Quantcast

how come my tomatos look like they are dying?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I planted some from seeds, the seedlings are about 5 inches tall with a few good leaves. I put them in new pots, watered them, put them back in the same indoor location and they look like they are dead or dying or something.

what's the deal, yo?

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
you're talking about weed right?

too much light, wrong light, aphid attack, not enough nutrients, too much nutrients, pH is off, the list goes on.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pictures would help.

Older leaves or the younger leaves dying?

Since you just transplanted them, I would have to guess transplant shock. Don't water until the soil is nearly dry. It will help to force the roots out and keep them from getting diseased.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
fuzzynutz said:
you're talking about weed right?

too much light, wrong light, aphid attack, not enough nutrients, too much nutrients, pH is off, the list goes on.
yes, because "tomato" is now a code word for weed. :rolleyes: Not everyone is a retarded stoner you know.

edit: retarded in that they think they need to use code words for weed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Transcend said:
yes, because "tomato" is now a code word for weed. :rolleyes: Not everyone is a retarded stoner you know.
To be fair to the moron, Tomatoes and Weed apparantly need the same sort of conditions and nutrients to grow, and respond similarly to the same issues. Not that I'd actually know.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Changleen said:
To be fair to the moron, Tomatoes and Weed apparantly need the same sort of conditions and nutrients to grow, and respond similarly to the same issues. Not that I'd actually know.
Sure, but they are still tomatoes. He called them tomatoes. If he meant weed, I'm sure he woulda said WEED.:rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Changleen said:
I always kinda pictured PNJ as a bit of a stoner... :shrug:
Maybe, doesn't bother me either way. Just sayin, it's not like anyone around here cares about someone saying pot? So, I'd assume he's just say "hay guys...my weed is having issues!", that's all.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Wumpus said:
Pictures would help.

Older leaves or the younger leaves dying?

Since you just transplanted them, I would have to guess transplant shock. Don't water until the soil is nearly dry. It will help to force the roots out and keep them from getting diseased.

the entire little plant is wilted and looking like death...

I thought you were supposed to water when you transplant. dammit!

all the other plants are fine, marigolds, sweet peas, etc... just the tomates are suckin...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...could be plant SIDS.

pnj, my botany teacher says to water them when you transplant, so I dunno. Not saying Wumus doesnt know, cause I know he has some experience, but Ive heard otherwise at school. But likely it is transplant shock of somekind...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pnj said:
the entire little plant is wilted and looking like death...

I thought you were supposed to water when you transplant. dammit!

all the other plants are fine, marigolds, sweet peas, etc... just the tomates are suckin...
Sorry if that wasn't clear. You want to water right after you transplant to clear the air pockets and get good soil contact with the transplant which I figured you did. Don't water again until the soil dries down.

A full on plant wilt sounds like you damaged the roots. Drying down will help fight disease and allow some air to get in. If the tip is dying then they are probably done for, but if the tip still looks alive there is a chance for recovery.

Edit -- when you transplant make sure that you maintain the original soil line of the transplant. If you bury it farther than the original, you are liable to rot the base of the stem and lose the plant.