Quantcast

How about an 05' DHR review?

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Lets have it. I wanna here some good and bad about this years Turner DH rig. Thinking about getting one, and I know every speeded out metal-head and their sister has a new one...so lets have some dirt on those chasis!

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Has anyone hit the DHX remote res. with a foot or ankle yet?

I've looked at a couple 05' DHR's and that res. just doesn't look like it has much clearance.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is plenty of res clearance. If you were worried about it, the res could be moved under the shock so it would be inside the frame. I might do this once I get the shock dialed and I don't need access to the adjustments any more.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
buildyourown said:
There is plenty of res clearance. If you were worried about it, the res could be moved under the shock so it would be inside the frame. I might do this once I get the shock dialed and I don't need access to the adjustments any more.
Have you ridden/owned a DHR with a Romic before? I've got the 04' with a Romic and was wondering if the DHX is a big improvement or not?

Those red DHR's with Fox 40's looked dope in PA.....

two1 said:
Lets have it. I wanna here some good and bad about this years Turner DH rig. Thinking about getting one, and I know every speeded out metal-head and their sister has a new one...so lets have some dirt on those chasis!
Have you already talked to Bart about it? Is that why you're asking?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Stickler said:
Have you ridden/owned a DHR with a Romic before? I've got the 04' with a Romic and was wondering if the DHX is a big improvement or not?

Those red DHR's with Fox 40's looked dope in PA.....
I have one of those red DHRs with a 40 on it. It isn't built yet so I can't comment on the DHX. I have ridden an '04 with a Romic.
Shock choice is somewhat personal. A dialed Romic can be incredible. However, with limited user adjustments, getting a dialed shock means sending you shock back in for tuning multiply times usually during the height of the season. Durability is also an issue. I've seen some romics that just keep going and I've seen brand new ones straight from the Romic tent that can't last thru a weekend. The DHX is still somewhat unproven but I was always happy with my vanilla RC. I also like a very active shock vs. platform shocks. I was very dissappointed in the 5e that I had on my last bike.

As soon as we get some real ride time on these bikes, we'll post a review.

Nick tried moving his, he hit his ankle a couple of times, but from what he said you can just adjust a bit. The resivour wont move under or in front of the shock. But it juust takes some getting used to. ( I think) btu I rode his around a lil bit and felt way better than my 04' with a romic. The fox is a HUGE improvment ( sorry Romic) and the 40 is buttery!!

two1 said:

thought you were coming out to PA with your big cousins bike?? I was there with the same kinda rig...NO SHOoWER!! So where were you?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive had one day on it. Not 100% dialed yet, but i can tell i like the DHX alot (ive had some time on the DHX with my 5-spot). I had good luck with my romic, only having an annoying noise inside mine that i got fixed in the off season. I may need a tad stiffer spring than the 450 i got with the frame, but i want to ride it again to be sure. On the spot i was able to drop 100lbs off the spring.... part of that being thet the romic was prolly 50lbs too heavy for me. Last year i ran a 550 on the dhr/romic and think a 500 may be just right. I never had any issues with the resivor and honestly never thought of it while riding. I did hear nick had hit it, but maybe thats his whack style.... :) My only real concern would actually be hooking a shoelace on the air valve cap.... that could lead to trouble. If BYO can mount the thing under the shock, then maybe i'll give it a try just to be 100% sure its never going to be an issue.

As far as the ride went? The frame felt comfortable, but i could tell a difference in length over the 7" boxxer. the dh40 rakes the bike a touch. In tight stuff i may feel it, but im sure ill adapt. The fork was simply amazing. I was taking stuff alot faster than i could with the boxxer. The boxxer worked great for me, but still tended to spike on occasion. I never felt the 40 spike. It was butter smoof over everything. The only problem for me out of the box may be my weight exceeds the stock 210 lb of the green upgrade. Im waiting the yellow springs. The fork did bottom on some G-outs, but it wasnt the standard metal clank that say a shiver would give you. This may be their internal bottom out control. Also, i didnt really spend any time tweaking the high/low compression, next time.....

Like BYO said once theres more time in on the bikes im sure there will be more feedback. You couldnt go wrong with an 04 or 05..... plus fox is selling DHX's as aftermarkets for DHR's if you really dislike the romic. go to www.turnerbikes.com for more.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
SR said:
Oly's going to be writing reviews for mountain bike action in no time
If that was true, my review would have started like this...

