Quantcast

How big of a sell out do you have to be?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I heard on the radio this morning that the "new" Guns and Roses album is being released Exclusively at WalMart.

Ironic that the album is titled "Chinese Democracy".

Granted, I'm not a fan of them, but to sign a deal like that is just sad. Were they not making enough money on the county fair circuit?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I guess WalMart exclusivity is about as far on the other side of the spectrum from what Radiohead did as one band could get.

But I think if G&R tried to pull that, nobody would download it. Not even for free as it's a huge waste of bandwidth.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Welcome to the Wal-Mart,
We've got fun and games,
We've got everything you want,
Honey we know the names,
We are the people that can find,
Whatever you may need,
If you got the money, honey,
We got your disease

In the Wal-Mart
Welcome to the Wal-Mart
Watch it bring us to our
knees, knees
I wanna watch our country bleed

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Welcome to the Wal-Mart,
We've got fun and games,
Honey we know the names,
Whatever you may need,
We got your disease

In the Wal-Mart
Welcome to the Wal-Mart
Watch it bring us to our
knees, knees
:clapping:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Welcome to the Wal-Mart,
We've got fun and games,
Honey we know the names,
Whatever you may need,
We got your disease

In the Wal-Mart
Welcome to the Wal-Mart
Watch it bring us to our
knees, knees
Welcome to the walmart
Our employees get no pay
If you want it they're gonna bleed
But it's the price they pay
And you're a very cheap dumbass
That's very hard to please
You can see the plastic ****
And you'll get it for next to free
In the walmart
Welcome to the walmart
Feel my, my, my firm choke hold
I, I wanna hear you scream

Welcome to the walmart
It gets worse here everyday
Ya learn ta live like an fat-ass slob
In the walmart where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
And you will get it for damn near free

In the Wal-Mart
Welcome to the Wal-Mart
Watch it bring us to our
knees, knees

And when you're high you never
Ever want to come down, so down, so down, so down YEAH!

You know where you are
You're in the walmart baby
You're gonna die
In the walmart
Welcome to the walmart
Watch it bring you to your shu n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,,n knees, knees
In the walmart
Welcome to the walmart
Feel my, my, my firm choke hold
In the walmart
Welcome to the walmart
Watch it bring you to your shun n,n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,,n.n, knees, knees
In the walmart
Welcome to the walmart
Watch it bring you to your
It's gonna bring us down!
Ha!

A walmart opened 4-5 years ago in my town, and I've yet to go in.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
yeah, Axel is a sell out. i guess he figures (or for that matter knows) that the new album won't make a dime so why not sign with Walmart and get some guaranteed cash.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I used to love Guns n Roses. I'll probably even buy the new album. As far as a "Sell Out" goes. In this day & age of music, bands don't make the money they used to. Now you can download music for a couple of bucks, the Ipod/MP3 players are the dagger. It's not like to olden days when who had to buy it on CD, cassette, vinyl or in JBP's case 8 track, or chisel and stone tablet;) The bands of today need the tour to make the money, so maybe what Axl is doing isn't such a bad thing, at least financially for him.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Nirvana sold out to WM too. They changed the art on In Utero so it could be sold in WM. That is when I stopped listening to them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nirvana sold out to WM too. They changed the art on In Utero so it could be sold in WM. That is when I stopped listening to them.
Wasn't it that they made a version that had "rape me" listed as "waif me" or something like that?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I used to love Guns n Roses. I'll probably even buy the new album. As far as a "Sell Out" goes. In this day & age of music, bands don't make the money they used to. Now you can download music for a couple of bucks, the Ipod/MP3 players are the dagger. It's not like to olden days when who had to buy it on CD, cassette, vinyl or in JBP's case 8 track, or chisel and stone tablet;) The bands of today need the tour to make the money, so maybe what Axl is doing isn't such a bad thing, at least financially for him.
So how did Radiohead do so well with the Name Your Price approach (I think they averaged $5 per download. Much better than 20% or whatever)? Also, as I understand it, bands get a larger cut from iTunes sales than from CD sales.

Back in the day, bands made money on tour, not on MTV. So making a bad tour is like making a bike racer ride a bike. Rather than sit back and get paid from Monster Energy Drinks for sporting a shirt at the mall.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
From Wikipedia said:
Still, the song's title was censored as "Waif Me" on Wal-Mart and Kmart releases of In Utero, an intentionally comical name chosen by Cobain himself (he had originally wanted to call it "Sexually Assault Me," but that name was too long). The audio of the song remains uncensored in these versions.
I believe it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
wow it never ceases to amaze me how many people like to jump on the " I hate Walmart" bandwagon...D
I have not been a fan since I lived in Woodburn in '99. I saw first hand what happened to that town in the 2 years I was there. A while back I watched WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price and it further helped me to understand the negative impact they have.

Not saying Target/Kohl's/Others are much better, but at least they aren't as openly offensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I work at a VERY large toy company that will remain nameless. And WM is our biggest customer. A lot of my job involves catering what I design to their demands and specs. And the toy industry isn't the only one that's basically being forced to do this.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Are you surprised people like n8 shop there regardless of the larger picture? Seriously, the US is packed to capacity with sheeple.
exactly...I think Walmart is just the scapegoat for people who aren't willing to accept responsibility for the situation....that being said I have never shopped there...just never needed to...D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
exactly...I think Walmart is just the scapegoat for people who aren't willing to accept responsibility for the situation....that being said I have never shopped there...just never needed to...D
I don't think it's that easy. I think WalMart gets away with crap because they can. That's like saying GWB isn't a bad guy, he just has a bad rep. Stupid people put him into power and he (or at least his partners) have taken full advantage.

Not saying people aren't stupid, just saying WalMart uses it's position to exploit. I don't see them as a scapegoat at all.

I admit I used to shop there before I knew the impact. Knowing what I know now, I am trying to move before the WalMart gets built 5 miles from our house as it will kill the awesome community we live in.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
So how did Radiohead do so well with the Name Your Price approach (I think they averaged $5 per download. Much better than 20% or whatever)? Also, as I understand it, bands get a larger cut from iTunes sales than from CD sales.

Back in the day, bands made money on tour, not on MTV. So making a bad tour is like making a bike racer ride a bike. Rather than sit back and get paid from Monster Energy Drinks for sporting a shirt at the mall.
It's way harder these days, I just heard on the radio that WalMart just signed a deal with AC/DC to sell their next album. Right off the bat it's 3 million copies. So before it's even released into the public, that new album has gone platinum. WalMart pays up front for the album. If you're an artist, that's one hell of a security blanket. It's too good to pass up.