Quantcast

House question

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm in the process of trying to get new carpeting installed.

I had a local company come out and give me an estimate. This is for 3 rooms, 2 closets and a hallway, about 800 square feet. The total cost with padding was $2700.

Is this high? I really have no idea, I've never done this before, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable contractor monkeys here.

Thanks!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yes that's pretty high if you ask me....my neighbor had their entire house done (1400 square feet) for 2 grand...but it can really depend on the quality and type of carpet you want...D

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i figure a good quality basic carpet is going to run you about $28-$30/yd installed which is right where your estimate is at.

800_sf / 9_sf/yd x $30/yd = $2,666.67

plus sales tax

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Always get at least 3 estimates to see if there is a ballpark. Home Depot is a good start, at least to get an idea of cost.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
$2700 is with tax fyi.

This is also with me moving all the furniture and removing the old carpeting/padding.

I'm not sure...I have a month to decide really if I want to go through with it. I will probably get a few more estimates.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
$2700 is with tax fyi.

This is also with me moving all the furniture and removing the old carpeting/padding.

I'm not sure...I have a month to decide really if I want to go through with it. I will probably get a few more estimates.
that's an ok price.. with carpet, you do get what you pay for so beware of cheap prices

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
that's an ok price.. with carpet, you do get what you pay for so beware of cheap prices
That's the thing.
I want something that will last at least 5 years. I'm also concerned about cheaping out on the labor and having them screw it up.

15 year warranty comes with the install, through the company, not the manufacturer (Express Flooring is the company btw).

Lowes charges for in-home estimates, something they did for free. Could I take the measurements into Home Depot or Lowes to get an estimate?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
That's another thing.
This company will do it on the day I choose.
Beware of companies who's schedules are really open. At least around my area it means they suck and nobody wants them to work on their house.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Beware of companies who's schedules are really open. At least around my area it means they suck and nobody wants them to work on their house.
That's a good point.

This company's big thing is "next day installation". There is another company in town that has the same deal. I think that's how they compete with the prices from Lowes and Home Depot.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
You have to put in carpet? I have done quite a few hardwood floors and they are pretty easy to put down your self.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
That's the thing.
I want something that will last at least 5 years. I'm also concerned about cheaping out on the labor and having them screw it up.

15 year warranty comes with the install, through the company, not the manufacturer (Express Flooring is the company btw).

Lowes charges for in-home estimates, something they did for free. Could I take the measurements into Home Depot or Lowes to get an estimate?
I would just hit ip the phone book and get everyone who does free estimates. I would even try and schedule them at the same time so they can see the competition is in the hunt as well....D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
You have to put in carpet? I have done quite a few hardwood floors and they are pretty easy to put down your self.
I don't have to put in carpet, but it just seems like the cheapest route to go.

I don't trust myself to install anything. I'm just not good at that stuff.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would just hit ip the phone book and get everyone who does free estimates. I would even try and schedule them at the same time so they can see the competition is in the hunt as well....D
That's where written estimates are handy. Samples can be even better.

You normally won't see a huge difference in materials cost, but there might be a large fluctuation in labor. Unless someone says they are using quality padding and cheap out when you aren't looking.