Quantcast

House buying - money pit or good idea

Buy a house (details in OP)?

• Total voters

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
new house builds are way down due to the drought, which has helped push used home prices north. the only way to buy here and not be utterly fucked down the road is to buy a older architect designed home. They have high demand, low volume and havent really been beat down.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Even at the bottom of the slump here, decently nice houses in good areas were in demand. Don't know as much about LA area, but you wouldn't lose money buying somewhere (decent) in OC right now if you planned to stay for at least 5-10 years. I usually keep up on the market around here.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Maybe your reading comprehension is a bit off. 200K down on 500K at 3.9% nets a payment pre taxes of $1990.

Or, exactly what I said. but cool story bro. Throw 200K into the wind, when the market collapses I'll snatch your place from the bank for sub-300K :banana:
My math still says 20% down on a $500k house is $100k, leaving a $400k mortgage. At 4% interest, it's about a $2k mortgage payment (exclusive of tax). I'm no accountant, except for the part where I am. Sober up and reread.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
IMO, as long as you can hang tough through inevitable market cycles, big city real estate is a still a good long-term investment.

If you get something comfortably within your monthly ability to pay, and keep some cash in reserve for inevitable repairs, you can handle a bust/downturn in the market. Lots of people kept their homes despite being under water during the last bust. Most are now well in the money.

But yeah, only you can decide if it works for you and your lifestyle. And the buying process during a bubble can't be much fun.

I bought a place in SF in early 2011. It's worked out great so far. (Fingers crossed.)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Still, my friends' repair and renovation stories make me a part time alcoholic.
As a contractor in MA and full time alcoholic, you can rest assured the code updates only apply to the immediate work zone. It's eye watering regardless.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
We are in a somewhat similar position. Looking at AF retirement in the next year or so, thinking of buying in the Colorado Springs area...but worry about being geographically and financially locked down should a decent overseas job come calling. Dont need the hook thing, but a bong shed would be nice.

Have enough equity to buy outright...need to find the right deal tho.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The rent (market rate) on my loft is way more then the mortgage. I have 2 deeded parking spots and adjacent storage also. I must say. It was all accidental. I just got lucky and stumbled into the good life.

However I live in Rochester NY. The Murder capital of NY. Crime is really bad in the city here...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We are in a somewhat similar position. Looking at AF retirement in the next year or so, thinking of buying in the Colorado Springs area...but worry about being geographically and financially locked down should a decent overseas job come calling. Dont need the hook thing, but a bong shed would be nice.

Have enough equity to buy outright...need to find the right deal tho.
Homes are still relatively affordable here.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As a contractor in MA and full time alcoholic, you can rest assured the code updates only apply to the immediate work zone. It's eye watering regardless.
it always costs more to unfuck something....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With your spinal cord situation are you able to do any home repair or work? Sweat equity can make a house more financially feasible. Having to pay someone to clean out a blocked dryer vent does not.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
With your spinal cord situation are you able to do any home repair or work? Sweat equity can make a house more financially feasible. Having to pay someone to clean out a blocked dryer vent does not.
I can do some but probably not tons. The landlord factor is worth a bunch of cash.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can do some but probably not tons. The landlord factor is worth a bunch of cash.
Get a helper monkey. Not to repair the house but to chew off the neighbors faces. One of the biggest issues with owning in realizing you will be surrounded by those same assholes long term.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Get a helper monkey. Not to repair the house but to chew off the neighbors faces. One of the biggest issues with owning in realizing you will be surrounded by those same assholes long term.
Agreed. Grumpy old guy on the neighbor porch didn't seem like a misfits fan. Current landlord and neighbors tolerate a lot. I mean a lot.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Supposedly the upper half of the big M doesn't suck.
you invalidated your own argument when you said "michigan". the midwest sucks.
Michigan is in the great lakes region not the widwest (at least in my book).

I'll be here next weekend, this won't suck. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/marguette-michigan-trail-fest-2015.html

I'll be here the following weekend. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Andrew-Shandro-Trek-Bikes-visit-Copper-Harbor-Michigan-2012.html

Not that it matters for a single guy, but we live in a decent school district, we have super low crime, and I'm surrounded by 200+ miles of single track that is perfect for after work riding. And a pretty standard 5-10 hour drive from both east coast, Canada, mid atlantic, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not arguing the actual reality of what region the state is in, I'm just saying that michigan is a fair amount different than most of the midwest due to being surrounded by the lakes and having a much different landscape than Illinois/indiana/iowa/kansas etc and vast flat farmlands as far as the eye can see.
still a "flyover state"

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Wyoming is the suck except for the overpriced area surrounding Grand Teton.