Quantcast

How big is a 2.7 Maxxis?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just picked up a pair of what I thought were 2.5 Minion DHFs, only to find when I get home that they're 2.7s. Whilst Maxxis tyres typically come up small, 2.7 still sounds incredibly big. How does it compare to, say, a 2.5 Michelin? I used to run 2.5 Michelins, and currently run 2.5 Hutchinsons (junk) and they seem a reasonable size, but I was perfectly happy with 2.5 Minions also.

I don't really want to take them back as I got a good deal and I doubt the shop has any 2.5s. Arse....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this sounds like the old maxxis stuff. the 2.7's in reality, are 2.5's. They 2.5's are 2.35. You can check with a ruler. For whatever reason they couldnt size tires properly. They have changed this in 2008 (so what the tires are labeled as is the size they actually are)

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hmm, any way to tell if what I have is a 2008 or not? The old 2.5s I was running certainly weren't.

I guess most of my summer riding will be at bike parks or shuttle accessed, so I'm inclined to keep them, at least for the front. They don't seem ridiculously heavy either.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Hmm, any way to tell if what I have is a 2008 or not? The old 2.5s I was running certainly weren't.
I think with their ground-breaking, truly innovative "reality" measuring/labeling system Maxxis is now using that they no longer make a "2.7". Biggest claim I've seen so far was 2.6". And the actuality of that "2.6" was just over 2.5" or so. Go figure. They must use Canadian calipers or something.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
does anything compare to a 2.5 nevegal from any other company? i have intense tires, and a 2.7 is like a 2.5 nevegal, or are nevegals very big? also the michelin 2.8 is what it says, how is a michelin 2.5?

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cheers guys. I'll mount one on the front and see how it feels.

To the guy above, I think it's impossible to say that a particular tyre "is what it says" due to the effect of rim width. For a given rim size, Kenda's definitely come up big, and the old Maxxis system used to come up small. Michelin are somewhere in the middle.