Quantcast

How can adults be reduced to this?!!?!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, so I don't usually post rant threads, but I'm about two seconds away from burning down the office.

A woman who used to work here brought her kid in - the kid is about 6 months old or so. 6 out of the 8 women that work upstairs have been sitting there, for two freakin' hours, making gaa-gaa baby noises at the thing, and muttering completely incomprehensible words.

No wonder kids end up with no damn vocabulary when all they hear for the first two years of their life is "Oooh, look at the widdle budgie bayyy-bay. Does dis widdle bayy-bay want a snacky-wacky-tacky? A joo-ga-joo-ga-joo..."

:mumble:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The voice of reason has lost all reasoning

Personally I think adults have sucky vocabs because growing up, they watched tv and played video games instead of reading. Reading isn't as action-packed, so people don't want to do it anymore. Our whole society hads dumbed down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Okay, so I don't usually post rant threads, but I'm about two seconds away from burning down the office.

A woman who used to work here brought her kid in - the kid is about 6 months old or so. 6 out of the 8 women that work upstairs have been sitting there, for two freakin' hours, making gaa-gaa baby noises at the thing, and muttering completely incomprehensible words.

No wonder kids end up with no damn vocabulary when all they hear for the first two years of their life is "Oooh, look at the widdle budgie bayyy-bay. Does dis widdle bayy-bay want a snacky-wacky-tacky? A joo-ga-joo-ga-joo..."

:mumble:
Aaww, your so cute when your mad. Does wittle BV need a cookie?

:oink:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
:blah: Sounds like somebody needs a little nappy wappy!:blah:

Crap. too slow on the stupid emoticons...
they're so not worth it...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Da Peach said:
:blah: Sounds like somebody needs a little nappy wappy!:blah:

Crap. too slow on the stupid emoticons...
they're so not worth it...
It's time to upgrade your 386 to something a little faster methinks.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
One day when you have an ankle biter of your own you'll understand. Babies can't really do anything entertaining except smile and produce vile colored and pugent poo. Like yourself I hated that "baby talk" crap that ladies have mastered. But you know what? If you want your kid to interact with you when all it can do is eat, sleep, and poop...you'll do it yourself to see the little one smile back at you. Sad, but true.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
moff_quigley said:
One day when you have an ankle biter of your own you'll understand. Babies can't really do anything entertaining except smile and produce vile colored and pugent poo. Like yourself I hated that "baby talk" crap that ladies have mastered. But you know what? If you want your kid to interact with you when all it can do is eat, sleep, and poop...you'll do it yourself to see the little one smile back at you. Sad, but true.
:stupid:

You'll be amazed the stupid stuff you'll do when you start pumping out little BVs and antimonys.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
moff_quigley said:
One day when you have an ankle biter of your own you'll understand.
Oh, I'm mostly kidding anyway. Just having a violent reaction after listening to two solid hours of it without pause.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I like to stand over little cute smiling babies and then scream:

Who the hell do you think you are laying there all day just $hitting all over yourself and expecting others to clean it up?

You can't ever start too early toughening up a kid for the real world.:rofl:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bluebug32 said:
Reading isn't as action-packed, so people don't want to do it anymore.
and when it is, it's trashy written stuff a la _Da Vinci Code_. not to say the book wasn't entertaining, but it's certainly not literature.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Who knew that linguistics course I had to take in college would be useful ...

Baby talk helps begin the the process of learning language for children. It is also something that happens in almost every culture. :teacher:

But yes, it is totally annoying to other people.:mumble:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
and when it is, it's trashy written stuff a la _Da Vinci Code_. not to say the book wasn't entertaining, but it's certainly not literature.
:stupid:

I felt used when I read it. I couldn't finish a chapter and put it down because that bahstid left me hanging on *every* frikkin' one. :mad:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
Oh, I'm mostly kidding anyway. Just having a violent reaction after listening to two solid hours of it without pause.
I feel ya. These three old ladies sit on the front porch next door, 10 ft from my office window, and make baby noises to the grandson they're babysitting every day, for a good 6 hours solid until mom comes to pick him up. The baby I can deal with, I love babies in fact, it's the old ladies that get annoying.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
I felt used when I read it. I couldn't finish a chapter and put it down because that bahstid left me hanging on *every* frikkin' one. :mad:
I would highly recommend NOT reading Digital Fortress by the same author.

