Quantcast

How can I "downgrade" Windows?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I want to go from XP to 2000 Pro on my laptop, and it wont boot from the CD. And since its an "older" version of Windows, it wont let me install from Windows.....

any ideas?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
I want to go from XP to 2000 Pro on my laptop, and it wont boot from the CD. And since its an "older" version of Windows, it wont let me install from Windows.....

any ideas?
Will it boot from any CD that has an OS on it at all?

If not, you need to tell it to select "cd first" in the boot selection option via the BIOS, then reboot to CD.

If it's a real W2K cd it will boot from it. Take the cd out, back up everything first, then reformat and install.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you have your BIOS set to boot from the CD-rom? If you have another W2K computer available you can always make some boot floppies.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I would call a move from XP to 2000 an UPGRADE.

Remember that your install is key to the long term health of your system. Install apps one at a time and test before installing the next one. Be patient and take your time.
bluebug32 said:
wait for viruses to downgrade it for you
You only get viruses if you don't maintain your anti virus software. If you are not running AV software I have no pity for you.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
BigMike said:
Yeah, I consider it an upgrade too, but..... the computer doesnt think so. Thats why there were quotes on the "downgrade"
like others have suggested the cleanest and safest way is gonna be to format the HD and start from scratch. You can always use something like a removable USB hard drive to back up any data you need from XP and then move it back over once 2K is installed. XP has much better driver support though. want to sell me your copy of XP?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As far as I know, you cannot install an older version of Windows over a newer version of Windows. You have to format or delete your Windows directory.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Do you have your BIOS set to boot from the CD-rom? If you have another W2K computer available you can always make some boot floppies.
*slap*

We already covered that. Keep up!

:D

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
its impossible to downgrade from XP. unless you re-format.
been there before.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
BigMike said:
OK, so how can I format C: if windows is installed on it?
boot off a win2k install cd. remove that partition. create new one and install on that. you don't want to format while you are running on that OS, not on purpose anyways.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Sorry, I tend to ignore your posts when your not being evil. Helpfull does not look good on you.
May angry policemen hold you in their urine stream for your insolence.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
robdamanii said:
Um, if you hit F8 I think on startup you can get a menu to select a dos prompt. At least my XP machine does.

Or are you saying it won't let you format from THAT prompt?
Correct!

The only choice it gives me is Safe mode with command prompt, and that boots you into windows.

Windows is really stupid and proprietary. I think i'm just gonna stick in one of my Linux discs to get it to format :sneaky:

All I'm trying to do is make my old laptop perform better so I can give it to my Girlfriend!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
Correct!

The only choice it gives me is Safe mode with command prompt, and that boots you into windows.

Windows is really stupid and proprietary. I think i'm just gonna stick in one of my Linux discs to get it to format :sneaky:

All I'm trying to do is make my old laptop perform better so I can give it to my Girlfriend!
Hrm. My windows has a plain prompt option. It won't boot to windows unless you actually go into the c:/windows directory and run windows from the command prompt.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a Mac, so technically I have *nix too :think:

And I have a Windows Machine, now i'm just trying to reformat my old laptop that is being wonky to work for Jen

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I can't believe you guys (most of you anyway)! You're making it soooooo hard when it's easy! you don't need DOS. DOS IS DEAD!

Dude, fire up your machine. Go into the BIOS. Set it to boot from the CD drive first. Put in your Win2K CD. Reboot. Watch the screen, when it says, "Press any key to boot from CD" press any key.

The CD will load what it needs. Folow the prompts from there to remove any and all existing partitions. Create new partition, format using NTFS, let it install. BAMMO! You have just installed windows.

If you have an illigitimate disc let me know and I'll mail you a legit one with a key.

Mac? P'shaw! Get a computer, not a toy

Linux? Please! The guy can barely install windows. Linux is going to be a hundred times more involved and geeky.

You can do it mang! :thumb: Just don't listen to any of us!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
I can't believe you guys (most of you anyway)! You're making it soooooo hard when it's easy! you don't need DOS. DOS IS DEAD!

Dude, fire up your machine. Go into the BIOS. Set it to boot from the CD drive first. Put in your Win2K CD. Reboot. Watch the screen, when it says, "Press any key to boot from CD" press any key.

The CD will load what it needs. Folow the prompts from there to remove any and all existing partitions. Create new partition, format using NTFS, let it install. BAMMO! You have just installed windows.

If you have an illigitimate disc let me know and I'll mail you a legit one with a key.

Linux? Please! The guy can barely install windows. Linux is going to be a hundred times more involved and geeky.

Yeah! What I said!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ciaran, That is the problem. IT WONT BOOT FROM THE CD. I know how to boot from a CD, I know how to use a computer, and I'm telling you, it WILL not boot from this CD.

And no, Linux is not too geeky for me, I ran it for a long time, and still have a box running it. I do know a lot about computers, just for some reason uninstalling XP is giving me problems

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
SkaredShtles said:
Have you installed Linux lately? It practically installs itself. And it makes a cappucino for you while it's installing. :D
Yeah but having an operable OS after the install is still a crapshoot.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Have you installed Linux lately? It practically installs itself. And it makes a cappucino for you while it's installing. :D
Actually I built a Linux box about 3 weeks ago. I never have trouble with the basic install of the OS, it's the drivers and apps that gets me. But then I have very little experience with Linux. I focus on Windows because that's what I have to support at work.

I could use a cappucino making OS.
BigMike said:
Ciaran, That is the problem. IT WONT BOOT FROM THE CD. I know how to boot from a CD, I know how to use a computer, and I'm telling you, it WILL not boot from this CD.

And no, Linux is not too geeky for me, I ran it for a long time, and still have a box running it. I do know a lot about computers, just for some reason uninstalling XP is giving me problems
Hmmm... OK... I assume that the BIOS is set to have the CD drive as the first boot device. Is the PC not picking up the CD at all on boot? Like someone else said, have you tried other bootable CD's to determine if it's the CD, or the drive/PC? If the BIOS is set correctly it sounds like either the CD is hosed, it's flashing the "Press any key to boot from CD" screen so fast that you don't see it, or the CD drive is hosed.

Well, worst case senario is that you go to bootdisk.com http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download a win2kboot disk.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
BigMike said:

will it boot from other CDs? I've had iso images that I "found" on the internet before that were supposed to be bootable but for whatever reason were not. I'm no expert when it comes to windows (linux sys admin) but if you can't boot off the install cd how will you get it installed? You got boot floppies or something like that?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Ciaran said:

I like that the mac version of those instructions is: "Turn it on, Put in CD, hold down C" :eviltongu