jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Working at WalMart = suck
Working at Walmart on Black Friday = Mega Suck
Trampled to death while working at WalMart on Black Friday = Eternal Hell

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081128/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_death

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I wonder if anyone is going to sue Walmart for being exposed to a trampling related death. I imagine it would be quite traumatic. And profitable. Not to mention the savings on black friday. It's lose-win-win.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
That is almost too ridiculous to be true...but really sick all the same. Nicely done, Amercian consumers so addled by reality tv that they must have a 50 inch plasma.

Morons.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I told an old man when he mentioned that they announced "ground rules" at a local Walmart this morning prior to 5 am that people at Walmart prior to 5 am were probably not smart enough to follow rules.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
certain black friday deals should come with mandatory sterilizations to keep stupid people from breeding.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My younger brother works in the electronics dept. at Sears and made about $7,000 in commissions today. Not bad for an 18 year old kid.

Survival of the fittest, bitches!

Although that is sucky/sad.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I still believe the world needs my invention - the norplant gun.

In the right hands it can solve a lot of problems.
I would be willing to finance...we could even have branch out into a reality tv show. Kind of like the old "Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom". Jim could stalk the trailer parks, in search of taggable trash...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And this mentality happens in the US every year???
Way more often than that.

The average US consumer is hell bent on buying cheap plastic crap imported from China. They will do anything for a bargain, even kill.

They have bargained shopped their way out of jobs, helped strengthen the Chinese economy and become unwitting proponents of slavery.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i hope that persons family sues WalMart and wins. what a-hole manager would give the door keys to a temp worker to open the store on black friday?!?!? and if the crowd was that crazy, why again didn't a manager go out and tell them all to chill out?!?!? i hope all those idiots who trampled that person realize what it is they did. to add insult to injury (well in this case death), the cops said they weren't even sure anyone would be charged with the death!!! HOW F'ed UP IS THAT!!! they should find all those people and charge them each with some form of murder or manslaughter. this would be a great case to use as a precident for any future a-holes that decide to trample someone over some stupid pre-xmas sale.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
HOW F'ed UP IS THAT!!! they should find all those people and charge them each with some form of murder or manslaughter. this would be a great case to use as a precident for any future a-holes that decide to trample someone over some stupid pre-xmas sale.
Sorry Charlie, you can't charge a mob.

For further reading on the "mob mentality defense" check out Feasibility and Admissibility of Mob Mentality Defenses
Harvard Law Review, Vol. 108, No. 5 (Mar., 1995), pp. 1111-1126

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.

For further reading on the "mob mentality defense" check out Feasibility and Admissibility of Mob Mentality Defenses
forgot you were a lawyer. well that kinda sucks that no one can be held responsible for their actions. so the next time a team in Boston wins a championship i can just run apesh*t over Boston and kill people with the mob and i'm covered? not that i'd do it, but it seems a tad stupid that i couldn't be charged with sometype of murder or manslaughter

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
forgot you were a lawyer. well that kinda sucks that no one can be held responsible for their actions. so the next time a team in Boston wins a championship i can just run apesh*t over Boston and kill people with the mob and i'm covered? not that i'd do it, but it seems a tad stupid that i couldn't be charged with sometype of murder or manslaughter
It doesn't say that at all....the argument is that you should be less accountable for your actions. If you kill someone they will hold you responsible, but for something like rushing forward over someone they would probably find you not accountable. Plus, as people start rushing forward if you try to stop you run the risk of being trampled as well

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
It doesn't say that at all....the argument is that you should be less accountable for your actions. If you kill someone they will hold you responsible, but for something like rushing forward over someone they would probably find you not accountable. Plus, as people start rushing forward if you try to stop you run the risk of being trampled as well
Essentially it goes back to the concept that "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." to bum a phrase from Tommy Lee Jones.

People running as a heard do horrible things, and the idea of the mob mentality defense comes down that we are still big, dumb animals hell bent on getting our plasma screens.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

our two local super wally worlds hired 2 off duty officers to work each location 0800-midnight from black friday until christmas. kinda sad they need us to keep the mongo's from destroying the store...but hey...easy money for me!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like what my buddy from that area responded with:

Long Islanders are a special breed let me tell you