First this bike is too heavy for climbing up a hill, and after changing the tires, seat, bars, grips, brakes, ect, then the bike was ready to test......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
oly said:

First this bike is too heavy for climbing up a hill, and after changing the tires, seat, bars, grips, brakes, ect, then the bike was ready to test......
Silly, all you had to do was trim your toenails and you would have been able to climb better.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
oly said:

Unless Turner advertises in MBA, in which case it would be more like:
"This bike is awsome, blah, blah, blah. One of the best black diamond bikes we've ever ridden, blah, blah, blah....."

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Thanks for the input, I was actually curious about bearing life and rear-end slop, and if the 20mm drop-outs are a pain in the arse on wheel removal with 20 to 12mm reducers and all. I think the 04's and 05's are the same except the shock...right? I probably should have asked for an 04-05 review! oh well.

two1 said:
I was actually curious about bearing life and rear-end slop
The pivots and bearings on the bike are SOLID - no wear/tear really. The slop that most people experience on the '04 frame was due to the DU bushing play and the TopHat spacers on the Romic wearing out. For the '05, we'll just have to see how the Fox DHX holds up in that area.

two1 said:
if the 20mm drop-outs are a pain in the arse on wheel removal with 20 to 12mm reducers and all
Wheel removal is super-easy. The 20mm adapter/12mm Axle combo is made by Hadley so it's quality. Really, at the end of the day, it's easier to put on/take off than most 12mm axles - the rear axle changeout on the DHR just requires an Allen wrench.

two1 said:
I think the 04's and 05's are the same except the shock...right?
No geometry changes were made to the frame - the difference between the HT-Angles in the catalog(s) is because the '04 frame is spec'd w/ a 7" fork while the '05 frame is spec'd w/ a 8" fork. There's some minor changes around the main pivot shell (Oly can provide the pictures that show this) and ofcourse, there's the Fox DHX that's new for the '05 DHR.

Also, there's been quite a bit of e-speculation/rumor about aftermarket links by Push Industries to give DHR owners the option of changing up the geometry a bit (slacken the HT-Angle) without lowering the BB too much.

Hope that helps.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
two1 said:
Thanks for the input, I was actually curious about bearing life and rear-end slop, and if the 20mm drop-outs are a pain in the arse on wheel removal with 20 to 12mm reducers and all. I think the 04's and 05's are the same except the shock...right? I probably should have asked for an 04-05 review! oh well.

bearing life/rear end slop:
main pivot bearings are big, but the OD/ID difference is small meaning a smaller ball inside the bearing. Turner sent me a set for replacement when i called and said my bike felt flexy. Im not sure if it was a problem or not. In the end i made more of a messs of the front tri with too much green loctite, and also stripping out the axle nut. Opps....

link needle bearings are not flexy, but if you dont grease them well and take apart often to really get them lubed (zirks only get so much in) they will wear causing a slight up and down knock. The thrust washers that take up the side to side play are something that are real cheap to replace, if not free. I replaced mine a couple times. They wear more in bad conditions.

04 romic eyelet bushings did cause the most play in the bike. The shock body i think was oversized. I could pull the spacers by hand. having cheesy alu spacers also tore into the DU bushing material. This ended up making a new du last a few runs at whistler.... I corrected mine by making a solid pin rather than 2 piece spacer. Romic also made a solid polished steel pin, so if you have an 04 you might be able to get a fix on the lower eyelet. I have one day on the fox, so tome will tell if this will be a non issue for 05.

Rear wheel removal: Not an issue. The 20mm spacers you put in once, install axle and tighten the end bolts. I never once touched them once the bike was built. Then to remove the wheel you just remove the axle with an 8mm allen. It may take a few times to learn how the wheel/axle goes in easiest, but its not bad at all.

As far as other changes for 05, basically they put on the fox, and assumed eveyone would run 8" forks so they updated the HT angle to be 66 rather than 67. I notice with the 8" fox the bike feels longer. I dont think turner updated the BB height, and wheelbase for the 8" fork. Also the BB/pivot area is beef'd up. If you search the DH forum for the SEI team bike thread i posted pics of 04 vs 05.

Get one. You wont regret it!

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Thanks oly!!

That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. You really do write a good review!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
two1 said:
Thanks oly!!

That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. You really do write a good review!!

No prob, its part of the job ;) When you call casey tell him i swayed the purchase so i can get my comission.... KIDDING, but that would be a nice perk....