Quantcast

Hotwings for #CBJ

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Chicken wings. I buy them whole and disjoint them myself. Rinse and dry them off. If I buy them at the meat market I try to pick pieces that still have the skin on them. I take 12 flats and 12 drummys and put them in unseasoned rice flour. Shake them off as best as you can. You can skip this step.

In your dutch oven fill it 1/2 way with peanut oil or goldeneeze frying oil if you can get it. Goldeneeze can be made by adding 1 lb of beef lard to a liter of corn oil. Heat it up and let it cool before use.
Heat up your oil to 375f or medium high on your stove. Hot oil will shimmer when ready. Do not let it smoke if you use Goldeneeze.

Throw the chicken in. 12 pieces at a time. They will brown when they get close. About 7 minutes. Pull those wings and set them aside on a wire rack. Not paper towels.

Add the remaining wings to the hot oil. They will take longer as the oil is probably now dirty. When they brown. Pull them out and add the first batch into the hot oil, 7 minutes again. Pull them out and set them aside. Add the second batch back into the hot oil. 7 minutes again. Sprinkle with red pepper and paprika before you double dip them to make them Nashville style. 1/2 tbs of each will go far and season both batches.

The sauce is super simple. 1 5oz bottle of franks and 1 stick of butter melted into the sauce. Throw the done chicken in the sauce in a bowl and coat those bad boys up. It has to be Franks. It has the right balance. Tabasco is too vinegary for my tastes. Hoison (2tbs), honey (1/4cup), and soy sauce (3tbs) mixed with a (1/2 tbs) 5 spice is good also.

Serve with blue cheese and carrots. Celery is nasty Pickles also go well with hotwings.

A flat with the skin on and properly sauced...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My mouth is watering already.

A friend of mine had a deep fryer he kept outside as it so messy. I might do that when I get to Denmark.

These bad boys served with some cold beer will make me the King of Copenhagen.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can't wait to try this one- especially since I've never deep fried them! I've tried a few ways baking them, even grilling them, but it's never as good as was when they're fried.
Thanks for the recipes @jdcamb I really enjoy them.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
No doubt wings needs to be deep fried.

If you want to get fancy you can la poêle (french method for pan frying) some pounded down breasts or cleaned thighs and finish them in the above sauce. Since you can't pound a bone in piece of chicken it can only be utilized with boneless chicken.... This method can also be utilized with Bavette or any loin meat. Cooking sherry in the sauce adds a cool dimension to the sauce also.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not sure why anyone would put something other than Frank's an butter on wings. Was turned off by wings for the past few decades until I was reintroduced to the original recently. I blame it on hanging out with southerners.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a deep fryer is the way to go for sure.

however, lately in an attempt to eat healthier i've been on a quest for excellent non-fried wings. so far the closest i've gotten is tossing the wings in corn starch and doing them under the broiler. very close but not quite, and also takes 45 minutes vs 10-13 minutes in the fryer.

while i like OG franks wings, i'm also partial to a mixture of franks and bbq sauce. a few places around here make whats called bee sting wings that are excellent.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
a deep fryer is the way to go for sure.

however, lately in an attempt to eat healthier i've been on a quest for excellent non-fried wings. so far the closest i've gotten is tossing the wings in corn starch and doing them under the broiler. very close but not quite, and also takes 45 minutes vs 10-13 minutes in the fryer.

while i like OG franks wings, i'm also partial to a mixture of franks and bbq sauce. a few places around here make whats called bee sting wings that are excellent.
Bee sting sauce....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Celery is nasty
:stupid:

Are wings down in the states as crazy as up here? There are way too many wing places up here.

I like the alternative flavours over the traditional franks and butter style. There is one pub that we frequent after the Wednesday night ride, which serves a dry rub of maple bacon. Its the only dry rub I've ever enjoyed.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made these today. I served them with a bunch of Chatucerie I bought in Canada and some fried onions quarters. I made a lime Crema for the onions and it also went well with the wings. My folks wanted them very hot and I obliged. This skinny little girl ate 2 dozen of my wings. Her mom ate a bowl of blue cheese dip with a spoon.

#Westy

I don't like to cook with weed. Every once in a while I am asked to. I am very careful with alcohol also. Unless you are a experienced user of consumables you shouldn't fuck around with eating weed. I myself prefer to smoke then consume. Weed butter is for rich folks who need to impress others. it neither provides the effect I want or tastes good... Vinegar in franks breaks down the cannabinoids also... That whole astringent to oil craziness... I cold smoked some trout and finished them in weed butter and finely chopped fennel and shallots in a pan. I thought it came out good but the customer never called me back or paid me....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Use boneless tenders simplifies this recipe. I don't need bones. Plus I pounded out the breasts and then cut them into tenders. They were super tender. I wrapped a few in skin and would omit that the next time as the oil seeps behind the skin and made them greasy.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Made some hot ones. I have more. Ready to go. May grill them instead. 2 bags of charcoal and some smokey's on hand....