Quantcast

how bad is it if your stem is taller then your head tube?

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i have a really short super t head tube, and it doesn't go all the way through my stem. it comes up about a 10mm too short. just how bad is that?

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'm not sure I would ride without your steerer tube through the stem. If it's a two bolt stem, like most, the steerer may not be clamped by the top bolt. What year is the Super T? You may be able the get a direct mount stem, which doesn't require much steerer if any at all beyond the top crown. Or you could try a stem with a lower stack height.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
As long as the steer tube is long enough so that all the stem bolts are gripping it, you will be fine.

If the top bolt of the stem is above the top of the steerer, you are asking for trouble.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
gonna be a lot cheaper (i think) to just replace your stem, or your headset, and get something with a lower stack height than it would be to change out the steerer...
what stem and headset are you running anyway?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The rule of thumb is, the steerer needs to be long enough to go past the centerline of the top stem bolt. I have seen some really short DH stems but I can't think of who makes them. On a Super T, I would just go for an integrated and be done with it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by awholelota
it's an 01 super t. the tube goes just a little past the top bolt. would there be a way to replace the tube?
If its above the top bolt, your OK.

EDIT Opps. Already said.