Quantcast

How an Enve rim changed my life.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
No disrespect, I didnt read too much and not sure if its all rim stuff or how cool dh is (cant deny that). Anyways everyone sure can spend money how they choose to and it drives the technology to improve so thats great.
To me wheels are like sneakers and I cant justify spending more than I have to. I just picked up a set of old havocs from jenson for 300 bucks and hope i can have the self control to keep them just as race wheels and not use them all the time. That was a big spender move for me and with brand new tires on them of I just use them for sundays they should last a while. At that price i am sure you use them the same way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
regarding the topic of crabon willz - and i know i've stated this before - i picked up a set of wang chungs from another RM member just to see what all the fuss was about. they're in use on my xc hardtail. even with a QR fork, they feel stiffer than aluminum wheels i have that are 20mm thru axle. the lighter weight is just icing on the cake.

[edit] point is, i can understand why some people will drop serious change on a set of proper crabon willz[/edit]

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
who me? ultimately yea. but i just bought a house so i'm lacing up some old dee trak rims to a set of hadleys in the mean time.
Not you. Was just trolling Scary.

At the moment I have zero carbonz on my bikes... same reason. Bought small house, now trying to add on so it is a normal sized house. Luckily I got 99 problems but having fun on my bike ain't one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not you. Was just trolling Scary.

At the moment I have zero carbonz on my bikes... same reason. Bought small house, now trying to add on so it is a normal sized house. Luckily I got 99 problems but having fun on my bike ain't one.
i hear ya. at this point i'm glad i'm getting saddle time. i figure by the time i can afford enve wheels i'll be about due for a whole new bike to begin with. and by that point the industry will have rolled out the next generation of standards.

SCARY

Not long enough
Yeah, ill just throw them on the trail bike. Theres three left, so I can break 2 more before I throw a fit.

14 minutes x 3= 42

So, if im lucky ill get an hour out of them all.

Steve Peat did an entire seasons race runs on the same set, you know.......uh huh.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, ill just throw them on the trail bike. Theres three left, so I can break 2 more before I throw a fit.

14 minutes x 3= 42

So, if im lucky ill get an hour out of them all.

Steve Peat did an entire seasons race runs on the same set, you know.......uh huh.
Well there's your problem right there. You could race world cups if you were less of a hack. Boom. Mid life crisis solved.

SCARY

Not long enough
Year or so.Got to a 5.11b .But disliked setting and buying chocks and waiting for people.I just liked climbing.
So I started top roping then free soloing.Then I had 2 close calls, soloing.I just had my first son and decided to do something safer? Like DH.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Year or so.Got to a 5.11b .But disliked setting and buying chocks and waiting for people.I just liked climbing.
So I started top roping then free soloing.Then I had 2 close calls, soloing.I just had my first son and decided to do something safer? Like DH.
LOL fvck soloing. No Alex Honnolds here. I boulder more, and at times it sucks coz if I hurt myself riding I cant climb. Good thing theres not much climbing in the summer, so more riding :D

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
"You've got serious thrill issues dude."

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I guess sometimes it takes a $2500 wheelset for you to take a step back and reflect on priorities.

Imo, these evne wheels don't seem like they're worth the trouble.
you know i'm kinda with ya dump, and i have been known to buy some very high end crap. my next set of wheels is going to be a set of the Chinese carbons, lots of guys around here have them with great success...i know i know...this really isnt a rim thread.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Too Long Didn't Read.

And I call horse**** on that warranty. If its cracks that fast from a standard impact, then its either poorly built or its a **** design. I don't think the design is ****, based on all the feedback. I say try it anyways, and see if they perhaps missed a layer or something in layup. Who knows right?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Can't hurt to ask about a replacement. The DH rims went through some changes and earlier issues were supposedly sorted. Any chance you got an older one that had been sitting around for a while?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
my time justified spending on new hardware parts and call it as a start of new life episode in riding and it just repeats over and over. Honestly we all should spend money on mtb COACHING.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
RM bawwwwww thread? How did I miss this?

I wish I had something to complain about but I rode my bike last night and made arrangements for camping/Downieville next weekend so...

I got nothing.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I called enve and they said it sounded like something they should be able to warranty.So, thats good. I still am butthurt, but maybe theyll back their stuff and thatd be good.
if your selling your other 2 rims cause you need to fund your red miata, hollar at me :P

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I was at a local dh race here in Ogden where the Enve's are made. Some of the guys that work there where at the race on Saturday for practice and looked at all the people running the AM wheels for the race.
They just looked at all the bikes and said they should be running the DH wheel.
The bead hook on the DH is thicker and would not break if they hit a rock with low pressure and real rocky terrain.
That being said the AM wheels are great for am ridding.
Again use the right wheel for the job and it's not an issue.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I could see that kind of dough on road wheels if its your thing, they would potentially last a while. For dh riding at 2750 for something that wears out quicker than a pair of sneakers, I dont see it (my senseless 2 cents). I would slap that warranty wheel on a trail bike and hope for the best. get yourself a set of wheels for race days only and consult your rm therapists peeps before you make a purchase.