Quantcast

how close is too close between your cranks and chainstay?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The limit is ultimately determined by the repulsive force defined by two positive nuclei interacting with each other.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's no hard and fast rule for this. but you'll need enough space to accommodate frame / crank flex under load. don't forget this can/will also impact your chain alignment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’ve run just a mm or two on each side, put some tape against the stays to see if I was brushing against it. Modern cranks and bbs are pretty stiff. Had to run my old 170-axle Turbines when I was warranting my 190-axle Next SLs on my fat bike and that was TIGHT. Pretty sure I couldn’t get away with this with an old square taper BB and sugino cranks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do you know what year? I'm certain the SLX will fit. Q factor is 176 and shimano does things like shaping their crank arms for clearance. Rotor's are straight metal bars. XTR trail will fit, which is 168. XX1 gave issue, but allegedly this frame was changed for 2015 (my year) and XX1s came in both 158 and 168, so there's a chance it was simply the narrow q-factor cranks that gave issue.

Either way, the rotors MIGHT contact at both the yoke and the pedal part of the chainstay- they simply aren't wide enough. It's too close to call with paper, so I've got to go the shimano route unless rotor wants to send me a demo crank to try out!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
do you know what year? I'm certain the SLX will fit. Q factor is 176 and shimano does things like shaping their crank arms for clearance. Rotor's are straight metal bars. XTR trail will fit, which is 168. XX1 gave issue, but allegedly this frame was changed for 2015 (my year) and XX1s came in both 158 and 168, so there's a chance it was simply the narrow q-factor cranks that gave issue.

Either way, the rotors MIGHT contact at both the yoke and the pedal part of the chainstay- they simply aren't wide enough. It's too close to call with paper, so I've got to go the shimano route unless rotor wants to send me a demo crank to try out!
I bought them in January 2012.