When I finished, I couldn't believe I had actually paid several dollars to be mentally abused by such a bad novel.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bluebug32 said:
Personally I think adults have sucky vocabs because growing up, they watched tv and played video games instead of reading.
Yep, it was those damn hours rotting in front of the TV playing Pong. FYI video games have really becom big in the late 80's. That would be your generation "The video game era" When I was growing up we were to busy playing outside with our friends.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Brian HCM#1 said:
Yep, it was those damn hours rotting in front of the TV playing Pong. FYI video games have really becom big in the late 80's. That would be your generation "The video game era" When I was growing up we were to busy playing outside with our friends.
Thanks, Ward Cleaver:)

"Gee whiz, Wally I know lots of big fancy words from playing baseball in the street with Lumpy and Eddie Haskel"

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
bluebug32 said:

Personally I think adults have sucky vocabs because growing up, they watched tv and played video games instead of reading. Reading isn't as action-packed, so people don't want to do it anymore. Our whole society hads dumbed down.
I was actually listening to NPR about a study conducted proving talking to your child in a normal voice increased their vocabulary later and generally made them talk sooner.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I never talked to my little girl that way and tried to stop others from talking that way. She is now 3 yo and has a better vocabulary than most 5 or 6 yo and speaks more clearly than most adults.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bicyclist said:
I was actually listening to NPR about a study conducted proving talking to your child in a normal voice increased their vocabulary later and generally made them talk sooner.
I don't see why it wouldn't. Babies absorb things even if they don't necessarily understand them. Say you kept the kid in a locked room until he was 5 - just because he's old enough at that point to understand and accept most of the world doesn't mean he's prepared for it when you open the door. He's still not going to accept it and understand it as readily as a child who has grown accustomed to the things around them.

Why wouldn't they be better prepared to speak if they are spoken to normally before they are old enough to understand?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
binary visions said:
Why wouldn't they be better prepared to speak if they are spoken to normally before they are old enough to understand?
Yup. Makes sense to me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
I never talked to my little girl that way and tried to stop others from talking that way. She is now 3 yo and has a better vocabulary than most 5 or 6 yo and speaks more clearly than most adults.
I can just imagine what you were saying to her.

Hi sweety, what tires do you think will be working best for this ride? I would like a tire to brake well as well and grip for climbing. What do you think the Maxxis Minion UST-R, Michelin Comp 24 (though they are a different size this year or the Kenda Nevegal? Now that we figured out which tire, which direction should I run it in?;);););):cool: :)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
bluebug32 said:

my spanish vocabulary is sucking more and more with each day.

i speak worse than when i finished high school, since i never took a spanish class since then... i suck at english, and my spanish stayed at almost hs grad level... niiiiiice.

i think its the enviroment. if your dont talk with people who talk with appropriate grammar and a sizable vocabulary, you´ll start to suck.
i talk to my nieces like i´d talk with an adult, except i call them by diminutives of their names. i hope they dont grow up talking spanish like puerto ricans or something... :p

i spend too much time reading english stuff and at work (where i have to speak da engrish).

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
binary visions said:
...."Oooh, look at the widdle budgie bayyy-bay. Does dis widdle bayy-bay want a snacky-wacky-tacky? A joo-ga-joo-ga-joo...":mumble:
You do that almost TOO good. :D

Hold on a second, I thought that turquois thing you wear on the top of your head is a baby translator you invented.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Homer's half-brother Herb invented the baby translator, not Prof. Frink - get your Simpsons trivia straight :D