Quantcast

house selling and buying take two

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well we just got back from our Realtors office. We received an asking price offer on our home and signed a counter offer ( modification of closing and inspection time frames). Tomorrow afternoon we head out with the agent we previously worked with to go look at homes in the Livermore Pleasanton area. Should cut 45 minutes out of my commute moving there and if I get lucky I will be within riding distance of work.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Normally it's not good to sell before you buy, but the way the market is now that was probably a pretty safe call. The hardest part is over though! Now all you have left is to pick up a great house for well below market value! Congrats!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
When I bought my current house I bought it before it was built. I signed the P&S in the spring and the house was going to be done at the end of October. So I put my current house on the market thinking I could take all summer to sell it. After two days on the market I got 3 tours and 2 offers. I got full asking price and moved out a month later. I rented an apartment for the summer until the new house was done.

Personally, I think this worked out perfectly. I didn't have to worry about moving out and in at the same time or storage (I used the bedroom for storage (good thing it had 16' ceilings) and slept in the raised dining area). And there was a couple weeks of overlap between when my lease was up and the closing so I had time to prep the house (blinds, curtains, bath acc. etc.) and move much of the smaller stuff in my car (it was only 2mi from the apt).

OB1

Monkey
Having bought a year ago I like to take this as a sign the market is starting to inch up, but it's probably wishful thinking.
I'm a Realtor in San Diego. I think you're right. I've closed over 20 deals in the last year. Although most have been investors fighting for scraps....the offers have had to creep up. Demand is up. I hope the prices stay fairly flat for awhile though. There is a ton of inventory to cycle through. So there won't be any spike in prices IMO. In 2006 homes were over valued. In 2012 homes are under valued. It's a buyers market....still bad for sellers. Good thing I specialize in short sales, REO's, etc. Business is great for me! :D:p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm a Realtor in San Diego. I think you're right. I've closed over 20 deals in the last year. Although most have been investors fighting for scraps....the offers have had to creep up. Demand is up. I hope the prices stay fairly flat for awhile though. There is a ton of inventory to cycle through. So there won't be any spike in prices IMO. In 2006 homes were over valued. In 2012 homes are under valued. It's a buyers market....still bad for sellers. Good thing I specialize in short sales, REO's, etc. Business is great for me! :D:p
Sounds good to me! I'm in SF and bought on a short sale.