still pushed in. The second was also on the right rear hand side but involved the door as we found some evidence of bondo work. No big, the car needs so much metal work, what's a little bondo clean up right?

THE MOVE:
So, we get her all cleaned up and need to move her to our storage unit for awhile to do the next big project, strip down the donor car. We decided to tow bar the '51 the mile or two to your unit. Well, what we didn't account for is there is something wildly wrong with the steering on our car. We pulled out on to the street, the front wheels do about 4 quick side to sides and then dive into the frame and lock up. When this happens the suspension unloads in the rear and jacks one side of the body way up in the air! I'm following this in our truck and the first thing I think of is not, "OMG we're going to kill someone," but "Oh crap I hope the rest of the good glass is still good after that kind of torque to the body!!" I have my priorities straight. I promise.

So, long story short, this baby is not going to flat tow. So, we drop her off on the street in front of some old ladies house, go procure a flatbed trailer and load her up. The problem is she's so huge, she barely fits, in either direction! With mm to spare we get her loaded and to the storage unit. After lots of pushing and discomfort, she was settled.

Man we put on a good show. I take pride in making my neighbors jaws drop.

THE DONOR CAR:
We figured out that by the time we bought all the parts for the "modernizations" we want to do (including engine, tranny, disc brake, suspension, axles, airbags, ect) it would be cheaper to just buy a whole car and scrap what we don't use. So for some months I have been the not so proud owner of a 1991 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. Why this car you ask? Well, how cool is it that the donor for my '51 Buick Roadmaster is a '91 Buick Roadmaster? Cool I say. And, it's almost the only car big enough to the match up to my '51. Eighteen feet is a long ways!

So, the "Wagonmaster" as it was dubbed has been strategically hidden amongst a row of s*hit cars outside of a crappy college apartment complex. Perfect cover. It sits in the same place for 4 months and doesn't get tagged for ticket or towing. Considering it's sitting next to a giant camo painted high rise 70's truck it actually isn't that much of an eyesore.

Once we got the '51 in storage, we brought the '91 to the house and started sawing. We removed the entire wiring harness, cut off any recyclable metal, and lifted the frame off the body for recycling as well. We kept the engine and tranny in place on the rolling chassis as well as the engine compartment wiring harness. We fished the remaining parts of the wiring harness we wanted through the fire wall and ta-da...we have a rolling chassis minus the god awful looking car that used to be on top of it! Score.

We borrowed my hubbies bosses fork lift and popped the body off the frame and loaded it up. Today the body and all the salvaged metal are going to the recycler and we estimate about $200 is scrap value will be had. Not bad I say!

Now, the new frame has to be chopped, and modified to fit my old body. This will most likely have to wait for a couple more months as the project has to be put on hold again as we are remodeling out kitchen this summer. So, come fall I will have a lot of work to and more updates!

I heart my '51 Buick.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm at work so don't have my pics...but I just had to share! I think I'm going to start either a photobucket of the project, or a blog to update with photo albums. That could be kinda fun!

Oh, and when my poor baby was rolling down the street with her arse precariously jacked in the air I didn't think to stop and take a picture. I was too worried about my rear window glass!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pics!

A shop in Arizona just finished a Expedition IRS rear end install on a Merc. Home made control arms and Shockwave air bags mounted on a custom chassis. Nathan does sick work.

<edit> I wish I had a CNC plasma. The front end is all out of a C4 Vette.

Last edited:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Why the fiberglass?
Old cars from that era had their entire floor pans covered in this nasty adhesive tar backed stuff. This stuff actually accelerates floor rot because water that gets in (as it always does when these cars sit around for years) can't go anywhere and actually is absorbed by this material. Most of these cars also didn't have good floor drains.

So, when you strip the floor, your left with obvious good spots (if your lucky) and obvious bad spots. You sand blast the entire floor to remove any active rust and bad metal. Your also left with areas that are much thinner or areas that are borderline, and most likely lots of really small holes. The thinner areas and small holes are the most difficult to deal with.

One approach is to cut out the entire bottom of the car and replace the entire pan. This costs big $$ and is a huge undertaking. That is what you would do if you were doing a full classic restoration and wanted everything to look original.

Another option that is a little more crafty and more appropriate for a rat rod or custom on a budget is to do the same stripping/sand blasting process. Fab panels to fit the bigger holes, reinforce weak spots and then float the entire floor pan with fiberglass to strengthen thin spots or areas with pin holes. A lot cheaper, still strong enough because everything significant or structural has been replaced with metal, and you get a really nice end result since smoothing and leveling fiberglass is pretty easy.

This is also a good way to go if you have to change the floor pan to fit a different frame as we are doing.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
i s'pose.

Everyone has their own approach. When I redid the floor in my Camaro, I bought new OEM floor pans. The were some gaps from the car to the new pans. I just fabricated parts I needed from sheet metal and welded them in with the new pans.

Whatever works....

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
i s'pose.

Everyone has their own approach. When I redid the floor in my Camaro, I bought new OEM floor pans. The were some gaps from the car to the new pans. I just fabricated parts I needed from sheet metal and welded them in with the new pans.

Whatever works....
Because of the rarity of the car and it's shear size, OEM floor pans or having a whole new floor fabricated are well beyond budget. And like I said, any significant section of damaged metal will be replaced but there are going to be small areas here and there in inconsequential places that glass will work just fine on.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh no doubt. floorpans for a '68 camaro are not hard to come by. Easier that yours for sure. Mine weren't cheap, but they weren't TOO bad.

Of course you do whatever works for you. And I believe you've said you're building a "driver" not a show car.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh no doubt. floorpans for a '68 camaro are not hard to come by. Easier that yours for sure. Mine weren't cheap, but they weren't TOO bad.
When we started a friends '72 Camaro project, he paid $50 for a business license and became a Goodmark dealer. Once we replaced the floor, radiator support, inner fenders, one outer fender and both quarters, he had saved about $800 off retail.

So far we have used his dealer number for 3 truck projects.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they make much for the Merc yet. Last year was the first year of the complete floor for the 67-72 Chevy truck.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
And I believe you've said you're building a "driver" not a show car.
Driver for sure! No diaper rubbing for my car. Given we live in Oregon, it will most likely only be a driver late spring-early fall and spend it's days in a garage during the winter.

My darling Buick, I'm just too excited!